Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Science __ ] Saving the planet with electric cars

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yup, an electric train powered by a diesel generator. Same concept the Volt uses.

You can't beat the instant torque on electric engines. I think an electric motorcycle has the record in the quarter mile!
The speed record of an electric car waa set in the mid 1920s.it's race was in my town.105mph.

meh,electric weed eater,chain saw versus gas ,gas wins.

The speed record of an electric car waa set in the mid 1920s.it's race was in my town.105mph.

That is a speed record from the '20s. Technology has rather changed significantly since then.

That is a speed record from the '20s. Technology has rather changed significantly since then.

I know that but when they can build a battery that lasts in my state .let alone without drawing 13 hours worth my time to charge,or use gas,and also not draw commercial grade power then I'm impreessed.

My state has sun year round.winter? It's already where I must run the ac abd yet my customers aren't always saving money with net meters,40 grand fir a unit,that's roof installed.how much power does one use?

That's 20 years of power for me.

The cheapest kwh is louisana,then Washington, neither of which rely on solar for much. Louisana uses oil,cng,wa uses hydro,with some wind.

My.point was that even in the 20s,people tried this.we act like it's new,it's not.I don't see how well lithium ion batteries like complete charges then fast charges,they don't. Thus that impractical wait.

Road trip,sorry add a few more days.I prefer to see the parts where I drive.often my photography is inspired when I do.

Oddly in my towns history we had less population and more gas stations and motels along the primary route of travel in the past.

My brother destroyed a 2 year old chain saw by using it for commercial work.simple pepper tree did that in.the motor burned up ,with the clutch .a gas one that is decent won't do that.

I've used an electric chain saw, and they have their place. It's not in my wood pile, but it does have it's place!
I threw my gas powered weed eater away years ago. Home Depot had a great deal on a battery powered Ryobi and I love it! I'll never go back to a gas powered weed whacker.

My brother destroyed a 2 year old chain saw by using it for commercial work.simple pepper tree did that in.the motor burned up ,with the clutch .a gas one that is decent won't do that.
Should have bought a Stihl! I've had mine for almost 20 years!

I've used an electric chain saw, and they have their place. It's not in my wood pile, but it does have it's place!
I threw my gas powered weed eater away years ago. Home Depot had a great deal on a battery powered Ryobi and I love it! I'll never go back to a gas powered weed whacker.
Your making my point,try cutting a telephone pole with that .I burned up a chain doing that aND also yes non commercial those work but heavy duty use,my brother cut down a pepper tree that was 30 ft in diameter. My tool could do that if he had the blades

Yeah, renewables are not for everyone nor are they for every situation.
My point is simply this. As technology advances, renewables will play a larger role within our economy.

This won't be a popular stance here, but we have long known pollution is bad. We should reduce it.

An ideal solution is to power our baseline grid at 70% from nuclear power that burns spent fuel rods and cannot melt down catastrophically. We have enough fuel to last for 500 years. The biggest problem with that much nuclear power is you need to keep a steady demand on it, which is difficult to achieve overnight. Recharging electric cars is a good application for that, even if only used by normal commuters.

Yes that means we'd need to redo our power grid; we need to do that anyway.

The other 30% of our grid can be powered by wind and solar.

None of this is around the corner. Batteries need some serious advances, and our populace needs to become educated on the newer generations of nuclear power.

In the meantime natural gas co-generators are highly efficient with existing technology; widespread use of those equates to both energy independence and greatly reduced pollution.
We can also reduce our National carbon footprint by half by using them and implementing common sense measures like turning off lights that aren't in use.

This won't be a popular stance here, but we have long known pollution is bad. We should reduce it.

An ideal solution is to power our baseline grid at 70% from nuclear power that burns spent fuel rods and cannot melt down catastrophically. We have enough fuel to last for 500 years. The biggest problem with that much nuclear power is you need to keep a steady demand on it, which is difficult to achieve overnight. Recharging electric cars is a good application for that, even if only used by normal commuters.

Yes that means we'd need to redo our power grid; we need to do that anyway.

The other 30% of our grid can be powered by wind and solar.

None of this is around the corner. Batteries need some serious advances, and our populace needs to become educated on the newer generations of nuclear power.

In the meantime natural gas co-generators are highly efficient with existing technology; widespread use of those equates to both energy independence and greatly reduced pollution.
We can also reduce our National carbon footprint by half by using them and implementing common sense measures like turning off lights that aren't in use.
Solar and wind can't be used as emergency back up ,why? If they are at capacity they can't be tasked more .a cng turbine ,coal plant can be .solar and wind must be the back up to the larger power plants.in my state all power plants are back ups for st lucie one and two .in 1983 a 1920s era plant saved my state from.a black out.

Solar and wind can't be used as emergency back up ,why? If they are at capacity they can't be tasked more .a cng turbine ,coal plant can be .solar and wind must be the back up to the larger power plants.in my state all power plants are back ups for st lucie one and two .in 1983 a 1920s era plant saved my state from.a black out.

Right, solar and wind can just be added to the grid, not relied on as backup. Is St Lucie nuclear?

Solar in a hurricane maybe doesn't produce so much? Lol. Have the current generation of windmills been through a hurricane? I can't imagine that would be good for them?:confused

Solar in a hurricane maybe doesn't produce so much? Lol. Have the current generation of windmills been through a hurricane? I can't imagine that would be good for them?:confused
Lol,try them being ripped apart whereas st .lucie one aND two merely cab restart .those Colling towers are solid and cab taje a 747 hotting them.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 10.45.14 PM.png
Bert Munro on his 1920 55cu Indian Scout in which he set a land speed record of 184.087 mph in 1967 at Bonneville. It has not been broken yet. Love that gasoline!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back