Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it necessary to pray for forgiveness daily?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

jgredline

Hi Folks....
Here is a very simple question with some bub questions....

Is it necessary to pray for forgiveness of our sins daily?...
Do we need to go to a priest and confess our sins?

If so, why?

If not, why?

Your opinion will do, but scripture will add credibility.... :)

It's in our prayer that Christ taught...

"Forgive our treaspasses as we forgive those who treaspass against us"

Not only do we ask forgiveness but we are to do the same.

Confession to another such as a priest?

At church we have a fellowship where we confess and become accountable, not to a priest per se. Nobody asks "Hey, how you doing with that sin of yours". But you can confess then the discussion can ensue.
Do we HAVE to be accountable to someone else? We must be accountable to Christ for it's Him that sits at the judgment seat, not the Father. But, being accountable to another human being isn't a bad idea either.

jgredline said:
Hi Folks....
Here is a very simple question with some bub questions....

Is it necessary to pray for forgiveness of our sins daily?...
Do we need to go to a priest and confess our sins?

If so, why?

If not, why?

Your opinion will do, but scripture will add credibility.... :)

Great questions... I am in a hurry to go to work, but I could not pass answering this..

1 John 2:1-2: "My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. ANd if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."

Advocate is the Paracletos - one called alongside to help; intercessor.

We have an Advocate who sits on at the right hand of God! Sorry to be blunt, but who needs a person in robes if we have the Paracletos in Heaven!

Not only that, but the fact that we have access to Him as well!

Matthew 27:50-51 - And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. And behold the veil of the temple was town in two from top to bottom...."

The temple curtain (veil) that only the High Priest was allowed to enter into the Holy of Holies - the very dwelling place of God in the Temple - that veil which kept others out - was torn in two - providing access to anyone!

I believe that we should pray for forgiveness when we commit sin - either at the point that we knowingly commited, or when it is brought to our attention that our actions were sinful. Confession straight to God through our Advocate! Praise God!

It is important that we confess directly to God, and not through a 'middle man' that removes us from God. All too often, and this happens in counseling sessions - the act of confession becomes enabling. It is as if to say, "Hey, I told you about it, now it is your problem to deal with - you do something about it".

I believe we should confess our sins of the flesh every day in the name of Jesus. We can use 1 John 1:9 as scrptural referrence. And don't forget to see 1 John 2:1 because there is only one advocate with the Father. You see, because of the blood of Jesus is always there to make intercession for us. We all miss it from time to time. Jesus Christ has forgiven us by His blood offering. But we don't want to either condemn ourselves or have Satan condemn us. This is why we confess our sins, even when God already has forgiven us of all sin ( past, present, and future). If we condemn ourselves or Satan, we are no good for the Kingdom and will live in condemnation when the Bible says there is no condemnation in the Lord.

Also, I believe it's a good idea to discuss our problems with others that we trust in church fellowship. Are we not to help each other to further the message of the Gospel? I am not a Catholic and would never confess my sins to him because there is only one who can forgive and He is Our Lord Jesus Christ.

May God bless, Golfjack

jgredline said:
1. Is it necessary to pray for forgiveness of our sins daily?...
2. Do we need to go to a priest and confess our sins?
3. If not, why?
1. No

2. No

3. The saint already has forgiveness in Christ for past and futuree sins:
Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Why ask for something that is already been provided for?

Folks - the saint should acknowledge or confess daily for cleansing of their conscience but not to get forgiveness - he already has this.

Scenario:
Saint: "Lord, pleae forvie me for that unkind word."
Lord: "I took care of that at Calvary. Are you saying my death was not sufficent?"

BTW - What happens if you forget or neglect to ask? :o

God bless

AVBunyan said:
Scenario:
Saint: "Lord, pleae forvie me for that unkind word."
Lord: "I took care of that at Calvary. Are you saying my death was not sufficent?"

Oh boy, what a major twisting of the Good News...

Apparently, everyone ever born is going to or is in heaven, because otherwise, you are saying that Jesus sacrifice was insufficient...

Thus, Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Hitler, and other mass murders are in heaven, since Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient for ALL men...

Yea, that is the depths of illogical thought that your scenario presents.

John tells us specifically that we are to ask for forgiveness from the Advocate. CHRISTIANS!!!

And what on earth was Jesus thinking when He breathed on the Apostles AFTER AFTER AFTER the Resurrection? WHY? Didn't He think His sacrifice was enough that He had to give someone the power to forgive sins???

Again, your logic doesn't take into account the entire Sacred Scriptures.

By the way, people don't "forget" major sins... They ignore them or do not even consider them as sins.

Regards

francisdesales said:
Apparently, everyone ever born is going to or is in heaven, because otherwise, you are saying that Jesus sacrifice was insufficient...
:o :o :o

The saints' sins are already forgiven - The scenario says:
Saint: "Lord, pleae forvie me for that unkind word."...
the sins of the lost are not forgiven.

PotLuck said:
It's in our prayer that Christ taught...

"Forgive our treaspasses as we forgive those who treaspass against us"

Not only do we ask forgiveness but we are to do the same.
Hiow can this doctrinally to the saint today? At that time Christ had not even died yet for sins? :o

You might make application from this though but a doctrine for if you do then it contradicts Eph. 1:7 and COl. 1:14 - because Paul says one is forgiven and asking for forgiveness is not found in Paul.

BTW - what is the saint's standing then if they miss a sin or two or miss confessing or asking forgivness? Does that mean the saint is unforgiven again?

OK - let's go with this - If a saint doesn't ask forgiven can he enter in in an unforgiven state - not forgiven? :o

I'm still going to ask for forgiveness every day. It's good for me, even if I'm already forgiven. And if it's wrong to ask for forgiveness every day, well, I'm already forgiven right!? :wink:

Veritas said:
I'm still going to ask for forgiveness every day. It's good for me, even if I'm already forgiven. And if it's wrong to ask for forgiveness every day, well, I'm already forgiven right!? :wink:
Then acknowledge and confess to clear the conscience..but...don't ask for something God has already done. :wink:

God bless

1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Jam 5:16 Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins,

AVBunyan said:
:o :o :o

The saints' sins are already forgiven - The scenario says:
Saint: "Lord, pleae forvie me for that unkind word."...
the sins of the lost are not forgiven.

You missed the point...

IF Jesus Christ's sacrifice was sufficient for ALL men, for the entire world, then the entire world would be saved.

Apparently, there is another factor in salvation. Because we both agree that Jesus Christ's sacrifice WAS sufficient for ALL men. No one was left out by Christ. He didn't die only for a few. He died for the world.

Thus, your theology falls short.

The other factor, of course, is faith, repentance, and conversion of the sinner...

Regards

AVBunyan said:
OK - let's go with this - If a saint doesn't ask forgiven can he enter in in an unforgiven state - not forgiven? :o

Don't fret. There's purgatory for such things. God's mercy will take care of you there.

Regards

francisdesales said:
You missed the point...IF Jesus Christ's sacrifice was sufficient for ALL men, for the entire world, then the entire world would be saved. He died for the world.Thus, your theology falls short. Regards
You misunderstand the doctrine of election - He died for the elect only - his people - the elect. He did not die for every man for that would be universalism.

His sacrifice was sufficient for those whom he died for.

God bless

AVBunyan said:
You misunderstand the doctrine of election - He died for the elect only - his people - the elect. He did not die for every man for that would be universalism.

Sorry, the Bible disagrees with you quite a few times...

I had a discussion with a Calvinist on this subject, so I repost this for you...

1. Implicitly revealed in the Old Testament in various places, such as:

“And I will bless those that bless thee and curse those that curse thee, and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed’ (Gen 12:3).

Paul cites this verse in Galatians 3:8, saying “...and the Scriptures, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the Gospel beforehand to Abraham…†Therefore, the call of all nations to salvation would be announced to all nations

“I the LORD have called thee in righteousness and will hold thee by thine hand; I will keep thee and place thee as [my] covenant unto the people as light unto [the] Gentiles.†Is 42:6

The mercy of God was even offered to wicked nations:

“Leave thy fatherless children (Edom); I will raise them; and thy widows shall trust in me.†Jer 49:11

Be converted to me, and you shall be saved, all ye ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is no other. Is 45:22

“the LORD said, Thou hast had pity on the gourd for which thou hast not laboured, neither didst [thou] make it grow; which came up in a night and perished in a night: And shall I not spare Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred twenty thousand persons, that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand, and many animals?†Jon 4:10-11

“Say unto them, [As] I live, said the Lord GOD, I do not desire the death of the wicked but that the wicked turn from his way and that he live; turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?†Ez 33:11

“But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he has committed and keep all my statutes and live according to judgment and righteousness, he shall surely live, he shall not die. All his rebellions that he has committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him; by his righteousness that he has done he shall live. Do I desire perchance the death of the wicked? said the Lord GOD, Shall he not live if he should leave his ways?†Ez 18:21-23

2.Explicitly revealed in the New Testament:

“No temptation has taken you but such as is common to man, but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above what ye are able but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it]â€Â. (1 Cor 10:13).

Paul realized that God had made a covenant with man. In the New Covenant, Paul certainly knew that God had made an infinite Covenant. God, out of fidelity, will give help to ANY man who desires to overcome temptations.

“The Lord is not late concerning his promise, as some count lateness, but is patient with us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance†2 Peter 3:9

And of course, 1 Tim 2:3-6: “For this [is] good and pleasing in the sight of God our Saviour, who desires that all men be saved and come unto the knowledge of the truth for [there is only] one God and likewise [only] one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself in ransom for allâ€Â

And the angel said to them: Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, that shall be to all the people: For, this day, is born to you a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord, in the city of David.†Luke 2:10-11

“For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost†Luke 19:10.

Are not all men lost without Christ?

“And they said to the woman: We now believe, not for thy saying: for we ourselves have heard him, and know that this is indeed the Saviour of the world.†John 4:42

“I am not come to call the just, but sinners.†Mat 9:12.

All men have sinned, no?

“I am the door. By me, if anyman enter in, he shall be saved: and he shall go in, and go out, and shall find pastures.†John 10:9

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all things to myself. John 12:32

And if any man hear my words, and keep them not, I do not judge him: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the worldâ€Â. John 12:47

“As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he may give eternal life to all whom thou hast given him.†John 17:2.

Christ’s power is superabundant for ALL flesh…

“Because in him, it hath well pleased the Father, that all fullness should dwell; And through him to reconcile all things unto himself, making peace through the blood of his cross, both as to the things that are on earth, and the things that are in heaven. Col 1:19-20

“For God hath concluded all in unbelief, that he may have mercy on all.†Romans 11:32

3. The Church Fathers

According to my source, there are over 200 citations by the Church Fathers that talk about the Universal Salvific Will of God, both East and Western Fathers. For example...

St. Gregory of Nyssa: “’The Father raises the dead and gives them life, and the Son gives life to whom He will’ – we do not conclude from this that some are cast out from the lifegiving will…If then, the Father’s will (attitude) is in the Son, and the Father, as the Apostle says ‘wills all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth’ it is plain that He who has everything that is the Father’s and has the whole Father in Him, along with other good things of the Father has fully also the Salvific will…For not because of the Lord’s will are some saved, but others are lost: for then the cause of their ruin would come from that will. But by the choice of those who receive the word, it happens that some are saved or lost†Adv. Apollinarium 29. PG 45.1187

The evidence is OVERWHELMING.

Yea, I know what you'll say...

All doesn't mean all. :tongue

Good for you. Believe what you want. Limit Christ's sacrifice on the cross, because that is exactly what you are doing. Throughout the Scriptures, we see God reaching out to all men who legitimately seek Him. Yours is far away from Christian thought on the subject... It is a late invention of such heretics as Jean Calvin.

Don't limit Christ's sacrifice by your limited understanding. God died for ALL men. Unfortunately, all men do not take advantage of this gift.

Regards

Do we pray the Lord's prayer once and only once? Before salvation? No, we pray the Lord's prayer many times during our walk with Christ. And we ask Him for forgiveness every time time we do so.

"And forgive us our sins"
"And forgive us our debts"

Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Matthew 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Matthew 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Matthew 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Matthew 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Luke 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
Luke 11:3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

If we are not to ask forgiveness even after the fact of salvation then why did Christ include it as He taught us to pray?
Yes, I understand what you're saying AV and for the most part I agree with you. But there must be a reason Christ taught the prayer as He did. One may say He hadn't yet been glorified therefore that part of the prayer was for those during the time before the crucifixion. But that would raise more questions than it answers and inject an element of a pick and choose approach to scripture.
I don't have the answer as to the "Christ died for our sins" and His teaching to ask for forgiveness even though He had already paid the price and forgave all our sins from the past, to the present and into the future. But regardless of the stance one cares to take scripture does indeed tell us to pray for forgiveness. When we pray the Lord's prayer we do just that. There's just no getting around it. Especially since it's included in the Lord's prayer... as Christ Himself taught us.

francisdesales said:
God died for ALL men. Unfortunately, all men do not take advantage of this gift.

Basically you're saying the same thing as AV since the results are both identical. Yes, the gift is offered to all but not all will accept it. Therein lies the elect, referencing scripture.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

AVBunyan,

3. The saint already has forgiveness in Christ for past and futuree sins:
Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Why ask for something that is already been provided for?

The text is referencing the fact that all of mankind has been reconciled to God. That Christ redeemed mankind and atoned for the sins of the world.
But there is not one word about forgiveness in that text. Christ forgave not a single sin on the Cross. We have forgiveness because our sins have been propitiated. But not a single sin has been placed or given to Him until you seek forgiveness. Sin will separate man from God, it matters not that you are a believer or an unbeliever. All sins not repented of, or confessed are accounted to you.
You will find not a single text that says that anywhere in the Bible. OT and NT that will say that Christ forgave all sins on the Cross. If this were also true, then we have a concrete form of Universalism.

Folks - the saint should acknowledge or confess daily for cleansing of their conscience but not to get forgiveness - he already has this.
I would say that statement is hyper-contradiction. Pray tell, what is the difference in your meaning. Do you actually know what cleansing of conscience might be? Just through what mechanism do you think the Holy Spirit works in us? Have you ever read Rom 2. The whole chapter might do you some good.

BTW - What happens if you forget or neglect to ask?
they mount up and you become callous to sin. You won't even recognize it any longer.

But, obviously, we are saved anyway, no matter how much sin we do, or even how grevious that sin might be.

Sin and God do not mix. Paul constantly chides believers to make sure that they remain reconciled to God. If we sin, confess our sins for He is just and able to forgive our sins. No sin is remitted without confession. Have you prayed the Lords prayer lately? It says quite clearly that unless we forgive those that trespass against us, our Heavenly Father will also not forgive our sins. We must forgive them, even though they may not ever fogive us. Even up to seventy times seven. And you really think that He just magnanimously already forgave all of your sins?

OK - let's go with this - If a saint doesn't ask forgiven can he enter in in an unforgiven state - not forgiven?
yes, it is called hell. Have you read the parable of the Unfaithful servant? Where do you think he ended up?

Do you actually know what Universalism means as well? It is your view that supports Universalism. All those who Christ died for (redeemed, reconciled, justified, made right with God) are also saved. That is the classic definition of Universalism.

Besides the great citation that francisdesales posted there is a host of additional scripture that refutes your understanding. Actually, the entire Bible does.

Hebrew 9:22-26

"And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness" (Hebrews 9:22)

..."He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgement, so Christ also , having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him." (Hebrews 9:26-28)

Back