Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Alistair Begg Right?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I attend Parkside church from time to time and have been under Pastor Beggs teaching.

This throws me off in many ways.

Attending a homosexual wedding in my mind would be sinful because this is not God's design. Nevertheless, it is the grandmothers grandson (from the brief video), who am I to say that the Lord would not use her in someone's life there to present the gospel. I just do not know.

I would have to listen to the full context of the message.

Who knows what was going through Alastair's mind when he made that comment.

I attend Parkside church from time to time and have been under Pastor Beggs teaching.

This throws me off in many ways.

Attending a homosexual wedding in my mind would be sinful because this is not God's design. Nevertheless, it is the grandmothers grandson (from the brief video), who am I to say that the Lord would not use her in someone's life there to present the gospel. I just do not know.

I would have to listen to the full context of the message.

Who knows what was going through Alastair's mind when he made that comment.
Yes, who knows? I didn't listen to his message so I don't know if he expanded on what he said or not. One of the things that adds complexity is that when a preacher like Alistair is delivering a message, either there is not opportunity or people are not comfortable asking for clarification for a statement that seems questionable.

Yes, who knows? I didn't listen to his message so I don't know if he expanded on what he said or not. One of the things that adds complexity is that when a preacher like Alistair is delivering a message, either there is not opportunity or people are not comfortable asking for clarification for a statement that seems questionable.
Agreed.

What happens when the person officiating the wedding says "Speak now or forever hold your peace?"

What should a Christian do?

Okay. Let's consider another scenario. Scripture speaks quite a bit about drunkenness, which is different that having a beer or drink once in a while. If a Christian enters a bar/tavern or attends a party at some friends house and there are some there that have over-indulged a bit. Is that endorsing their debauchery? In fact, at the wedding in Cana, (John 2) Jesus filled six waterpots with wine totaling 180 gallons. This was after the wedding guests had already had plenty for it says in verse 10, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!” (NKJV)

Or maybe consider an even lighter condition. It is a sin to violate the laws of the land for Scripture does say, "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." (Romans 13:1-2 NKJV) It cannot be denied that people do not follow traffic laws - exceeding the speed limits, tailgating, passing on the shoulder, running red lights, not stopping for stop signs, etc. Since we too drive our vehicles on those same roads right along side them and not reporting these violations, are we endorsing what they are doing?

Just so you know, I'm not trying to disagree with you. I'm trying to rightly divide the word of truth. In fact, if you go back and reread my first post, much of it supports your position just as well as not.

I don't think that the examples you give are valid. The issue here is about a born-again believer actually accepting an invitation to attend a homosexual or trans "wedding". This is so very wrong Biblically, and is an abomination before a Very Holy God, Who Created Man and Woman, and in His Plan, allows for only these two distinct sexes to marry each other. Romans chapter 1 goes into this in some detail.

By attending such a sinful event, and taking a gift, is totally WRONG, and can never be justified by the Teaching in the Holy Bible

So called "churches" like her in England, the CoE, not only allows these EVIL practices, but now have special "services" for these UNREPENTANT, PROUD, PRACTICING SINNERS!!!

As Paul says at the end of Romans chapter 1

"Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them"

Such is their blatant disregard of what God clearly says!

“What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Why is there such a hullabaloo over Begg’s advice to attend the sinner’s wedding and show love rather than judgement? I’ll tell you why. Because this is one of the fundamental errors of the modern church. We’ve become like the pharisees. We judge people in the world (unbelievers) in direct disobedience to Paul’s instruction here.

When the adulterous woman was brought to Jesus, and he said “let him who is without sin throw the first stone,” there was one person without sin present: Jesus himself. Why did he not stone her, as the law requires? Because he came to demonstrate that “mercy triumphs over judgment.” He didn’t condone the sin, but he also did not judge and condemn the sinner.

Yet that’s what most Christians seem to be doing here. We love to throw stones and point out sin, even when unbelievers are involved.

Mercy triumphs over judgement. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Shepherds Conference speaker, Alistair Begg, says Christians should attend ‘gay weddings’ to not be ‘judgmental, critical’

Begg is totally wrong on this, and should retract these unbiblical and unwise comments

I agree entirely with your position. Begg is profoundly in error in his recommendation.

Matthew 10:34-39
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36 And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Ephesians 5:3-13
3 But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.
4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
7 Therefore do not become partners with them;
8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light

9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true),
10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
12 For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret.
13 But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible,

2 Corinthians 6:14-18
14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?
16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,
18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”

When the adulterous woman was brought to Jesus, and he said “let him who is without sin throw the first stone,” there was one person without sin present: Jesus himself. Why did he not stone her, as the law requires? Because he came to demonstrate that “mercy triumphs over judgment.” He didn’t condone the sin, but he also did not judge and condemn the sinner.

John 8:10-11
10 Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?"
11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go.
From now on sin no more."

Jesus did not condemn the woman, consigning her irretrievably to wickedness and damnation. But he did judge her behavior, calling it sin and commanding her to stop.

“What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Why is there such a hullabaloo over Begg’s advice to attend the sinner’s wedding and show love rather than judgement? I’ll tell you why. Because this is one of the fundamental errors of the modern church. We’ve become like the pharisees. We judge people in the world (unbelievers) in direct disobedience to Paul’s instruction here.

Yet that’s what most Christians seem to be doing here. We love to throw stones and point out sin, even when unbelievers are involved.

Mercy triumphs over judgement. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
The issue is that of which Paul speaks in Rom 1:

Rom 1:32 Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. (ESV)

Going to a same-sex wedding is to give approval, whether real or perceived, of a union that God says is sinful. We don’t judge their same-sex preference or decision to marry, but we should not do anything that would be seen as supporting such decisions.

While it is easy to throw out the word “love,” and the world loves to do this in order to shame Christians, but true love of Christ is to not condone sinful behaviour; that is actually unloving, or, as some say, loving them all the way to hell.

Update

These are the same people that complain about cancel culture. But here they are cancelling one of their own because he dares to have an unorthodox opinion. You can't make this stuff up.

These are the same people that complain about cancel culture. But here they are cancelling one of their own because he dares to have an unorthodox opinion. You can't make this stuff up.

what are you on about? do you think that Begg is right?

You don't likely know that most liberal Christian don't just jump into it but gradually slide into it .

Even in Florida in my trump loving county we have gay pride events and a bar that has a weekly drag show . Churches that accept and push children as able to change gender .

Shepherds Conference speaker, Alistair Begg, says Christians should attend ‘gay weddings’ to not be ‘judgmental, critical’

Begg is totally wrong on this, and should retract these unbiblical and unwise comments

Should Christian attending these "gay weddings", also drink the toast to the "couple", eat the wedding cake, join in with the "celebrations"?

Will Begg say next that it is ok for a born-again, Evangelical pastor to marry theses "couples"?

I would be interested in your comments

What is the distinction between Begg's narrow advise to to a grandmother regarding her grandson, and those Christians who give approval, endorsement, and support to a serial adulterer, sexual predator, proven liar, etc., etc.? Begg has been a faithful teacher of the gospel for decades and has continually spoken against homosexuality and modern culture. Those who so quickly condemn him should consider what he actually said, and has said, for he did not give any such blanket endorsement. He did note a fine line... but it seems many of us consider particular sins much graver than others. We can certainly consider him wrong in his advise but there should be more consideration to our behavior and actions as to what it is to love, it is not always so black and white.

What is the distinction between Begg's narrow advise to to a grandmother regarding her grandson, and those Christians who give approval, endorsement, and support to a serial adulterer, sexual predator, proven liar, etc., etc.? Begg has been a faithful teacher of the gospel for decades and has continually spoken against homosexuality and modern culture. Those who so quickly condemn him should consider what he actually said, and has said, for he did not give any such blanket endorsement. He did note a fine line... but it seems many of us consider particular sins much graver than others. We can certainly consider him wrong in his advise but there should be more consideration to our behavior and actions as to what it is to love, it is not always so black and white.
All sin is sin.

I do not agree with Begg's advice, I do frequent his church and his preaching is very sound.

As for Christians who give approval for other sins, perhaps they are truly not saved.

63% of America claims to be Christians (quick internet search), I am willing to bet the reality of that is around 10% if we are going by Biblical standards.

I got off track, apologies.

Name one pastor, strike that, one person that has never sinned or made an error. We all make mistakes and while I may disagree or partially disagree with Alistair's comments, even though I do not know the context in which they were shared or had the opportunity to engage him to get more clarity or perhaps help him see the error and give him opportunity to repent, I still think he delivers a pretty good message. If I wrote off every pastor, church leader, or individual person based on what I believe is a single poorly stated or incorrect statement or error, I would never find a church, fellowship group, or friend in the world and I would become a very lonely individual and that would include leaving this site for good.

You don't likely know that most liberal Christian don't just jump into it but gradually slide into it .

Even in Florida in my trump loving county we have gay pride events and a bar that has a weekly drag show . Churches that accept and push children as able to change gender .

I think there's a difference between that and just attending a friend's gay wedding or something.

If a true Christian is attending a homosexual union, this is affirming others that Christians are fine with the sexual perversion.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back