Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

offering time? blessing....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

I'm really puzzled here..dunno where to begin.

Firstly, I hate the idea of some churches using transparent containers for offering. Everybody sees what you give. (There is one that announces what members offer:shocked)

Secondly, why the series of offerings on a single church fellowship?

Example:

1 Normal church offering

2 If you want the Lord to meet you at the point of that need...come up to this stage and offer unto Him a fat offering.

3 If you love the Lord with all your heart, and wish to prove it to Him, go over to the stage and give an offering of $$$$ unto Him

4 Second church offering

5 God is raising a trillionaire from among us today. He says you should come and claim it by faith. (Not just one person, majority will flood the stage...seeking miracle). Remember it was just one trillionaire!!!!

I already made up my mind a million years ago that I will only give when God moves me to give...

Pastors and churches of these days....

I used to feel guilty when I couldn't give or when maybe I don't have. But today we have realised that people are being used

One should give as their heart directs. If one is giving to receive or because they feel they have too, chances are, that gift will profit little to nothing.

2 Corinthians 9
7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

The Lord knows your motives for giving.

A local Christian TV station tries to use guilt to get people to support it. The guy in charge comes on regularly and tells everybody that it's the responsibility of every Christian to support the station. And he makes it clear that it's "your" fault that the station is in financial trouble (which it is most of the time), because "you" didn't give enough. And this same guy preaches that if you give money to God's Kingdom, you will receive it back seven-fold. What I can't figure out is why he doesn't just have the TV station give to a Christian charity and have God give them that back seven-fold. All their financial problems would be solved.

The TOG​

A local Christian TV station tries to use guilt to get people to support it. The guy in charge comes on regularly and tells everybody that it's the responsibility of every Christian to support the station. And he makes it clear that it's "your" fault that the station is in financial trouble (which it is most of the time), because "you" didn't give enough. And this same guy preaches that if you give money to God's Kingdom, you will receive it back seven-fold. What I can't figure out is why he doesn't just have the TV station give to a Christian charity and have God give them that back seven-fold. All their financial problems would be solved.

The TOG​
I used to also suffer guilt when I couldn't give or didn't have what to give at that instant. Today everything is different. I give willingly - God prompting me to give

The TOG​

Oh TOG, you made me laugh big time. :hysterical Logic is not a part of their theology.

My church only takes one offering per service and they don't guilt you into it. They had a sermon on tithing once, about it in the Bible and what it all goes to, the ministries the church supports, but that's it.

Last edited:
My church only takes one offering per service and they don't guilt you into it. They had a sermon on tithing once, about it in the Bible and what it all goes to, but that's it.

I'm liking the sound of your new church more and more. It appears to me that you have chosen wisely.
Blessings to you.

Firstly, I hate the idea of some churches using transparent containers for offering. Everybody sees what you give. (There is one that announces what members offer:shocked)

Example:

1 Normal church offering

2 If you want the Lord to meet you at the point of that need...come up to this stage and offer unto Him a fat offering.

3 If you love the Lord with all your heart, and wish to prove it to Him, go over to the stage and give an offering of $$$$ unto Him

4 Second church offering

5 God is raising a trillionaire from among us today. He says you should come and claim it by faith. (Not just one person, majority will flood the stage...seeking miracle). Remember it was just one trillionaire!!!!

I already made up my mind a million years ago that I will only give when God moves me to give...

And this is one reason non believers are skeptical about Christianity.

It's really simple, the Bible gives clear precedence for ministers to live off of a portion of what's donated: 1 Cor. 9:7-14.

However, if you don't believe that the church is fulfilling it's mission as outlined in the Bible, don't give. Even better, don't attend it either.

Find a church that you believe in. You must be able to buy-in to what they're all about and what they're doing. Then give in faith.

Never give out of guilt: God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7).

Stretch yourself to avoid a poverty mentality which has a mindset of limited resources. An abundance mindset says to give in faith because our God "owns a cattle on a thousands hills." (Ps. 50:10). FYI I'm not a prosperity preacher, I'm a Bible preacher. Don't give what you don't have. Don't give from a credit card. Get out of bad debt ASAP so you can be free to obey God when He leads you to supply someone's need.

Here's one of the best testimonies I've heard about giving. I know you might feel differently about the "tithe" interpretation, but even putting that aside its a powerful testimony from Pastor Glen Cole. He's gone on to be with the Lord now, but he is a legend in the Sacramento area:

Oh TOG, you made me laugh big time. :hysterical Logic is not a part of their theology.

No, it sure doesn't seem to be. There's a lot of weird stuff about their theology. I once heard a guy on that station say "It's natural for a woman to sit in the passenger seat of a car." I think they take the whole submission thing a bit too far.

The TOG​

No, it sure doesn't seem to be. There's a lot of weird stuff about their theology. I once heard a guy on that station say "It's natural for a woman to sit in the passenger seat of a car." I think they take the whole submission thing a bit too far.

The TOG​

The driver is sitting in the passenger seat over there. :biggrin

Example:

1 Normal church offering

4 Second church offering

I sure hope that's not the church you attend!!! Have you actually been to a local church that does all these things? I've never in my life been to a church that does even ONE of them other than a normal church "offering". This sounds more like the fake TV preachers that are into putting on a big show for profit.

My church only takes one offering per service and they don't guilt you into it. They had a sermon on tithing once, about it in the Bible and what it all goes to, the ministries the church supports, but that's it.
That's about the way it's been done at almost every church I've been in. The one I'm at now I think I've heard two sermons on giving in the last 5 years and they were similar to what you describe. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

The driver is sitting in the passenger seat over there. :biggrin

Actually, I was paraphrasing. What he really said was "It's natural for a woman to sit on the right side of the car". The first thing that came to my mind was "What about women in England? Are they supposed to sit on the right as well?"

The TOG​

Why does God want material money for?. Sharing the good news is worth more than donating coin into someones pocket for there own personal use. People give in good faith. Too many wolves.

1 Timothy 6:10

What is worth more in the eyes of the Lord?. Donating 10% of material income, or sharing the word of Christ?
You're right that God doesn't need our money, He wants us to share the gospel. But much of that sharing of the gospel costs money and it's those who are sharing and ministering that need money to pay for the tools of doing that. That's the way modern western society works and there's nothing in scripture saying there's anything wrong with that. 1 Tim 6:10 does not apply to this. 1 Tim 6:10 applies to idolizing money and greed, not to collecting money to pay for the tools of ministry.

It was not the tithing that used to concern me.It was the asking of money every time I went to Church for this and for that.It was never ending.I did not have that kind of money.I barely had money for the tithing.And they seemed upset that everyone was not giving all the time.

I acturaly was thinking that as well Obadiah and agree with you there. There are some genuine out there who use the money wisely but still, there are many wolves. They give it away with there lifestyle on top of false teachings. Suppose thats where 'test the spirits' can come into play.

Its like when i see a pastor who is personaly worth so many millions, not the church, but them. That money does not come out of thin air when they have only ever been a pastor, started off in rags and as there church grows a new extension is put on there house. lol. Instead of a 2 bedroom house its now 10 years later a 5 story mansion. From rags to riches.
Yep, exactly.

You're right that God doesn't need our money, He wants us to share the gospel. But much of that sharing of the gospel costs money and it's those who are sharing and ministering that need money to pay for the tools of doing that. That's the way modern western society works and there's nothing in scripture saying there's anything wrong with that. 1 Tim 6:10 does not apply to this. 1 Tim 6:10 applies to idolizing money and greed, not to collecting money to pay for the tools of ministry.

I agree so long as the tool money isn't used for the personal luxury of the Minister eg. private jets, multi-million dollar mansions, luxury Hotel stays, luxury cars, Armani suits etc.

I agree so long as the tool money isn't used for the personal luxury of the Minister eg. private jets, multi-million dollar mansions, luxury Hotel stays, luxury cars, Armani suits etc.
Couldn't agree more. It's hard for me to imagine how any of the things you mentioned are necessary tools for ministry or even for the "sharing of all good things with he who teaches" unless "he who teaches" is living in a very rich community and these things are being "shared" by those of that rich community who can afford it. It's hard to imagine any community within North America where this would be realistic.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back