Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Passing of the Croc Hunter

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

AVBunyan

An article on a news page talked of the fact that the death of Steve Irwin has captivated the news for days vs. the death of other famous personalities, which the tributes last a day or so and then they’re out of the publics mind. This was very interesting to me because it is true. But why is this true. I think I know why.

Take the average Hollywood star today – one dies and they some headlines, some thoughts and tributes from friends and “admirers†and then they pass off the scene. The Croc Hunter was different – folks all over the place were broken up and tributes hung around for days. Now why the difference?

Let’s take the “average or most popular†Hollywood stars first (I know there are exceptions) –

1. Look at their lives – scandalous, divorces, drunkenness, immoral, they just look unhappy, dysfunctional families (if they have any), and on and on.

2. Look at their work – Oftentimes they portray characters described in #1 above. How can they be proud of this or feel good about this?

What value do they provide for the public other than suspect entertainment that has very little positive effect, if any? When they are interviewed do they look happy or contented? Can they look you in the eye without guilt? How can they look the interviewer’s camera in the eye after portraying the characters they portrayed or lived like they lived? Even they must have some conscience and they can’t look the camera in the eye and say, “I feel clean and great for the movies I play in and the life I lead!†I think many or even most are miserable and guilt ridden but will never admit.

Now take the Croc Hunter

Steve appeared to be happily married with 2 children and a wife he adored. Steve loved what he did and it showed. Steve was providing good, clean, positive fun while educating all ages about God’s creation. Steve was admired and loved by all ages and all kinds of folks. Steve could look the interviewer’s camera in the eye with a clear conscience. Steve left a positive mark on history. Steve was just an ordinary bloke like us and appeared to be a humble man. Steve was probably not perfect like us but the above are some of the reasons millions loved him and his work. Many would love to enjoy what they do like Steve enjoyed his job. I firmly believe many could not say the same about the average Hollywood personality. I believe the average “bloke†likes a Steve over the “Hollywood celebrity†or even professional athlete, hence the “shelf life†of the coverage, tributes and stories in the media after his death.

I believe the average Hollywood “celebrity†would like to have had Steve’s positive life over his or her own. How can these “celebrities†feel good about what they do? Steve felt great about what he did and it showed! The “celebrities†have to feel miserable about what they do and it shows!

Now, sadly, the only time I’ve ever shed a tear over the death of folks was over close relatives and a young man who recently died of cancer or different tragedies (especially involving children) but when I heard about the Croc Hunter I was devastated and wept and was surprised at why I so easily did but the above are the reasons I did. I’ve never wept for a “celebrity†though some I have respected.

The thing that hurts the most about Steve’s death is that while he lived it appeared that he was not a saved man â€✠morale, faithful, “good†but most likely not saved. My how this hurts!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: Yes, Avbunyan has a heart!

My family and I will miss Steve – millions will miss Steve – a great loss.

Folks, make your calling and election sure.

I have been talking a lot about Mr. Irwin on my secular forums, as I was incredibly saddened by his death. I enjoyed watching him with the animals, he loved them. He loved his children and wife, too.
It was a great loss.

In the Current event forum we have the same topic and I just posted this there.

In this picture it shows a stingray barb... I really didn't know that they were this long. The ones I have seen are little. This one looks like a spear. :o

stingraybarbvq0.gif

Here is a picture of a Stingray Barb that killed Steve Irwin. They are pointy and poisonous to boot. That must have hurt. I swear i never knew they were packing that in their tail until now.

AVBunyan said:
Steve was probably not perfect like us but the above are some of the reasons millions loved him and his work.

not perfect like us??? We are not perfect.. you are not perfect... I am not perfect... Steve was not perfect... no one is perfect....

What the heck?

I'm pretty sure that was meant as "Not perfect like we're not perfect"

vic said:
I'm pretty sure that was meant as "Not perfect like we're not perfect"
That's what he meant.

Okay... that makes sense... but even thinking that is what he meant it still does not read like that.

apologies.

As a fellow Australian, I too felt Steves loss.
At Australia Park zoo at this moment floral tributes cards etc are comming in from all over Australia, the staff at the zoo have their hands full keeping up with moving this mountain of flowers and cards from outside the Zoo entrance inside.
People are comming from hundreds of kilometers away to lay their flowers and cards, there are hundreds of people in line outside the zoo waiting to lay their flowers and cards.

Steves body was brought back to Australia Park Zoo yesterday, his father has asked that the family be allowed to have a private funeral so they can grieve away from Public eyes..... even though the Queensland Premier has offered Steves family a State funeral.

He will be missed by many..... but we shall see him again one day.

Revelations 5 (concordant Literal New Testament)

12 saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lambkin slain To get power and riches and wisdom and strength And honor and glory and blessing!"
13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and underneath the earth and on the sea, and all in them, I hear also saying, "To Him Who is sitting on the throne-To the Lambkin-Be blessing and honor and glory and might For the eons of the eons!"
14 And the four animals said, "Amen!" And the elders fall and worship.

See you on the last day Steve....

Incidently people...... the Wild life documentry that Steve was creating when he was killed, will be completed.
The Cast and crew got together in recent days and decided that Steve gave his life trying to make it, so they would make sure it was finished.

It should be a fitting tribute to Steves life..... watch out for it when it is released.

Peace

AVBunyan that was a great post. I felt hurt about other celebrity losses as well, Mother Teresa who I saw in person and she looked me in my eyes and I in hers, and I saw the humbleness in her, and as her bus was pulling away she put her hand on the bus windows as if to touch us. I was about 6 feet from her. I am not Catholic but I truly loved her. And I will never ever forget her. Others were Sammy, Dino, Frank, Jimi Hendrix, Elizabeth Montgomary, John Lennon, and many' many more. It is normal to feel sad about people who were a part of your life in some way. To be hurt when they leave. Steve was a loveable guy, and it hurt for him to go. But anyway thanks for that post, you really put things in their proper perspective.

I have no facts to back up the following information but I heard from someone in my assembly that Steve Irwin was actually saved just a few weeks before his death and that he was quoted saying that they had been the happiest weeks of his life. And apparently his wife Terri has been attending church for about two years now and has also given her life to the Lord.

Also the national Australian christian radio station broadcasted an interview of Terri Irwin at Australia Zoo (taped just over a year ago) when she gave her testimony.

As I said, I don't know how much truth is in this but it would be nice to think that Steve was saved and that even now the Lord comforts the heart of Terri and her two children.

Has anyone heard anything similar or can back what I heard with fact?

Faithful with joy said:
I have no facts to back up the following information but I heard from someone in my assembly that Steve Irwin was actually saved just a few weeks before his death and that he was quoted saying that they had been the happiest weeks of his life. And apparently his wife Terri has been attending church for about two years now and has also given her life to the Lord.

Also the national Australian christian radio station broadcasted an interview of Terri Irwin at Australia Zoo (taped just over a year ago) when she gave her testimony.

As I said, I don't know how much truth is in this but it would be nice to think that Steve was saved and that even now the Lord comforts the heart of Terri and her two children.

Has anyone heard anything similar or can back what I heard with fact?
I hope that's true that he was saved. None of us can say that he wasn't, because we don't know each others hearts.

Off topic, but someone at our church recently got saved and he got baptised last week when my daughters got baptised. He's probably in his early 40's and has been married for only 3 months. He and his new wife both got baptised.

Anyways, a few days after the baptism, he suddenly got sick and was put in the hospital. They have now discovered that he has cancer. He had no clue and bno symptoms before that. As sad as it is, he and his wife both have peace now because of the fact that he has been baptised and saved.

"As I said, I don't know how much truth is in this but it would be nice to think that Steve was saved and that even now the Lord comforts the heart of Terri and her two children.
Has anyone heard anything similar or can back what I heard with fact?"

Unfortunately this is just a rumor. See http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/irwin.asp This web page traces back where the rumor started and an apology was issued by the rumor starter. Steve probably leaned more to Buddhism than Christianity because with the birth of his son he had a buddhist monk to come and bless his son. Nevertheless, no one can argue that God really made someone special when He made Steve.

paisley said:
"As I said, I don't know how much truth is in this but it would be nice to think that Steve was saved and that even now the Lord comforts the heart of Terri and her two children.
Has anyone heard anything similar or can back what I heard with fact?"

Unfortunately this is just a rumor. See http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/irwin.asp This web page traces back where the rumor started and an apology was issued by the rumor starter. Steve probably leaned more to Buddhism than Christianity because with the birth of his son he had a buddhist monk to come and bless his son. Nevertheless, no one can argue that God really made someone special when He made Steve.

I think it's sad that so many people are "assuming" where his heart was. He could have gotten saved during a conversation with God while sitting on his toilet for all we know! I think we should all just hope and pray that he was saved and leave it at that. We should never assume things and spread rumors.

In this case, I think it was a good rumor so I don't see it so sad, but I find it unfortunate that it was a false report. For Christians, I think it is very natural for us to want to know where the deceased person's heart was before they died. It gives us great relief, comfort, and joy if we hear the deceased person was a Christian, and a warning if they were not to our knowledge. In the case of Steve, just based on his public life testimony, all we know is his recent association with buddhism so it is natural to assume if he affiliated with any religion it was probably buddhism but we hope in his last days he turned to Christianity. So if you look at it from another perspective, it may not seem so sad afterall but a natural hopefullness that most Christians have.

When you gaff a stingray , always gaff it from the underside, then roll it on its back. You can then stand on its tail , and cut the barb off.

The barb makes a good spear point , it never comes out without enormous damage.Its got to be pushed all the way through usually.

Stingray tastes like shark, the wings are a good feed.

Make a fire in the sand , and when the flames burn down to coals drop the stingray on top, the stringray cooks in his own skin.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back