Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Ramble On thread

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Biblereader said:
Here is where I went today, as part of my exploration of Florida parks:
http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/geo-flor/21.htm

Here's a good shot of the river view: http://www.floridastateparks.org/PhotoC ... 3-68-w.jpg
and, the plantation: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ ... ngsley.jpg

The house was closed up, for repairs, but the walk around the plantation, near the river,
was beautiful. There was what looked like a schoolroom or church, a well, slave houses down
the road, and the vats where they made indigo dye.
Unfortunately, there was, plastered on some of the walls, a bunch of politically correct evil-white-man
slave-owner stories and pictures, which put damper on enjoying the plantation for history's sake.

See, from the site is the TRUTH, but, you didn't see a shred of that, on the plantation: :mad
Zephaniah Kingsley, who operated the property from 1813-1839. Kingsley operated under a "task" system, which allowed slaves to work at a craft or tend their own gardens once the specified task for the day was completed. Proceeds from the sale of produce or craft items were usually kept by the slaves.

The path to the plantation is about 2 miles, rutted, and made of hard sand, rocks, and shells, you have
to go only 10 mph, or your car will bounce too hard.
I've got to say again, the river view is spectacular.

I plan to visit Yellow Bluff fort soon: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oEQ2jC0iSkw/S ... fffort.jpg
I went to Fort Caroline park today, too, aka Fort Caroline National Memorial
be sure to visit the crystal river and the peace river.

that pic was the st.marys river? it's not labeled, but from the locale it looks like it. wow a clean pic that river is well unsafe for fishing when i last heard. rather polluted.

I just had the biggest laugh in here. I'm going down the boards on my way to the moderator forum [and didn't get there] and I see "Ladies Locker Room" and the last topic is: Favorite Housekeeping Tips........and I'm thinking, yeah sounds good. I'm going to have to check that out after visiting the moderator forum.

Then I see Men's Locker Room...last topic is: Why does it hurt when we get kicked in our privates? and I just fell out laughing and thanking God I'm so glad we have our own Locker Room. Too Much :rolling

You men are a hoot!!! :toofunny :hysterical

Carol Lowery said:
I just had the biggest laugh in here. I'm going down the boards on my way to the moderator forum [and didn't get there] and I see "Ladies Locker Room" and the last topic is: Favorite Housekeeping Tips........and I'm thinking, yeah sounds good. I'm going to have to check that out after visiting the moderator forum.

Then I see Men's Locker Room...last topic is: Why does it hurt when we get kicked in our privates? and I just fell out laughing and thanking God I'm so glad we have our own Locker Room. Too Much :rolling

:biglaugh :clap

Oh well, that was dumb on my part........I should have figured that was Dave! :biglaugh He's too funny with his questions. They do make your mind ponder where it normally wouldn't. He's made me fall out of the chair on more than one occasion laughing myself to pieces.....and a few head/chin scratches, and going hummmmm. :rolling

You're right Tim....I'm glad you men are set apart in your own little piece/forum of cyber space. :crazy

I just played in the snow with my husband for the first time!!! Not the first time in the snow, first time with him in the snow :) WHAT FUNN!! We live in south GA, and to have snow down here is a fluke of nature really, so THIS IS A VALENTINES TREAT TO REMEMBER! :clap3

We got some of that snow too headed up here in the Carolina's from the Georgia area. We always get snow that's worth calling snow when it comes up from Georgia for some reason. And we got about four inches now, and going to snow all night.

Yeahhhhhhhhh snow angels tomorrow in the front yard....and pics!!!!!!!

yes it does :thumb Was he somebody you knew a whole lot.? my poor banana tree. i need to cut it down, it was growing back.But the frost crap has killed that thing for now. not to worry it will come back.

Thanks Caroline and Jason! I feel really goood because the Lord chose me to do His work.
And to answer your question, Jason, I met her at the beginning of school this year. We started talking (debating at first) about religion (she was an atheist because of some bad experiances with Christians and Christianity in the past. And after months of discussion and prayer, I helped her to give her heart to Christ.

J. M. Shott said:
Thanks Caroline and Jason! I feel really goood because the Lord chose me to do His work.
And to answer your question, Jason, I met her at the beginning of school this year. We started talking (debating at first) about religion (she was an atheist because of some bad experiances with Christians and Christianity in the past. And after months of discussion and prayer, I helped her to give her heart to Christ.
funny how some are athiest simply because the way we treat them, its a shame on us.

Carol Lowery said:

:biglol :rolling

Yes, thank Dave Slayer. :lol

You don't wanna see what goes on in there.....:biggrin

But I know what you mean, Carol about getting sidetracked on the forums. I know whenever I get on CF each day I firstly go to the mod forum and then the mod control panel to see what needs to be done adminstrative-wise (the 'paperwork' :biggrin) before I actually respond to new posts etc, and sometimes I get sidetracked on an interesting topic....it's quite annoying actually. So now I'm in the habit of just pressing the "End" button on the keyboard to skip to the mod forum. :)

It's like Wikpeida....you start on one article, and in a few minutes, thanks to the mass of links, you're off on a complete tangent. It's increadable to see how far sidetracked one can become without noticing it.

Nick_29 said:
It's like Wikpeida....you start on one article, and in a few minutes, thanks to the mass of links, you're off on a complete tangent. It's increadable to see how far sidetracked one can become without noticing it.

Ya know???? :rolleyes2

Caroline H said:
[quote="Nick_29":3m8t1e5k]It's like Wikpeida....you start on one article, and in a few minutes, thanks to the mass of links, you're off on a complete tangent. It's increadable to see how far sidetracked one can become without noticing it.

Ya know???? :rolleyes2 [/quote:3m8t1e5k]
Yah. And since this IS the 'ramble on' thread, I might as well make a big deal about this and go on a rant like an old fart. :biggrin

Ya know, I like Wikipedia, for the ability for anyone to edit the content - it adds a sense of community to it, and a sense that you as a contributor can really add some value to information people read. And becasue your average person can contribute, then we find that there are things on Wikipedia that are more 'niche' and that means we can get very specific. I reckon this parts awesome, so in priciple, Wikipedia, and indeed the whole of Wikimedia, is a great idea.

In practice, however, the reality can be quite different. I usually find most things are quoted as references/sources below the article, and the "see also" and "external links" are all quite useful to see where lots of the information is coming from, so we can judge how reliable articles are. The talk/discussion feature on all articles also adds to the clarification you can get, and gives the Wikipedia community the chance to discuss the article and how they can improve it, and where they see discrepencies etc. Also, New Page Patrollers (like myself) go through new pages and stubs and articles in general and flag them for improvements in quality, quanitity or source citattion and general improvement. This not only tells contributors that their work here is needed on a specific article, but also to the general reader that this article or section can be incomplete and further study outside Wikipedia may be needed. I also think that the idea of semi-protecting (padlocking) some pages o high-rprofile figures and contriversial topics or articles that are considered important or have a history of vandilism is great, so that only certain users can edit them - those users that have shown over a long period of time to be trustworthy and they have a good deal to contribute to Wikipedia (like myself).

So yeah, there are good and bad points about Wikipedia and the like, but I just wanted to say to those who criticise the site (and the Wikimedia group and foundation) that I think it's a great tool, as long as its reliability and accuracy are tested, becasue there's some great knowledge on there. I think that colleges and universities should be more leanient on Wikipedia, but OH WELL.

I'll just shut up now.

/rant.

:biggrin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back