Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Testimonies from Ex-Roman Catholic Priests and Others

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Free Indeed
Former Priest Alexander (Sandy) Carson

From childhood to age forty-four, then in my seventeen years as a Roman priest (1955-1972), the Roman Catholic Church had been the pillar of truth to me and my infallible guide to God. This "pillar of truth," the Roman Church, was not constructed solely of the infallible Scriptures, but also constructed of man's "traditions" apart from Scripture, which were held to be revelations from God, but which in fact contradicted and were in opposition to the plain teachings of Scripture.

During the first century days of the Apostles, truth was being preached in the streets and Temple areas of Jerusalem. That would eventually make up the content of the New Testament. The book of Acts, chapter 6 verse 7, bears testimony to that preaching: "And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith." At great personal cost, those Jewish Old Testament priests left all to follow Jesus. When their hearts were pierced by the truth, that "two edged sword" the Word of God (Hebrews 4:12), they left all to follow Jesus. All former Catholic priests who have become "obedient to the faith†can certainly relate to this passage (Acts 6:7), from Wycliffe, Huss, and Luther down to the present day. At different times and in various ways God has used His written Word to set men, even Catholic priests, free! "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:31-32). In 1972, while I was pastor of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Rayville, Louisiana, USA, the Lord’s truth and grace became clear as day to me. Here is my full story.

Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation
In 1928 I was baptized into the Roman Catholic Church as an infant. When I was just over a year old my family moved from New York State to New Milford, Connecticut, where I was raised in the Catholic faith. I thoroughly believed in all Catholic practises and beliefs, and I took my relationship to the Church, and therefore to God, very seriously. My first communion and confirmation were important events to me. After high school, I went to Tufts College in Boston to study pre-med, hoping one day to become a medical doctor like my revered uncle. However, at the end of two years of study, I really desired to become a priest. I felt it was more important to help people spiritually than to aid them medically.

The Seminary
In September of 1948, I began studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary, Brighton, and Massachusetts. How I loved the seminary! Everything was so "holy" there. Nevertheless, at the end of my first year in the seminary, I withdrew. I felt I could never measure up to being a priest, being convinced at the time that it was the highest possible call on a young man's life. I attended Boston College (Jesuit) and served Mass almost every morning at a local Catholic monastery. At this time, during the Fall of 1949, God saved me by His grace (the only way!) even though I did not know a lot about the Bible. Jesus saves the believing repentant even though they walk in a measure of confusion and darkness. I had come to a place where I was uncertain about my relationship with God, and I wanted to be sure about that above everything else.

A Confession Absolutely Different
One night I knelt in a confessional booth and confessed every sin of my life that I could bring to mind. At confession I always really confessed my sins to God first, though it was in the presence of the priest who would give "absolution." "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness..." (I John 1:9). After I expressed my repentance and while the priest was giving the ritual "absolution," I cried out to God with my heart, saying, "God, if you'll forgive all my sins, I take you as Lord of my heart and I'll serve you the rest of my life!" "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans 10:13). Leaving that confessional box and walking across the transept of the church, I felt a great peace and "Abba, Father!" rang in my heart. I knew that I had a relationship with God! This did not happen because of the presence of a priest and liturgical absolution. It happened because of the presence of Jesus Christ, our great High Priest Who made intercession for me and Who made me the object of His grace, mercy, and compassion. "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 1:7, 2:8-9).

The next year I re-entered the seminary to complete studies for the priesthood, the best way I knew to serve God at the time. I was ordained by Bishop Lawrence Shehan of Bridgeport, Connecticut on February 2, 1955, and began ministry as a Diocesan, or secular, priest in the Diocese of Alexandria, Louisiana. The great excitement and joy I felt about my unique position of service began to wane after a few years, and try as I might to do everything right; it became empty, meaningless ritual.

The Bible -- A New Standard
In 1971, after several years of crying out to God for something more meaningful, my great hunger was abated. Jesus and the Word of God (Scriptures) became very real to me. Because "...the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts..." (Romans 5:5), the Holy Spirit led me to judge Roman Catholic theology by the standard of the Bible. Before, I had always judged the Bible by Catholic doctrine and theology. It was a reversal of authority in my life.

On a Sunday night in July 1972, I began to read the Book of Hebrews in the New Testament. This letter exalts Jesus, His priesthood, and His sacrifice over all the Old Covenant or Testament. This is some of what I read: "Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself..." (Hebrews 7:27). This startled me, and I began to feel very uneasy. I understood for the first time that Jesus' sacrifice was a one-time sacrificial offering at Calvary, in itself effectual to reconcile me to God and believing repentants of all ages. I aw at this time that the "Holy Sacrifice of the Mass" offered by me and thousands of other Catholic priests daily throughout the world was a fallacy and completely irrelevant. If the "sacrifice" I daily offered as a priest was meaningless, then my "Priesthood" which existed for the purpose of offering that "sacrifice" was likewise without meaning. These realizations were soon clearly confirmed as I continued to read in Hebrews Chapter 10: "But this man, (Jesus) after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified" (v. 12-14). "Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin" (v. 18).

Saved by God's Grace Alone
That night the Roman Catholic Church lost credibility for me, as it had taught as truth what was clearly contrary to the Scriptures. I then chose the Scriptures as my standard of truth, no longer accepting the magisterium, or teaching authority of the Catholic Church as my standard. In my letter of resignation from the Catholic Church and ministry, I stated to the bishop that I was leaving the priesthood because I could no longer offer the Mass, as it was contrary to the Word of God and to my conscience. This was in 1972. It was not long before I was baptized by immersion, began Biblical studies and was ordained to the Gospel ministry. For over twenty years I have walked in the freedom of which Jesus spoke, saying, "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:31-32), and "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed" (John 8:36).

Alexander (Sandy) Carson
Through 1994 his ministry was mostly in seminary, evangelism and preaching in Florida, U.S.A. Then in 1995 he did extensive preaching across parts of Eastern Europe. In March 1996 he went on a 6-week ministry in Siberia. From a radio interview with Bob Bush, a Russian believer in California contacted him. As a result, he has returned to Russia and Eastern Europe to proclaim the Gospel.

Retrieved from http://www.bereanbeacon.org/sandy_carson.pdf

The guy left the Church because he agreed with the Catholic Church?

he should have talked with someone else before leaving, because clearly he left for something we agree with.

Why do testimonies have to lie over and over to attack Catholicism? Why can't they just honestly attack what they believe instead of strawmen?

A Priest, but a Stranger To God
Joseph Tremblay

God is able to save anyone, anytime, anywhere. Wherever the person in question be found, whatever the profession in which he be engaged, whatever his race, God is still able in our day to save whosoever will repent of his sins and trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. My own experience is an example of this.

It all began in 1964, in Chile, while I was a missionary in the Congregation of the Oblate Fathers of Mary Immaculate and ended in Canada in 1966. What happened between these two dates? The salvation of my soul. I had wanted to give myself to Him. I had really thought to have already done so by the fact of my membership in the religion into which I was born. But one day God opened my eyes, giving me to understand my sin and His way of salvation. Here is how it happened.

I was born in Quebec, Canada, in 1924. From childhood my parents inculcated in me a great respect for God. I desired intensely to serve Him to the best of my ability and to consecrate myself totally to Him in order to please Him, according to the words of the Apostle Paul: “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.†(Romans 12:1) It was this desire to please Him that motivated my decision to take the Holy Orders of the Roman Catholic Church.

A Missionary to Bolivia
After several years of study I was ordained a priest in Rome, Italy. One year later I was sent as a missionary to Bolivia and Chile, where I served for more than 13 years. I liked the life very much and tried to discharge my responsibilities as best I could. I enjoyed the friendship of all of my co-workers, and even if they looked with a certain irony upon my pronounced taste for the study of the Bible, their invitations to share with them the results of my studies evidenced their approval. When they called me “Joe the Bible,†I knew that in spite of the sarcasm expression, they envied me. My parishioners also appreciated the ministry of the Word of God, so much so that they organized a club for home Bible studies. I was compelled to give myself to earnest study of the Bible, as much to prepare myself for the improvised home meetings as to prepare my Sunday sermons.

Serious Bible Study
The study of the Bible, which, until that time, had been just a hobby, quickly became a professional obligation. I became aware of the clarity with which certain truths were taught, and, on the other hand, I discovered that nothing at all was written about many dogmas that I had studied. My Bible study revealed that I did not know the Bible. I suggested to my superiors that I might like to go for further studies in the Bible when my turn for vacation arrived. In the meantime, the Jesuits at Antofagasta invited me to teach the Bible at the Normal School of the University which they directed. I don't know how they learned of my interest in the Bible. Not withstanding my lack of preparation, I accepted the invitation, knowing that this new responsibility would necessitate even more serious study of the Word of God.

The Gospel Via Radio
How many hours, days, and nights were consecrated to the preparation of my classes, my meetings, and my sermons. To maintain a good morale during my readings and studies, I had the habit of listening to music. I had been given a little transistor radio on which I could listen to beautiful background music without the bother of changing records. It was thus that one day I became aware that it was religious songs and hymns that were coming through to me on the little radio. I heard the word “Jesus†from time to time while I was reading the Bible or commentaries. The atmosphere was very propitious. But the hymns didn't last long. They were followed by a short Bible reading. The last verse that was read caught my attention: “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him†(II Corinthians 5:21). It was on this verse that the sermon which followed was based. At first I was tempted to change the station, because it was too distracting to listen to someone speaking while trying to study. In change the station, because it was too distracting to listen to someone speaking while trying to study. In addition, I thought to myself: What could this ministry add to me, after all? Me, with all my Degrees. I could teach him a thing or two. After a moment's hesitation I decided to listen to what he had to say...and, truly, I learned some of the most wonderful things concerning the Person of Jesus Christ. I was even filled with shame, knowing without a doubt that I couldn't have done as well as the one who had preached. It had seemed to me that it was Jesus Himself who had been speaking to me, who was there before me. And how little I knew Him, this Jesus, who nevertheless was the subject of my thoughts, and of my studies. I felt that He was far from me. It was the first time that such a feeling concerning Jesus Christ had ever presented itself to me. He seemed to be a stranger. It was as if all of my being were but emptiness, around which I had erected a structure of principles and theological dogmas, very beautiful, well-constructed, well-illustrated, but which hadn't touched my soul, which hadn't changed my being. I felt as if there were a great emptiness in me. And in spite of the fact that I continued to study and to gorge myself with reading, praying, and meditating, this emptiness became even greater with each day that passed.

I Learned Salvation By Grace
I went on listening to this same radio station, tuning in to every program that I could. I learned that the station was in Quito. It was HCJB. I learned also that it was a radio station consecrated exclusively to the preaching of the Gospel to the whole world. Sometimes I was very much touched by all that I heard, and on such occasions I wrote directly to the station to thank them and to ask for information.

What struck me the most in all that I heard was the insistence with which one spoke of salvation by grace, that all the credit for the salvation of man was given, not to the one who was saved, but to the Lord Jesus Christ, the only Savior; that man could boast of nothing, that his works were but filthy rags, that eternal life could be received within the heart only as a free gift, that it was not a reward in exchange for merits that had been acquired but was an unmerited gift given by God to whosoever repents of his sins and receives Jesus Christ into his heart and life as personal Savior. All of this was new to me. It was contrary to the theology I had been taught: that heaven and eternal life are gained by means of one's merit, faithfulness, charity, and sacrifices. And this is what I had been working at for so many years. But what was the result of my efforts?

As I considered this question I said to myself, I'm not any further ahead. If I commit a mortal sin, I'll go to hell if I die in that state. My theology has taught me that salvation is by works and sacrifices. I discover in the Bible a free salvation. My theology gives me no assurance of salvation; the Bible offers me that assurance. I'm confused. Perhaps I should stop listening to those evangelical programs.

My inner battle was taking on alarming proportions. I suffered in my body and in my heart, with headaches, insomnia, fear of hell. I had no desire to celebrate Mass nor to listen to confessions. My soul had greater need of pardon and consolation than all the other souls with which I was in contact. I avoided everybody.

But God continued to speak to me in the solitude of my anguished heart. So many questions came up in my spirit; so many misgivings smoldered in my heart. The Word of God came to my rescue, spreading a refreshing balm upon my fevered emotions. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life†(John 3:16). “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus†(Romans 3:23-24). “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord†(Romans 6:23). Many other texts came to mind, texts that I now knew because I had heard them often on the radio over station HCJB.

Holy Mother Church
The idea came to me that I should talk to my superior. A very wise man and a real father to everyone, he had already noticed my attitude. I had changed, he commented; something was wrong. I told him why I had changed. He let me talk. In concluding my confession I said to him: “I would like not only to read and study the Bible, but also to try to adapt my life to it, to live according to what is written in it without impositions of men.†The reply was very vague. He didn't want to offend me. He counseled me to continue reading the Bible, but reminded me that I must maintain my faithfulness to the teachings of our “mother, the holy church,â€Âto whom one must submit even in the things one does not understand. I listened to my superior with all the to whom one must submit even in the things one does not understand. I listened to my superior with all the respect that I owed him. He was not himself sure of his salvation. But in my heart I had lost faith in my church because it didn't teach the assurance of salvation. A split had already been made in my heart which was going to grow larger and break everything, and that quicker than I thought.

The light dawned in my heart at the moment that I least expected it. It was my turn to preach in my parish. For that Sunday I had chosen as my theme, “Religious Hypocrisy,†and availed myself of the Bible text: “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity†(Matthew 7:21-23).

The Holy Spirit Works
I knew my parishioners. I wanted to draw their attention to the vainglory manifested by certain persons with respect to their good works, forgetting that very often these good works camouflaged a corrupt heart. As I delivered my message, I was conscious that the Word of God was coming back to me, as a ping-pong ball that flies back and hits the player in the face. It is curious to see how the human spirit, in just a few seconds, can construct a complete framework of thought, which would perhaps require hours to be put into words. It was thus that, while I was giving my message, someone else was speaking in my heart and preaching a sermon to me that was precisely adapted to my personal needs. I thought that, because I was religious and a priest, I was better than all those who were listening to me. And yet, to me also, this word would resound one day in my ears: “I never knew you: depart from me.â€Â

I heard my own arguments in the face of this menace and this condemnation: How is it possible, my God, that You will not know me? Am I not Your priest? Am I not religious? Look at all the sacrifices I have made for You: the years of study, the separation from my parents and my country, my vows of poverty, obedience, and chastity, consecrating to You all my riches, my will, my body even, in order to better serve You. And You will say to me that You never knew me? Consider all the sufferings that I have endured during my missionary life: I haven't always eaten to my fill, I've cried with those who cried, I've baptized children by the hundreds, I've listened to all sorts of confessions, I've comforted so many tearful, discouraged souls, I've suffered cold, loneliness, contempt, ingratitude, threats...I'm ready even to give my life for You...

But in spite of all the arguments that I presented to God, the same condemnation continued to ring in my ears: “I never knew you....†I was at the end of arguments, at the end of my strength. I felt as if I were going to break down and cry right there before the parishioners, who also sensed the approaching storm. And down the storm broke. The tears prevented me from continuing my sermon. The discouragement when confronted with this terrible frustration of my whole life purpose, in face of my sins and the condemnation of God, was too much for me to bear. I took refuge in my office.

There, on my knees, I waited until calm returned. Where could I turn now? Perhaps my theology would save me, if I returned to it and faithfully followed all its dogmas and precepts. But that theology to which I considered attaching myself once again had already begun to experience disorder, change, destruction. My thoughts turned to my friends. But they were in the same situation as I: uncertain. Trust in myself? I could no longer count on my good works. To look at me, I was a total wreck. I could do no more; I was in a state of complete exhaustion, depressed and discouraged. This was God's moment to give me His grace. “Man's extremity is God's opportunity.â€Â

After Conviction -- The Answer
During all my reflections, God was preparing His Word of salvation: “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast†(Ephesians 2:8-9). It was here that I understood my error and the reason for God's rejection. I had been trying to save myself by my works; God wanted to save me by grace. Someone else had already taken care of my sins and of the judgment attached to them. This someone was Jesus Christ. It was for this that He died on the Cross. It was for the sins of another that He died, for He Himself had never sinned. For whose sins, then, did He die? Could it be mine? Yes, mine. I remembered the Words of Jesus: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest†(Matthew 11:28). I understood that I must go to Jesus if I wanted to have the assurance of salvation and peace of soul. I had the intention of asking Him: “But where are you Jesus, so that I might cling to you?†But even before this cry of impatience arose in my heart, I remembered another Word that I had heard: “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me†(Revelation 3:20).

Now I knew where Jesus was. He was closer than I had thought. And I hurried to invite Him to enter into my heart, without taking the time to ask permission of any man “Come in, Lord Jesus; come in to my heart. Be its Leader, its Master, O Beloved Savior.†At that moment I knew that I was freed from the punishment that had menaced me for such a long time. I was saved, pardoned. I had eternal life. God had begun His work in me. Now I understood the Word that I had heard so often and which had become real to me: “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him†(II Corinthians 5:21). “But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed†(Isaiah 53:5).

My Struggle to Continue
What happened after that? At first I continued my priestly service as best I could. But little by little I began to feel like a stranger in that position. I realized that the grace that had saved me, that had made of me a child of God, was going to enter into conflict with the “works†of the position in which I was trying to live. I was happy because I had the assurance of my salvation. But I was stifled in a setting in which I was pushed to do good works in order to merit my salvation. Salvation, I had; therefore, all of these works began to be put aside, one after the other. The orientation and presentation of my preaching changed. All that interested me was Jesus Christ: Who He was and what He had done. I abandoned the subjects prepared in advance by the liturgical organization of the diocese, in order to devote all of my efforts to the Person and work of my
beloved Savior, presenting Him as such to my bewildered parishioners, confused but often edified. I asked to be released from my functions as a Parish Priest, since I could no longer preach that which contradicted the Word of God. My superiors accepted my resignation, though they couldn't understand why I wanted to leave. They had, in fact, treated me very well, indulged me in many ways; as far as they were concerned I lacked nothing. This was true, as far as food, clothing, housing, etc., were concerned. But now I had the assurance of my salvation. Christ was now my Master. I had nothing more to do to gain my salvation; it had been gained by Another. He would therefore take it upon Himself to continue the work begun, since He never does His work by halves.

Christians Visit Me
I returned to Quebec, Canada, in 1965, for an extended period of rest. Shortly after, I was visited by evangelical Christians. How did they know of my interest in the Word of God? They were frank with me: my name had been given to them by the personnel of HCJB radio station. However, even if I found their conversation very edifying, I didn't give myself wholly to them. I didn't want to fall into another theological system, having been suppressed for years by the system into which I had been born and in which I had grown up and lived during some 40 years. Nevertheless I prayed to the Lord to find for me brothers and sisters to whom I could join myself, so that I wouldn't feel so alone. I knew the experience of the first Christians, according to the report given in Acts, “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers†(Acts 2:42). Was it possible that Christians still met together in our day in order to remember the Lord, while awaiting His return? God, Who had provided for the salvation of my soul, would provide again, in order to disclose to me the existence of His children.

New Duty
My superiors in Montreal called me one day to invite me to replace a Professor of Theology in a College in Rouyn. I hesitated about accepting the position, principally because I had never liked the Abitibi region, of which Rouyn is the main city. However, I accepted, since it would be only for a few months. The subject I was given to teach was “The Church.†I was given access to all of the books that would be necessary for the preparation of my classes.

I began my preparations using only the Bible. I explained to the students what the church is, according to the Bible. I admit that I had difficulty myself in understanding what I was teaching. It was such a contrast to the hierarchical church in which I still found myself. I very much enjoyed the study of this subject. I used a little tape recorder to illustrate the lessons, playing for the students certain interviews that I held with the general public in different places of the city.

One day I learned from the newspaper that a television program was to be presented having as its subject: “The Church.†I recorded the program in order to use it in my classes and discovered that the subject was treated from the point of view of what the Bible taught. I was so impressed by the similarity between the presentation by this unknown person, whom I later learned was an evangelical Christian, and my own, that I sent a note of thanks to the preacher, inviting him to come to see me, if this were possible. He came, and I recognized in him someone who knew the Lord. After several visits, he invited me to his home to spend Sunday with him and his family. On the occasion of that visit I attended a “Remembrance of the Lord†service for the first time.

God Answers Prayer
I recognized in this service that which was described in I Corinthians 11 and realized that God had answered my prayer, having led me to my brothers and sisters in the Lord, and having shown me that Christians in our day do indeed meet together as a local church to remember the Lord while awaiting His return. “For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come†(I Corinthians 11:26).

Shortly after, I wrote my superiors in Montreal, announcing to them the news that I had found my family and requesting that they obtain for me a dispensation from all the vows I had made to the Roman Catholic Church, since I no longer considered myself a member. My life now belonged to the Lord and its direction was henceforth under His control.

New Life in the Lord
It was thus that the Lord liberated me, not only from my sins, not only from His condemnation, but also from every system of man which burdens and suppresses. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death†(Romans 8:1-2).

Joseph Tremblay
Fluent in French, Spanish and English, he evangelizes in many different nations. In 1995 he was in Ireland presenting the Gospel as well as his testimony and the contrast between Biblical Christianity and Catholicism.

Retrieved from http://www.bereanbeacon.org/JosephTremblay.pdf

This is some of what I read: "Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself..." (Hebrews 7:27). This startled me, and I began to feel very uneasy. I understood for the first time that Jesus' sacrifice was a one-time sacrificial offering at Calvary, in itself effectual to reconcile me to God and believing repentants of all ages. I aw at this time that the "Holy Sacrifice of the Mass" offered by me and thousands of other Catholic priests daily throughout the world was a fallacy and completely irrelevant. If the "sacrifice" I daily offered as a priest was meaningless, then my "Priesthood" which existed for the purpose of offering that "sacrifice" was likewise without meaning.

If anyone can read that and still hold to the operation of the mass, then as it is written...

2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Matthew 13:14-15 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Yes, if anyone does not understand the Mass and does not understand the Bible then he would come to the same conclusion as you would D46. The Mass is one eternal sacrifice just as Christ is one eternal God. Christ is the sacrifice. Why can't he be an eternal sacrifice. But when you tell me that the verse in timothy tells us what books should be in the Bible I am not surprized that you cannot grasp what I say. :-?

Let me ask you, how many times does the sun shine? If it began shining 6000 years ago and ends in 200 years it has shinned once. If Christ's sacrifice is eternal, is it multiple sacrifices or is it one sacrifice? It is one. That it was made present to us on the cross while it was eternally offered for those of the Old and those of the new covenant does not make it two or multiple sacrifices. The Eucharist simply opens the window of heaven to that eternal sacrifice seen by John in the book of revelations.

D46 said:
If anyone can read that and still hold to the operation of the mass, then as it is written...

Your supposed "priest" had a poor understanding of the Catholic theology of the Mass. It leads me to doubt whether this person WAS a priest, to be so fatally confused on what happens during the Mass - sounds like the typical Protestant skree that attacks the usual strawman.

When I read such stuff, I can only be amazed on one of two things...Either a priest has no clue what is happening at the most important part of his mission here on earth - the participation in Christ's offering of Himself to the Father in eternity... or Protestants refuse to read the Catholic Catechism so they can actually KNOW what Catholics believe. It's not like its hidden. Considering its the same misrepresentations normally presented by Protestants, I will presume this story has some fictional elements.

Regards

Steve said:
Who is reading all these long posts? :smt012
So far 1025 individuals have visited this thread in the last 35 days. I did not post on this thread for 15 days. Also, I have kept from posting the long testimonies for Vic's database problems. If you do not like to read the testimonies of Ex-Roman Catholics, you should probably stay away, and not engender strife. What do ya think?! :wink:

Solo said:
Steve said:
So far 1025 individuals have visited this thread in the last 35 days. I did not post on this thread for 15 days. Also, I have kept from posting the long testimonies for Vic's database problems. If you do not like to read the testimonies of Ex-Roman Catholics, you should probably stay away, and not engender strife. What do ya think?! :wink:

I AM an ex-Roman Catholic!!!!!! :roll:

Steve said:
Solo said:
Steve said:

I AM an ex-Roman Catholic!!!!!! :roll:
Great, then give your testimony!!! And don't make it a short one. :wink:

Stan Weber's Christian Testimony (June 1993)
Falling In Love with the "Biblical" Jesus
A Testimony of God's Amazing Grace

by Stan Weber

What could change the faith of a Catholic from birth (and former altar boy) in his 38th year? The power of God and His Word - the Holy Scriptures! A fiercely independent electrical engineer, successful businessman, married 15 years with two children; I had gotten myself into financial and marital trouble. I had always prided myself in having my life in control. I was the “middle child†of 5 boys, and I felt I was the most secure in life. I had always tried to balance life's priorities, including religion, but things slowly got away from me. I never truly drifted from going to Mass, or practicing my Catholic faith, but I did go through periods where other things became more important. We always tried to go to Saturday evening Mass so we wouldn’t “mess up†our Sunday’s. This left me free to do whatever I desired on that dayâ€â€which was often devoted to “meâ€Â. With the pressures of our second child, lots of business travel and a slowly building line of credit card debt I would often retreat to my hobbies on the weekend. This was my way of escaping my responsibilities of child rearing and the load was unfairly being dumped on my wife. This probably went on for a few years. But it finally reached the “melting point†and she erupted. After having my wife give me an ultimatum, I agreed to go to marriage counseling. This went on for a few months.

Since I agreed to go to marriage counseling and drop my hobbies, things were going a lot better between my wife and I. She told me that an upcoming “Christian Women’s Conference†was going to be held and she wanted to go with a friend from where she was working at the time. I said, “Sure, go and have a good timeâ€â€you deserve a night awayâ€Â, and then seriously added, “but don’t you come back a Jesus-freak or anything like that-OK?â€Â

My wife came back from the conference and she never spoke a word about it, other than she had enjoyed the time away. But I did notice a change in her behavior, and it was for the better. She began to just be more pleasant and agreeable, and I certainly wasn’t going to argue about that. She also began bringing children’s Bible stories into the home and started reading them to the kids at night. The radio was changed from my “heavy metal†station to a “Christian†station with songs about Jesus. The whole home atmosphere began to change to a more serene and calm one, which was much different than the previous cold silence and quiet anger that had been hanging so heavily there.

This just convicted me even more. It was as if my wife was getting her act together, but I was still lagging behind. She gave me a six-cassette tape series entitled “The Man Who Would Be Christ†from a Christian teacher by the name of John MacArthur. I was fascinated by this series, as I had never heard someone actually “teach†Bible passages before. The topic was about the antichrist and I had never known what the Bible had to say about this fellowâ€â€only from Hollywood and movies like “The Omenâ€Â.

My wife had been going to Mass daily, and after we returned from Church one Sunday she confessed that she just wasn’t “getting anything out of itâ€Â. I countered with, “Well, that’s because we probably haven’t been putting enough into it.†My wife was actually becoming the spiritual leader of our family and I knew that was not rightâ€â€that was supposed to be my role! And with that, I endeavored to become as spiritual as I could be. In typical “engineer†fashion I dove headfirst into being as devout a Catholic as I could, even to the point of copying my mother and saying a rosary before bedtime each night.

I figured that the best way would be to follow in the footsteps of my Godfather. He had just recently become a Catholic deacon in New Orleans (my hometown). I sought out my local priest and deacon and inquired as to what was required for me to become a Catholic deacon, but was gently persuaded by the deacon to "wait until your two boys get a little older." I can honestly say that I was disappointed, but I went to a local bookstore anyway and bought several books on Catholic church history, along with the Catholic Catechism. I then began to study Catholic church history and Catholic doctrines (teachings) while reading the Bible "seriously". To my amazement, I finally began to understand the New Testament. Now, I had read portions of the New Testament while in Catholic High School religion classesâ€â€but it had been dry, hard to read and full of “Thee’s†and “Thou’s†that didn’t make much sense to me at that time. I found myself really enjoying this picture of Jesus, that I hadn’t “seen†before. Everytime the self-righteous religious leaders of the day tried to pin him down, he came back with amazing answers and replies.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was slowly starting to fall in love with this "biblical" Jesus. He spoke with compassion to sinners, like myself, and He also had a very simple message. He was telling people that He had come to save sinners, and they needed to repent and believe in Himâ€â€otherwise they were going to suffer eternal punishment. I was amazed that the message was so “binary†and straightforward. He didn’t leave any room for other choices. It was either Him or not Him. How come I had never seen that message before? I also saw the Apostles in a new light. I had always been taught that they were "godlike" saints, and had always prayed to marble statues of them as I grew up. But in the New Testament, I saw simple men, bumbling and blundering along as they followed Jesus. They were actually funny, and I would often catch myself yelling at the pages of Scripture – “Hey guys, don’t you see what Jesus meant by that---how come you guys don’t get it, yet I see what He is saying - so clearly?â€Â

Meanwhile, as I continued reading my Catholic Church history and the New Testament at the same time, I began to grow very uneasy. I didn't "see" certain Catholic teachings in the Bible (i.e., priesthood, worshipping Mary, purgatory, saying the rosary, praying to the saints, etc.) and my uneasiness began to increase. What was going on here? I didn’t expect my feelings to be going in this direction. I was just trying to find Jesus and get my life straightened outâ€â€I wasn’t looking for problems with my religious background.

My continued reading of the Bible showed me that an individual is "saved" by the grace of God through faith in His son, Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:8-9). Jesus said He was the only way that a person could ever get to heaven. I couldn’t find any mention of being a Catholic or Baptist or any other recognizable denomination anywhere in the New Testament. I simply saw that the first Christians were called, well, “Christians†and they just believed in everything that Jesus had taught them. I began to really pray and call out to God to help me sort out what was happening here.

Continued prayer and study showed me that the Catholic church taught a different way to be saved than Scripture boldly declares. The Catholic Church taught that it started at baptism, which made you “clean†from original sin, and then you continued to cooperate with God by continuously receiving the Sacraments for the rest of your life. At no time in your life could you ever be certain of going to heaven, as that was called the “sin of presumptionâ€Â. Committing a mortal sin at any time put you in grave danger of directly going to hellâ€â€should you die, unless you hurried to the confessional and received the sacrament of absolution from a priest. Missing Mass or a Holy Day of Obligation was a mortal sinâ€â€and I couldn’t even tell you what the Holy Days of Obligation during the year were, even if my life depended on it.

The Bible on the other hand stated that we are saved as soon as we repent and believe in Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9-10,13). It was an immediate thing, and once the transaction occurredâ€â€it was irreversible (Romans 8:30, 35-39). In 1st John chapter 5 verse 13 it stated that you could absolutely KNOW you had eternal lifeâ€â€no doubt whatsoever!

How could the Catholic church teachings be completely opposite of what the Bible taught? One of these two had to be wrong, because they BOTH couldn’t be right. They were diametrically opposed one another! I finally began to share these things with my wife and she confessed that she had always felt something “wasn’t quite right with the Catholic teachings†that she had also been raised with. I was shocked! I had NEVER questioned Rome and Her teachings. She WAS the Church, the Only ONE TRUE Church. She taught that there was NO SALVATION outside of her. If you weren’t a Catholic, you were going to Hellâ€â€it was just that simple.

(Continued in Next Post)

Retrieved from http://www.stanweber.com/_wsn/page4.html

(Falling In Love with the "Biblical" Jesus A Testimony of God's Amazing Grace by Stan Weber Continued from Previous Post)

Did we dare to keep talking about these things? We had both been raised Catholic in New Orleans. All of our extended family was Catholic. We had two priests at our wedding, our sons were both baptized at the church she and I had grown up in. We were actually questioning the Church we had loved, respected and believed for a lifetime. Could all those Sisters and Brothers and priests that had taught us been wrong? Did they see what we were seeing? Did they even read their Bibles? Surely they had taken the time to compare what the teachings of the Church were as compared to the Holy Scripture---or had they?

Then my wife told me the details of her night at the Christian Women’s conference. She had heard the Gospel message, for the first time, and she had repented of her sins and believed in the promises Jesus stated in the Bible. She was “savedâ€Â! She had done exactly what I had just been reading in the Book of Romans. She called upon the Lord and the transaction had occurred!

Good grief! What in the world was happening? I thrust myself even deeper into reading the Scripture and the Catholic church’s teachings. I had to be sure. I had to be absolutely certain.After a few days, I finally realized that, as the spiritual leader of my family, I had a decision to make. Would I lead them based on Rome's teachings and traditions or would I stand on God's Word alone? Who would I trust? Their eternal destiny at stake, I couldn't afford to be wrong.

My bathroom faced east in the home we were living in at that time. Early in the morning it would be flooded with a beautiful yellow sunlight so that I didn’t have to switch the electric light on. This specific morning, as I was standing in the shower, I talked to God in a way I had never done before. I begged forgiveness for my sins that had caused Him to send Jesus to die in my place at the cross on Calvary. I told Him that I was going to totally trust Him and the promises that I had read in His Word. He would be my Lord and Savior, and I would forever be His servant from that point forward. My whole trust for this life, my family and the next life would be in His hands. I promised I would never fall for the teachings of men ever againâ€â€only what His Word, the Scriptures taught. I rejected Roman Catholicism forever. As the shower rinsed away the soapsuds and they swirled down the drain, I felt my sins and guilt go down with them. I was left with a grin from ear to ear that would never, ever wash off.

I know that my testimony is not the norm. All of what I described above happened over about an eight- (8) week period. God healed our marriage. We horrified the marriage counselor by telling her that God had intervened and forgiven us, we had both forgiven each other and our sessions were going to be abruptly ending. She was not a happy camper about that! She was convinced that I had found a new “scam†and was worried I would hide behind the Bible instead of facing my “real†problems. We recovered unscathed from the financial problems, having learned those painful lessons and have remained almost debt-free since then. Our two children have professed Christ as their Savior, in the years following. We immediately began fellowshipping at a small Baptist church in July 1993 and were both baptized in August 1993. I eventually became a deacon in 1994. I realized that God had answered my prayer to become a deaconâ€â€but it was in the time and place He had planned for me all along. What an awesome God!

I would later be astounded to read what happened to me in 1st Peter 3:1-2. It states, “Wives, likewise be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the Word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear (reverence for the Lord).†THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED! My wife was saved first, and then through her chaste conduct and her newfound reverence for Jesus Christ, I was won over to the Lord. AMAZING!

We would go on to assist in the planting of a new church in October of 1998. She was the Church Secretary and I became a teaching Elder, where I presently teach the Scripture and often preach when the Pastor is on vacation.

Our love and concern for those still unknowingly “trapped†in the false Gospel of Roman Catholicism is great. My 70-year old parents, lifelong Catholics, left the Catholic church in 1995 and attended a Bible teaching/preaching church in New Orleans. My oldest brother and his wife also left the Catholic church, thus leaving my three remaining brothers to be called by the Lord at the appointed timeâ€â€we pray.

I know now firsthand how the Apostle Paul must have felt. After a lifetime of Judaism with its rules and rituals and becoming a Pharisee, the Lord instantly “saved†him on the road to Damascus. After learning the truth, his greatest burden was to share what the Lord had revealed to him with his lost Jewish brothers. Just as those Jews who were zealous for the traditions of men rejected Paul, so have those who follow the Roman Catholic traditions of men rejected me at times. But that doesn’t stop me from following the direct command of the Lord, found in Matthew 28:18-20. We are to witness to all that will listen, and my heart especially beats stronger for my fellow Roman Catholics.

I now know God was calling me to Himself, all the while I thought "I" was calling out to Him. Praise His Holy name; He is so faithful just as He promises. "All that the Father gives me (Jesus) will come to me (Jesus), and whoever comes to me (Jesus) I will never drive away," (John 6:37).May this testimony of God's amazing grace be used for His glory and honor.

Fall 2004 Update: My father, at age 80, went home to be with the Lord last December 2003. He remained a believer to the end-Praise God! One of my three remaining brothers accepted Christ, left the Roman Catholic church, and is obediently serving God outside of Houston, Texas. That leaves two remaining brothers--whom we pray for continuously.

Spring 2006 Update: I have had literally hundreds upon hundreds of people visit this website page over the past few years. It is all the Lord's work, as he moves people to seek the Truth. There are those who read my testimony and then wish to become argumentative and combative--saying things like, "You don't know what the RCC teaches", or "I was born a Catholic and I will die a Catholic". When I feel prompted by the Holy Spirit to engage those folks--and I show them the CLEAR teachings of the RCC in the Catholic Catechism, they almost always refuse to accept that those teachings are DIFFERENT from what the Bible teaches. While this breaks my heart, the Bible also tells me that this is spiritual blindness--and no amount of coaxing on my part will make any headway--I must totally turn this over to the Lord.

But, then there are those, who read my testimony, and will email me with encouraging words. Words such as, "I too, have been thinking about these things--and the Roman Catholic Church just isn't satisfying my desire to seek the Lord", or "I thought I was alone in thinking these kinds of things--I am so glad that I came across your website--you have articulated what I was feeling."

One thing that I left out of my testimony details, was when my Dad and Mom were at the "asking questions" stage--they reached a point that they REALLY wanted to know the answers. I offered to fly to New Orleans from Denver, meet with their local Priest with them in the room--and they could ask him all these questions they were having. Well, they agreed, but were too afraid to ask the Priest outright, and wanted me to do all the talking. So, I did--and it turned out to be a pivotal point for the two of them. When the Priest asked my Dad, "Has this discussion affected your faith?" my Dad responded, "Yes, it has Father...every question that Stan asked you--you began with 'The Catholic Church teaches...' whereas he was able to show us the answers directly from the Bible....so, yes Father, it has!"

I was never so proud of my Dad in my entire life! For 70+ year old "life long" Catholics to interact with a Priest in that manner was nothing short of miraculous.

I pray that my Dad and Mom's willingness to seek the Lord, to overcome their fear of asking the Priest about their faith and what the Church teaches and where it is found in the Bible--will give you, the reader who is questioning these things, a God-given confidence to do the same.

To learn more about Roman Catholicism, check out the following link at Effective Evangelism.

Retrieved from http://www.stanweber.com/_wsn/page4.html

Please remember that the traffic goes in both directions. Some Protestants become fervent Roman Catholics.

Steve said:
Please remember that the traffic goes in both directions. Some Protestants become fervent Roman Catholics.
Yes, but remember that believers do not become Roman Catholics, and Roman Catholics that become believers go to church where the Holy Spirit directs, not the pope.

Solo said:
Yes, but remember that believers do not become Roman Catholics, and Roman Catholics that become believers go to church where the Holy Spirit directs, not the pope.
How convenient.

So no practicing Roman Catholic is filled with the Holy Spirit for you then? It is impossible? Where do the Scriptures indicate the measuring bar for allowing you to personally decide who has the Holy Spirit within them and who does not?

CatholicXian said:
Solo said:
How convenient.

So no practicing Roman Catholic is filled with the Holy Spirit for you then? It is impossible? Where do the Scriptures indicate the measuring bar for allowing you to personally decide who has the Holy Spirit within them and who does not?
I never said that practicing Roman Catholic's are not filled with the Holy Spirit. I said that Roman Catholics that become believers go to church where the Holy Spirit directs. Only Roman Catholic believers have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them. Those that just have the infant baptism are out of luck. Some Roman Catholics have been told that the Roman Catholic Church is the only "Church" that will authorize one to gain access into the Kingdom of God. That just is not what the Bible teaches, nor does the Holy Spirit teach that pseudo doctrine.

According to the scriptures we, believers, have the mind of Christ Jesus. It is discernable to relate to you that those who are born again will go to church where the Holy Spirit directs, not the pope or any other man.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth F6 all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:14-16

From a Nun's Convent to Biblical Conversion

Forty five years of my life were spent as a Roman Catholic; twenty-two of them as a nun in an enclosed convent dedicated to adoration, reparation and suffering. I believed it was a nun's calling to be a miniature savior of the world like Jesus Christ.

After attending Catholic elementary school for eight years and memorizing catechism which is the Roman Catholic textbook, I believed in my heart that a family having a son or daughter become a priest or nun would receive God's favor and special blessings. I decided to enter the convent when I was old enough to leave home. This was my goal while I was still in my teens. On my twenty-first birthday, 1954, I entered the convent against my parent's wishes. My belief in my calling to be a nun superseded my parent's vehement opposition.

Even though it broke my heart to leave my parents, I consoled myself in the fact that I was doing God's will by making this sacrifice for the salvation of my family and all those outside the Catholic faith who I believed were doomed to hell.

At first, I was in awe of the solitude, structural beauty and peacefulness the convent seemed to have. I was taught to do penance such as sleeping on a board, prostrating myself at the door of the dining room as an act of humiliation, and beating myself as a means of appeasing God's wrath. This taught me to believe in a punishing, unapproachable and unloving God. I feared Him at every turn of my life. As time went on, emptiness filled my heart and hopelessness engulfed me. I became depressed, often crying while I raged with anger at authority and hatred for the rules and customs in the convent that were very cruel. My body developed all kinds of illnesses and I found myself with a tremor that only Valium could help. All the time, the medication was dulling my mind and taking away my ability to think and reason.

I was so hungry to know that God loved me and so wanting to know Him that I started reading mystical writings which taught that you could attain mystical union with God, thereby achieving supernatural knowledge of Him which led to total holiness. This path directed me to supernaturalize not only the Bible and Jesus, but anything to do with my religious life. Step by step I lost my ability to reason and deal with reality for reality was too painful for me to face.

Still feeling hopeless and so despondent, I cried out to God. In His mercy and grace He heard my prayers. In 1975, a distant cousin who had become a Christian brought an evangelist who was visiting New York to the convent. He was holding a street meeting at a nearby Catholic parish. I received permission to go and for the first time I heard the true Gospel. It certainly was Good News! For God so loved the world , that he gave his only begotten Son, (Jesus Christ) that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). I learned that Jesus died for my sins, past, present and future. When I accepted Him as my Lord and Saviour and repented of my sins, He made my dead spirit alive and began a personal relationship between the Lord and myself. This is the gift of God to those who believe -- For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8-9). How important to know that we must individually trust and believe in Him. …if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved (Romans 10:9).

After personally accepting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, I started to read my Bible and pray directly to God. In 1977 I left the convent and started on my quest to know the truth. God's Word became my only authority and everything else was measured against the Bible. But this was just the beginning. I did not realize the serious harm false doctrines and beliefs had created in my body and mind.

Through a friend I met a Christian who helped me see that being a doer of the Word brings healing to the body and clarity to the mind. For through the new birth we can have the mind of Christ. It has not been an easy road, but it has been one filled with God's love and blessing.

The Lord has been faithful to me in the promises of His Word. He promised, "And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten…" (Joel 2:25). This enabled me to begin a new life filled with joy and a true inner peace that neither the world nor religion can give.

It is my hope and prayer that I might have the privilege of sharing the love and goodness of God by telling all who hear that He has a plan for each life and is faithful to accomplish that plan when we receive the gift of salvation by believing in His Son.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him (1 Corinthians 2:9). AMEN.

Retrieved from http://www.arabicbible.com/testimonies/Jacqueline.html

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back