Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Alistair Begg Right?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I think there's a difference between that and just attending a friend's gay wedding or something.
Support is implied .

I had this conversation with my pastor .

He mentioned a soup bowl he backed out of because of the prayer types from a liberal church that because of his presence implied a support .

If a true Christian is attending a homosexual union, this is affirming others that Christians are fine with the sexual perversion.
Possibly. Does the same hold true if a Christian attends a wedding and/or reception where alcohol is consumed and by some to excess?

Possibly. Does the same hold true if a Christian attends a wedding and/or reception where alcohol is consumed and by some to excess?
I would say no.

In a traditional marriage I am there for the marriage between man and woman not the alcohol.

A homosexual union is trying to be in place of a traditional wedding.

I am an Executive Chef and I am willing to lose my job if I ever had to do a banquet reception for a homosexual/transgender union. It is about morals for me. These morals have been formed by the written word of God.

I would say no.

In a traditional marriage I am there for the marriage between man and woman not the alcohol.

A homosexual union is trying to be in place of a traditional wedding.

I am an Executive Chef and I am willing to lose my job if I ever had to do a banquet reception for a homosexual/transgender union. It is about morals for me. These morals have been formed by the written word of God.
God's written word does have much to say about drunkenness, revelry, and the like just as He speaks about homosexual behavior.

If a true Christian is attending a homosexual union, this is affirming others that Christians are fine with the sexual perversion.
Is it then that voting for a political candidate that is a serial adulterer, a sexual predator, a liar, a proven fraud, etc., etc., also endorsing, supporting, and affirming such sinful perversion?

Last edited:
I think he's entitled to his opinion.

that is not the point, as he is a responsible minister of God first and foremost, so his loyalties should be with God first. What he said is certainly not what the Bible agrees with, nor the greater majority of Bible-believing Christians

Do you think that he is right?

Name one pastor, strike that, one person that has never sinned or made an error. We all make mistakes and while I may disagree or partially disagree with Alistair's comments, even though I do not know the context in which they were shared or had the opportunity to engage him to get more clarity or perhaps help him see the error and give him opportunity to repent, I still think he delivers a pretty good message. If I wrote off every pastor, church leader, or individual person based on what I believe is a single poorly stated or incorrect statement or error, I would never find a church, fellowship group, or friend in the world and I would become a very lonely individual and that would include leaving this site for good.

So you think that it is right for a pastor as well known as Begg, to give some very UNBIBLICAL and WRONG advice, and then when he is challenged on this, and asked to reconsider, and he basically says he does not intend to, that this is the Biblical way for a pastor to act?

It is NOT just some small matter, but HUGE, especially in this very wicked and sinful world that we live in, where Christians would rather COMPROMISE the TRUTH of the Bible, to "win" some over!

So you think that it is right for a pastor as well known as Begg, to give some very UNBIBLICAL and WRONG advice, and then when he is challenged on this, and asked to reconsider, and he basically says he does not intend to, that this is the Biblical way for a pastor to act?

It is NOT just some small matter, but HUGE, especially in this very wicked and sinful world that we live in, where Christians would rather COMPROMISE the TRUTH of the Bible, to "win" some over!
Was he challenged? By whom and where can that be seen?

Is it then that voting for a political candidate that is a serial adulterer, a sexual predator, a liar, a proven fraud, etc., etc., also endorsing, supporting, and affirming such sinful perversion?
Everyone sins.

As far as I can tell, you just described all those in politics according to all the news media outlets.

I am a Christian and do not get tangled up in political things.

But it is the Lord who puts those people in power.

Last edited:
Everyone sins.

As far as I can tell you just described all those in politics according to all the news media outlets.

I am a Christian and do not get tangled up in political things,

But it is the Lord who puts those people in power.
Yes, it is the Lord that puts them in power but it is also the Lord that puts us where we are, right? That said, those of us Christians in the US where we have a representative government and the right, and in my opinion an obligation to vote, we very much should be participating in the election process. It's bad enough when the title Christian is used in vain as it commonly is, but with the attitudes of uninvolvement it's no wonder our government fails to represent Christian values even though 63% of us claim the title.

These are the same people that complain about cancel culture. But here they are cancelling one of their own because he dares to have an unorthodox opinion. You can't make this stuff up.

Well, you see, it's not that he has an "unorthodox opinion," but that he is diverting from the plain declaration of God in His word. The issue isn't whether or not Begg conforms to our personal preferences but whether or not, as a teacher of God's truth, he is tightly conforming to that truth (which he isn't). This is no more "cancel culture" than criticizing the math teacher who says 2+2=17 is "canceling" the teacher. The math teacher should know better; he should be teaching the facts of math, one of which is that 2+2=4, not 17. Likewise, Begg, a Bible teacher, should be teaching the fact that the Bible condemns homosexuality explicitly and repeatedly and commands Christians to have no "fellowship with the unfruitful deeds of darkness." Begg isn't and so is worthy of censure by his fellow Bible-believing Christians.

Yes, it is the Lord that puts them in power but it is also the Lord that puts us where we are, right? That said, those of us Christians in the US where we have a representative government and the right, and in my opinion an obligation to vote, we very much should be participating in the election process. It's bad enough when the title Christian is used in vain as it commonly is, but with the attitudes of uninvolvement it's no wonder our government fails to represent Christian values even though 63% of us claim the title.
I believe everything is going according to Gods purpose and plan.

I believe everything is going according to Gods purpose and plan.
Are you saying that God put you here in the US for the purpose of not participating in the form of government that God put in place here? I suppose it's possible but I don't know what purpose that serves. Guess that is what is meant by looking through a glass dimly.:chin

Are you saying that God put you here in the US for the purpose of not participating in the form of government that God put in place here? I suppose it's possible but I don't know what purpose that serves. Guess that is what is meant by looking through a glass dimly.:chin
The Bible teaches to submit to the government, unless what they are telling me to do is sinful and against the Lord.

I do submit to the government but I am not involved with politics.

Is it Gods will that I get involved in the the government garbage? I will say no.

The bigger picture is obedience to the will of God. The objective in life for any Christian is to bring glory to God.

I should really make a thread on that .

Gotta focus my thoughts and experience as a military retiree and govt employees for twenty years and recall the way the state acts and citizens treat employees.

The Bible teaches to submit to the government, unless what they are telling me to do is sinful and against the Lord.

I do submit to the government but I am not involved with politics.

Is it Gods will that I get involved in the the government garbage? I will say no.

The bigger picture is obedience to the will of God. The objective in life for any Christian is to bring glory to God.
I could understand your point if it were that our government was a monarchy or dictatorship but it is not. If fact, we are the government here in the US. That's the difference. If everyone in the US stopped being involved in our government, our government would cease to exist and anarchy would follow.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back