Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Infant Baptism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Free said:
Would I be right in stating that infant baptism is then used as a means of conferring God's grace until such a time as they are old enough to choose to follow Christ?

Yes. We see it as a seed that will rise in its due time, again by the Spirit.

Free said:
That is pretty much the way I see it which is pretty much the same as Evangicalism's "baby dedication", or whatever term a church or denomination uses.

Personally, I have no problem with infant baptism used a means of conferring God's grace for protection, for future guidance, and welcoming the infant into the Church until such a time as they must choose for themselves whether or not they will follow Christ.

We also have Confirmation. If you add the two sacraments together (as they are in the Orthodox Church) perhaps the combined understanding comes closer to what you are saying (but not those who say there is no effect from the sacrament).

Regards

Dear Francisdesales,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me some of these quotes. You addressed me directly, and I want to respond.

Scripture says that John the Baptist, who Mark said preached a baptism of repentance, taught that one should repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. He was preparing the way for Jesus, and teaching that if men would repent then God would forgive their sins, through baptism in water, a turning away from evil and living in good conscience toward God. This was a shadow of things coming, because Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit. Noah was sealed into the Ark and brought to salvation through the waters, as a type of baptism. Israel was baptized unto Moses through the cloud and the sea and brought to salvation. These were shadows of things to come for God's chosen. I believe that it is so connected that we can not even split repent and be baptized, because now this washing is more than the water, but it is also a supernatural baptism into Jesus Christ, into the church, and a death to sin and disobedience. This is the very reason why we should not treat it lightly by baptizing those who have not repented, those who have not put away disobedience. We also should not use it simply as a symbolic keeping of a child, or as a rite that brings salvation apart from true repentance...this seems superstitious to me. Baptism is too important to be used for anything other than what it was meant according to Scripture, and even according to these early Christian writers you have quoted.

I would like to address your quotes. First, I want to make clear that I believe we can glean God's Truth from many places, and I believe there is much Truth in the writings of these men, but they are not Scripture.

Hermas is not one of my favorites, but I would like to point out that he stresses repentance, and baptism, for the remission of sins. In fact, the whole book is about repentance. Repentance comes first, and there is not remission without it...even for those who are baptized by the church. The church should not be baptizing the unbeliever, or the unrepentant. Hermas does not say it is something we can do for infants to ensure their salvation. He stresses walking in obedience to the commands of God. He himself failed to bring his children up in the fear of the Lord, and failed to discipline them, and it is very evident that he was being offered a chance to repent (of his own backsliding acts), and for them to repent.

Barnabas never separates the cross from the water. He mentions Moses further down and speaks about how he had to make the sign of the cross in order for Israel to win the battle...both the cross and the water. Jesus is the living water, and He baptizes with the Holy Spirit, which produces fruits...So, we are washed clean from our sins through repentance, and through the blood and water that flowed from the cross, through baptism into Jesus Christ alone, and we, like Jesus, become the vessels of the Holy Spirit. This is a highly spiritual thing, and only for the believer. It is not just the sprinkling, or immersing, of water alone, that saves, but rather the living water of God. He never endorses infant baptism in the writing you mentioned, nor does he separate baptism from the cross, but actually points out that our baptism is in Jesus Christ only because of the cross.

Justin Martyr says that with praying and fasting do we gain the remission of our sins. He quotes Isaiah, and says for us to was our sin, and put away the evil doing of our souls...(sounds like Paul's thought about pointing our conscience toward God)...Then the Lord is the one who will make us clean. The water is not separate from putting away the evil doing. Justin goes on to say that this washing is illumination, or understanding, that those who believe, and repent, are then baptized because they understand that the water is the washing away of sin...the putting off disobedience. It is only a rite of Christians, of believers, of the repentant, only then can we be free from sin truly. It is not baptism alone, as it would have to be for the infant.

Tertulian, who was answering those who did not believe in baptism, never says it is for those who have not repented. He says that Christ is the only one who did not need to repent. Believe it or not, I actually really like Tertulian. I think he makes great points about baptism and water, but I think repentance is something he did not take out of the formula.

To clarify, my post was not denying the need for baptism of the believer. In fact, I was trying to stress that repentance must come with baptism, and that it is too important to casually be used for other purposes, and that a believer must go on in obedience...sanctifying God in their hearts. I believe in baptism wholeheartedly, and put great weight on the ritual (when it is genuine), but it is the baptism of infants that I oppose...those who do not repent. It is empty for them. I say that to refute the underscored part of what you quote by Tertulian, which seemed to indicate that you thought I was teaching that we should not be baptized...I would ask you to read my post again in light of the op. Baptism is only for those who believe, and repent, and are willing to walk forward in obedience...freely being able to because of the cross, and because they have the hope of the resurrection.

It is not my intention to debate, because I believe that God turns hearts on such things, but I do think this topic is important and wanted to share my thoughts orginally, and now more specifically. The Catholics are not the only denomination who believe in infant baptism, and they are not the first to come to my mind really. There was a time when I would have agreed with free's posts, but not after studying the topic more closely. Baptism is so important, and we should not use it improperly...like opening it to unbelievers...and we should not use it sentimentally, or superstitiously, like the keeping of a child. Dedicating our children is doing the work I mentioned in my first post, and praying. Forgive my intensity, and please do not interpret it as being argumentative. I feel passionately about it, as I am sure we all do.

I understand we disagree, but I ask you to consider my last two points seriously in light of Scripture, and with the knowledge that my post is only written in love. The Lord bless you today.

Lovely - thank you for that last post. Not only for what you said, but how you said it.

I know I am offender of this as well, but recently it appears that there has become a lack of civility in the discussions. Thank you for reminding me, that I need to be more civil and follow the words of Eph 4:29 "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."

Lovely,

If only more people on this forum was able to give such polite and intelligent responses.

lovely said:
Scripture says that John the Baptist, who Mark said preached a baptism of repentance, taught that one should repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. He was preparing the way for Jesus, and teaching that if men would repent then God would forgive their sins, through baptism in water, a turning away from evil and living in good conscience toward God. This was a shadow of things coming, because Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit.

Agreed. The sacraments of the New Covenant were the fulfillment of the Old Testament sacraments, the rituals of circumcision being replaced by Baptism. Scriptures note that Baptism does MORE than what Circumcision did because we are buried with Chirst in our Baptism (Rom 6). We believe that the Spirit comes to us during Baptism, just as in Acts, when the believers were baptized first in John's Baptism, and then rebaptized with the Spirit in Acts (sorry, don't have a bible handy). It was only with the laying of hands and the baptism promulgated by Christ did they receive the Spirit - although, presumably, they had already been forgiven of sins (or at least prepared by John's baptism that they had received). Thus, the OT rituals were a shadow of the good things to come - that God would work behind the scene of the NT rituals, the sacraments.

lovely said:
I would like to address your quotes. First, I want to make clear that I believe we can glean God's Truth from many places, and I believe there is much Truth in the writings of these men, but they are not Scripture.

I am impressed. Most Protestants do not wish to discuss the Church Fathers, or have very little knowledge of them. Although they individually are not inspired by God, their writings are insight into what the early Christian Church did and believed. They are historical documents of theological thought, at least. Thus, when I see that they regarded baptism as necessary for the forgiveness of sins (ordinarily, not absolutely), I take it that that was what they believed and what they were taught. I do not see a motive for them to invent new stuff, ESPECIALLY to get the future Protestants upset! My point of listing their writings was to show that they believed what we Catholics believe today and that we didn't just make it up.

lovely said:
To clarify, my post was not denying the need for baptism of the believer. In fact, I was trying to stress that repentance must come with baptism, and that it is too important to casually be used for other purposes, and that a believer must go on in obedience...sanctifying God in their hearts. I believe in baptism wholeheartedly, and put great weight on the ritual (when it is genuine), but it is the baptism of infants that I oppose...those who do not repent. It is empty for them. I say that to refute the underscored part of what you quote by Tertulian, which seemed to indicate that you thought I was teaching that we should not be baptized...

In Circumcision, the parents usually covenanted with God on behalf of the child. God intended for it to be this way, as virtually all Jews were and are circumcised at infancy. The result is that they are now part of the People of God. That is ONE of the effects of Baptism, but not the only one, which is why circumcision is only a shadow of Baptism (Col 2:11-12). It has no saving power, Paul wrote to the Galatians (5:6 and 6:15). However, as Peter wrote, in the New Covenant, "Baptism saves". So apparently, the earliest Christians found it acceptable to bring up their children in the House of God as part of the People of God. The sacrament of Confirmation does what you consider are the rest of the effects of Baptism, confirming the Christian in his OWN faith.

lovely said:
It is not my intention to debate, because I believe that God turns hearts on such things, but I do think this topic is important and wanted to share my thoughts orginally, and now more specifically.... I understand we disagree, but I ask you to consider my last two points seriously in light of Scripture, and with the knowledge that my post is only written in love. The Lord bless you today.

And to you, too, brother.

I have recently come to think that N. American evangelical culture often promotes the idea that that the "material" world is "disconnected" from a superior separate world of "spirit". I am inclined to think that this is not a correct position and I unashamedly would say that I have a generally monistic world view in the sense that I think that "its all tangled together".

So, as many here will know, I believe that heaven will be a "physical" place and that humans do not have "souls" or "spirits" in the specific sense of an immaterial entity that can survive apart from the body. We have fought tooth and nail about this in other threads.

I am reminded of the cartoon where philosopher A has written "air, fire, water, earth" on a blackboard and is responding to a question from philisopher B (the actual question is only implied by the cartoon). Philosopher A, points at his last and says "What do you mean, what about the rest? that's it!"

This kind of captures how I see things (crudely).

In the "spirit" of the foregoing, I will propose the following. Perhaps the act of physical baptism actually changes the "state" of the human person in a real (not just symbolic) sense. If the distinction between the "material" and the "spiritual" is not a real distinction, it seems entirely plausible that "physical" acts, such as baptism, might indeed have "spiritual" consequences.

In defence of this, I will offer the following from Romans 8:

The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

I believe that the following can drawn from this and other texts: believers will be given "redeemed" bodies when we are all called forth at the same time from the sleep of death (I can hears the cries of "soul sleep heresy"). The key point for the present purposes: Not only will our physical bodies be "redeemed", creation in general will be redeemed and perfected. So we have an example of the intimate connection between the state of man and the state of the created order. To me, this intimate connection between man and the rest of the material world makes it plausible to consider that dunking someone in water might indeed confer some real redemptive value.

To keep this post reasonably short, I have made the argument less detailed than I would have liked.

Drew said:
I have recently come to think that N. American evangelical culture often promotes the idea that that the "material" world is "disconnected" from a superior separate world of "spirit". I am inclined to think that this is not a correct position and I unashamedly would say that I have a generally monistic world view in the sense that I think that "its all tangled together".

So, as many here will know, I believe that heaven will be a "physical" place and that humans do not have "souls" or "spirits" in the specific sense of an immaterial entity that can survive apart from the body. We have fought tooth and nail about this in other threads.

I am reminded of the cartoon where philosopher A has written "air, fire, water, earth" on a blackboard and is responding to a question from philisopher B (the actual question is only implied by the cartoon). Philosopher A, points at his last and says "What do you mean, what about the rest? that's it!"

This kind of captures how I see things (crudely).

In the "spirit" of the foregoing, I will propose the following. Perhaps the act of physical baptism actually changes the "state" of the human person in a real (not just symbolic) sense. If the distinction between the "material" and the "spiritual" is not a real distinction, it seems entirely plausible that "physical" acts, such as baptism, might indeed have "spiritual" consequences.

In defence of this, I will offer the following from Romans 8:

The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

I believe that the following can drawn from this and other texts: believers will be given "redeemed" bodies when we are all called forth at the same time from the sleep of death (I can hears the cries of "soul sleep heresy"). The key point for the present purposes: Not only will our physical bodies be "redeemed", creation in general will be redeemed and perfected. So we have an example of the intimate connection between the state of man and the state of the created order. To me, this intimate connection between man and the rest of the material world makes it plausible to consider that dunking someone in water might indeed confer some real redemptive value.

To keep this post reasonably short, I have made the argument less detailed than I would have liked.

Drew
Perhaps this will make a good thread..on its own. I see some interesting things in there. Why not start a new thread?

jgredline said:
Drew
Perhaps this will make a good thread..on its own. I see some interesting things in there. Why not start a new thread?
Maybe we will, my preciousssss.......yesssss, maybe we will!

I believe infant baptism is basically no different then adult baptism, time is the determining factor. Those who are truly the Lord's will pass the test of time. I believe God has indeed made a covenant with my entire family, all of my children were baptized as infants except one (she was adopted at age nine). Thus far all my children but the 3 year old have made a confession that Jesus is their Savior. Since my God is faithful, I have every reason to believe Maddie my 3 year old will also follow suit. Those who are really interested in infant baptism please read article at this site:

http://www.opc.org/cce/tracts/WhyInfantBaptism.html

Grace, Bubba

Bubba said:
I believe infant baptism is basically no different then adult baptism, time is the determining factor. Those who are truly the Lord's will pass the test of time. I believe God has indeed made a covenant with my entire family, all of my children were baptized as infants except one (she was adopted at age nine). Thus far all my children but the 3 year old have made a confession that Jesus is their Savior. Since my God is faithful, I have every reason to believe Maddie my 3 year old will also follow suit. Those who are really interested in infant baptism please read article at this site:

http://www.opc.org/cce/tracts/WhyInfantBaptism.html

Grace, Bubba

Bubba - as I understand your post you are not suggesting that baptism saves.

While I can appreciate your position on infant baptism - I would see it more as a dedication to the Lord - rather than a baptism. However, I cannot see it Biblically to suggest that baptism itself is enough to save.

aLoneVoice said:
Bubba - as I understand your post you are not suggesting that baptism saves.

While I can appreciate your position on infant baptism - I would see it more as a dedication to the Lord - rather than a baptism. However, I cannot see it Biblically to suggest that baptism itself is enough to save.

Alonevoice,
I am saying that God saves us through Jesus' sacrifice, yet He is nonetheless a covenant God. If you read the web site I posted, I think you will understand the Reform perspective on infant baptism. As I see it, the only thing consistantly dedicated in Scripture were inanimate objects, not people. People were given over to God, because unless He changed the heart, all are lost (Ephesian 2:1-10).
Grace Bubba

Part of article on infant baptism by Larry Wilson:

God includes the children of believers as members of this church. Our baptistic brethren sometimes wonder why we consider the children of believers to be members of the church. The reason is that ...

The living God himself embraced the children of believers as members of his church. Genesis 17:7â€â€"I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you."

Further, God nowhere rescinded this principle that the children of believers are church members. This is very significant. In order to maintain their position, those who oppose infant baptism have to prove that he did rescind this principle. Where does the Bible teach that? This is a question that demands an answer. Matthew Henry put it this way,

Our opponents call upon us to prove by express Scripture that infants are in the covenant; but certainly, having proved even to demonstration that they were in the covenant, it lies upon them to show where and when they were thrown out of the covenant; which they were never yet able to prove, no, not by the least footstep of a consequence. It is as clear as the sun at noon-day that the seed of believers had a right to the initiating seal of the covenant; and how came they to lose that right?
If the seed of believers who were taken into the covenant, and had a right to the intiating seal under the Old Testament, are now turned out of the covenant, and deprived of that right, then the times of the law were more full of grace than the times of the gospel; which is absurd. Can it be imagined that the Gentiles are, in respect of their children, in a worse state than they were under the [Old Testament]? Then, if a Gentile was proselytised and taken into the covenant, his seed was taken in with him; and is that privilege denied now? Is the seed of Abraham's faith in a worse condition than the seed of Abraham's flesh?
And, you see, the baptistic view is built on this hidden assumptionâ€â€the assumption that, in the New Testament, children of believers are no longer members of the church.

But when you read the New Testament you find just the opposite! The New Testament lines right up with the Old Testament in continuing to assume that children of believers are included in the church.

Our Lord Jesus Christ assumed that children of believers are part of his church. Luke 18:15-16â€â€"People were also bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. But Jesus called the children to him and said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.' "

The apostle Peter also assumed that the children of believers were included in the church. Acts 2:39â€â€"For the promise is to you and to your children...." Shades of Genesis 17:7! Peter was talking to Jewsâ€â€people who were steeped in the Old Testament. If he intended to teach that God was rescinding the principle of church membership for covenant children, then he chose the exact wrong language!

"Wait a minute!" someone might object. "Peter is not talking about the promise to Abraham! He says he's talking about the promise of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38), doesn't he?" Well, look again at Galatians 3:14, "He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit." The promise to Abraham involves the promise of the Spirit. And so Peter is saying that the promise to Abraham is to you and your children right now in the New Testament era!

Likewise, the apostle Paul assumed that children of believers were included in the church. If he was trying to teach that God no longer included covenant children in the church, he used the exact wrong words in Acts 16:31â€â€"Believe [singular] in the Lord Jesus, and you [singular] will be savedâ€â€you [singular] and your household."

Again, in 1 Corinthians 7:14, Paul assumed that God includes children in his covenant community, the churchâ€â€"For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy." The word holy is a covenant word. It means "set apart." Children of even one believer are "holy," set apart in a special way to God.

Again, in Ephesians 1:1 Paul said that he was writing his epistle "to the saints in Ephesus." That word "saint" comes from the word "holy." "Saint" literally means "holy one." In Ephesians 6:1, Paul directly addressed some of these "holy ones" who were part of the church in Ephesusâ€â€"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right."

You see, the children of believers are part of the church. God himself included them as members in the Old Testament, and God never took back this "you and your children" principle. Rather, the New Testament confirms it and carries it on.

In regards to infant dedication verses infant baptism by Dennis Johnson:

A Biblical Case for Infant Dedication in the New Testament Is Far Weaker than the Case for Infant Baptism. If we are looking for a biblical justification for how we treat the infants of believers, it seems to me that it is far harder to make a case for dedication than for infant baptism. Consider the biblical examples of infant dedications: There was Samuel, whom his mother Hannah promised to return to the Lord for tabernacle service even before he was conceived (1 Sam. 1:11, 24-28). But Hannah’s dedication of Samuel did not replace his circumcision, of course. Rather, it made him a “Nazirite,†whose uncut hair signified his special consecration as a servant of God (1 Sam. 1:11; Num. 6:1-21). Nor is it treated as an ongoing pattern for Israelite infants in the Old Testament, let alone for the children of believers in the New Testament. There were Samson and John the Baptist (also Nazirites from conception), whom God had promised to barren parents and set apart for his own special purposes even before their conception (Judges 13:3-5; Luke 1:13-17).

Then there is the presentation of Jesus in the temple (Luke 2:22-24) when he was about 41 days old. (He was circumcised at 8 days, and then 33 days later Mary could be “purified†following her son’s birth, Lev. 12:37). But we should notice that this presentation fulfills the command that came from the Exodus from Egypt, and specifically the night when the Passover lamb died in the place of the Israelites’ firstborn: “Every firstborn male shall be called holy to the Lord†(Exod. 13:2). Firstborn animals were to be sacrificed as holy to the Lord (Exod. 13:12). Firstborn sons were to be redeemed (Exod. 13:15). It is hard for me to see how this Old Testament custom, which had to be observed carefully for Jesus since he came to fulfill every requirement of the Law of Moses, could be viewed as a model for Christians dedicating their children. Christian infant dedication services don’t mention the ceremonial purification of the infant’s mother after the birth; they are performed not only for firstborn sons but also for later children – of both genders! They do not involve offering sacrifices for the redemption of the child from death or the purification of the mother. In all these ways Christian infant dedication services today are very different from Jesus’ presentation to the Lord at the age of a month and a half – and they should be! The Old Testament sacrificial system, which included the redemption of Israel’s firstborn and the ceremonial cleansing of Israel’s mothers, was fulfilled in the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

Because I find no convincing biblical command or example that would provide a basis for infant dedication by Christian parents today, if we have to choose between infant dedication and infant baptism on the basis of biblical evidence, it seems clear that the weight of biblical evidence favors infant baptism because of the continuity between circumcision and baptism as signs of entry into God’s community.

“Dedication†Focuses More on the Parents’ Action Than on God’s Promise of Grace through Faith. Finally, infant dedication as a ceremony lacks an important element that infant baptism has: infant baptism encourages us and our children to trust in Christ by symbolizing the promises of God, achieved for us by Christ and received by faith alone. Dedication tends to focus more on what we do than on what Christ has done. As parents look back on that day with their kids, they are saying, “We dedicated you to the Lord’s service when you were a baby.†On the other hand, as “infant baptist†parents look back on the day of their child’s baptism, they say to her, “On that day long ago, the Lord Jesus promised to you that if you trust him he will wash away your sins and give you a heart to love and serve him by the power of his Spirit. Just as the water ‘cleansed’ your baby skin, so the Holy Spirit will make your heart clean if you trust in Jesus, because Jesus died for the sins of everybody who trusts in him.†You can see the difference. Both sets of parents are calling their kids to respond in faith, and both sets do so by teaching the Gospel about what Jesus did for us in his sacrifice on the cross, but children baptized as infants have received a sign/symbol that points directly to that gift of God’s grace.

I believe that Infant Dedication and Infant Baptism is the same because I believe that Infant Baptism is just a dedication of infants to Christ. I also believe that Adult Baptism is just a dedication of adults to Christ. :-D

Bubba said:
In regards to infant dedication verses infant baptism by Dennis Johnson:...

bubba,

Thanks for your posts on children in the plan of God. I am amazed that the New Covenant, one that was supposed to excel and fulfil the old one, would be considered ineffective by some in allowing children into a covenant with God, when the Old Covenant had such a proviso. Are we to believe that the New Covenant is LESS encompassing? The New Covenant extends to ALL the people, but only over 21? Seems a bit silly and contradictory.

Thanks for the clips, they are instructive.

Joe

francisdesales said:
bubba,

Thanks for your posts on children in the plan of God. I am amazed that the New Covenant, one that was supposed to excel and fulfil the old one, would be considered ineffective by some in allowing children into a covenant with God, when the Old Covenant had such a proviso. Are we to believe that the New Covenant is LESS encompassing? The New Covenant extends to ALL the people, but only over 21? Seems a bit silly and contradictory.

Joe

Joe, who is making those claims? And what is with the age of 21?

The issue I have with infant baptism is when it is argued that children are 'saved' by being baptized. Scripture does not support that. Scripture is clear that we must REPENT and be BAPTIZED. An infant cannot repent.

francisdesales said:
bubba,

Joe

Joe,
Christendom sometimes just doesn't think things through, if the Old Testament is the shadow of the substance that is now found in Christ, how much more relevant is covenant thought.
Praises, Bubba

aLoneVoice said:
Joe, who is making those claims? And what is with the age of 21?

The issue I have with infant baptism is when it is argued that children are 'saved' by being baptized. Scripture does not support that. Scripture is clear that we must REPENT and be BAPTIZED. An infant cannot repent.

aLoneVoice,

Those who say one can ONLY enter the Church, become Baptized, as an adult. The age of 21 is usually considered that age, although I suppose I could have used 18 if you think drinking makes someone an adult!

The word "saved" means different things to us, as I have strived to point out over and over again in different threads. Please take that into account when we discuss these issues. A person can be baptized, be saved, be a child of God - and then reject their inheritance later in life and die without Christ...

An infant cannot repent. But that is not the ONLY sin that is removed at Baptism. Have you forgotten original sin? We don't have to "repent" of original sin. It is part of our born condition. Why wait? Original sin keeps us from God.

Jesus said "do not keep the children from me". Apparently, the first Christians did not.

Regards

aLoneVoice,

Those who say one can ONLY enter the Church, become Baptized, as an adult. The age of 21 is usually considered that age, although I suppose I could have used 18 if you think drinking makes someone an adult!
No one here has made that claim. We state an age of accountability, which I average to be about 12-13 years old. The very same age as Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah. Just like Jesus. Interesting, heh? Biblical too!

I tend to lean towards us being born with a "sin nature"; the propensity to sin... and we all do sin, eventually. A just and loving God will and does make provisions for those who are too young to profess their faith, those who are either unable to be baptized, whether it be a physical handicap or they die after professing but before a baptism, etc.

Then... there's that pesky thief on the cross; what do we do about him? Jesus did not say, "Wait, you can't crucify him yet. I promised him he would be in paradise with me but he needs to be baptized first".

Again, we are not considering what a water baptism meant to a first century Jew as opposed to the type of baptism Jesus was to establish after the Cross. We have thrown away historical context for the sake of traditions of men. ... and even if we are to adhere to baptism being a regenerating force it should be repent first, baptize second.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back