Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Trinity

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The Trinity of God Part 1

Definition of the Trinity

The Trinity of God is a doctrine that is fundamental to the Christian faith; belief or disbelief in the Trinity marks orthodoxy from unorthodoxy. Human reason, however, cannot fathom the Trinity, nor can logic explain it, and, although the word itself is not found in the Scriptures, the doctrine is plainly taught in the Scriptures. The early church was forced to study the subject and affirm its truth because of the heretical teachings that arose opposing the Trinity.

The term Trinity is not the best one because it emphasizes only the three persons but not the unity within the Trinity. The German word Dreieinigkeit (“three-oneness”) better expresses the concept. A proper definition then must include the distinctness and equality of the three persons within the Trinity as well as the unity within the Trinity. The word Triunity may better express the doctrine.45 A proper definition of the Trinity states: “the Trinity is composed of three united Persons without separate existence—so completely united as to form one God. The divine nature subsists in three distinctions—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”46

Misinterpretations of the Trinity

Tri-theism
. In early church history men such as John Ascunages and John Philoponus taught that there were three who were God but they were only related in a loose association as, for example, Peter, James, and John were as disciples. The error of this teaching was that its proponents abandoned the unity within the Trinity with the result that they taught there were three Gods rather than three persons within one Godhead.

Sabellianism or Modalism. This teaching, originated by Sabellius (c. a.d. 200), erred in the opposite from that of Tri-theism. Although Sabellius spoke of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, he understood all three as simply three modes of existence or three manifestations of one God. The teaching is thus also known as modalism because it views one God who variously manifests Himself in three modes of existence: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Arianism. Arian doctrine had its roots in Tertullian, who subordinated the Son to the Father. Origen carried Tertullian’s concept further by teaching that the Son was subordinate to the Father “in respect to essence.” This ultimately led to Arianism, which denied the deity of Christ. Arius taught that only God was the uncreated One; because Christ was begotten of the Father it meant Christ was created by the Father. According to Arius there was a time when Christ did not exist. Arius and his teaching were condemned at the Council of Nicea in a.d. 325.

Explanation of the Trinity

God is one in regard to essence
. Early in church history the question developed whether Christ was the same as the Father in substance or in essence. Arius taught that Christ was like the Father in substance, yet the Father was greater than Christ; hence, although some equated the terms substance and essence, the proper way to designate the Trinity became “one in essence.” The essential oneness of God is linked to Deuteronomy 6:4, “Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! (Heb. echad, “compound unity; united one”). This statement stresses not only the uniqueness of God but also the unity of God (cf. also James 2:19). It means all three Persons possess the summation of the divine attributes but yet the essence of God is undivided. Oneness in essence also emphasizes that the three Persons of the Trinity do not act independently of one another. This was a constant theme of Jesus in rebuffing the charges of the Jews (cf. John 5:19; 8:28; 12:49; 14:10).

God is three with respect to Persons. The word persons tends to detract from the unity of the Trinity, and it is readily recognized that persons is an inadequate term to describe the relationship within the Trinity. Some theologians have opted for the term subsistence, hence, “God has three subsistences.” Other words used to describe the distinctiveness of the Three are: distinction, relation, and mode. The term persons is nonetheless helpful inasmuch as it emphasizes not only a manifestation but also an individual personality. In suggesting God is three with respect to His Persons it is emphasized that (1) each has the same essence as God and (2) each possess the fullness of God. “In God there are no three individuals alongside of, and separate from, one another, but only personal self-distinctions within the Divine essence.”47 This is an important deviation from modalism (or Sabellianism), which teaches that one God merely manifests Himself in three various ways. This unity within three Persons is seen in Old Testament passages such as Isaiah 48:16 where the Father has sent the Messiah and the Spirit to speak to the restored nation. In Isaiah 61:1 the Father has anointed the Messiah with the Spirit for His mission. These references emphasize both the equality and the unity of the three Persons.

The three Persons have distinct relationships. Within the Trinity exists a relationship that is expressed in terms of subsistence. The Father is not begotten nor does He proceed from any person; the Son is eternally begotten from the Father (John 1:18; 3:16, 18; 1 John 4:9). The term generation suggests the Trinitarian relationship in that the Son is eternally begotten of the Father. The Holy Spirit eternally proceeds from the Father and the Son (John 14:26; 16:7). The word procession suggests the Trinitarian relationship of the Father and the Son sending the Spirit.48 It is important to note, however, that these terms denote a relationship within the Trinity and do not suggest inferiority in any way. Because the terms can tend to suggest inferiority some theologians deny their usefulness.49

The three Persons are equal in authority. Although terms like generation and procession may be used in referring to the functioning within the Trinity, it is important to realize that the three Persons are equal in authority. The Father is recognized as authoritative and supreme (1 Cor. 8:6); the Son is also recognized as equal to the Father in every respect (John 5:21–23); the Spirit is likewise recognized as equal to the Father and the Son (cf. Matt. 12:31). (This topic will be developed further under the discussion of the deity of Christ and the deity of the Holy Spirit.)

Old Testament Teaching

While there is no definitive or explicit statement in the Old Testament affirming the Trinity, it is fair to say that the Old Testament allows for the Trinity and implies that God is a triune being in a number of passages. In the creation account of Genesis 1 both God the Father and the Holy Spirit are seen in the work of creation. It is stated that God created heaven and earth (Gen. 1:1) while the Holy Spirit hovered over the earth to infuse it with vitality (Gen. 1:2). The term God in Genesis 1:1 is Elohim, which is a plural form for God. Even though this does not explicitly teach the Trinity, it certainly allows for it as seen in the plural pronouns “Us” and “Our” in Genesis 1:26. In Psalm 110:1 David recognized a distinction of persons between “Lord” and “my Lord.” David implies that Messiah is One greater than an ordinary human king because he refers to Messiah with an ascription of deity, “my Lord.” In the prophecy concerning Christ in Isaiah 7:14 the Lord makes it clear that the One born of a virgin will also be Immanuel, “God with us.” It is an attestation to Messiah’s deity. Two additional passages previously mentioned that imply the Trinity are Isaiah 48:16 and 61:1. In both of these passages all three Persons of the Godhead are mentioned and seen as distinct from one another.

The Trinity of God continued
New Testament Teaching

Ultimately, to demonstrate that the Scriptures teach the Trinity, two things must be affirmed: that there is only one God, and that all three Persons are called God. While a fuller demonstration of the deity of each member of the Godhead is discussed under the respective categories, the teaching can be concisely stated here. The Father is called God (1 Cor. 8:6); the Son is called God (Heb. 1:8–10); the Holy Spirit is called God (Acts 5:3–4); God is one God (Deut. 6:4). Combining these four statements affirms the Trinity. There are additional New Testament passages in which the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are seen in such a relationship as to affirm both their unity and equality.

In the act of making disciples Jesus commanded that the apostles were to baptize the new disciples “in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit” (Matt. 28:19). It seems clear that the equality as well as the unity of the three Persons is intended. In Mary’s conception the Trinity is involved: the Holy Spirit came upon Mary, the power of God overshadowed her, and the resultant offspring was called the Son of God (Luke 1:35). All three are also seen as distinct at the baptism of Jesus (a denial of modalism; cf. Luke 3:21–22). In John 14:16 the unity of the three is again mentioned: the Son asks50 the Father who sends the Spirit to indwell believers forever. The unity of the three is clear. In Romans 8:9–11 all three are mentioned as indwelling the believer. The benediction of 2 Corinthians 13:14 surely is a strong affirmation of both the equality and unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (cf. also 1 Cor. 2:4–8; Rev. 1:4–5).

Difficulties with the Doctrine

Those who deny the Trinity sometimes object to the use of certain terms that seem to imply that Christ is inferior to the Father, which if true would deny the Trinity. Several of these problematic terms are noted here.

Meaning of begotten. The term begotten is used in several senses with respect to Christ. First, it is evident from Matthew 1:20 that Christ was begotten in His humanity but not in His deity. Christ was God from all eternity (Mic. 5:2), but at Bethlehem He took to Himself an additional nature, namely, a human nature. The Holy Spirit superintended Mary’s conception to assure the sinlessness of the humanity of Christ. It is with reference to the humanity of Christ that the term begotten is used; it could never be used with reference to His deity. Begotten does not relate to Jesus’ being the Son of God. In time and space Jesus was declared to be the Son of God (Ps. 2:7; Acts 13:32–33; Rom. 1:4). These verses all emphasize that Jesus’ Sonship is vindicated or verified as a result of the resurrection, but the resurrection did not make Him the Son of God. Jesus has been the Son of God from eternity. Thus, Psalm 2:7 and Acts 13:33 emphasize that begotten refers to the public declaration of the Sonship of Christ (but not the origination of the Sonship).51

Meaning of firstborn. Those who deny the deity of Christ frequently do so by referring to the term firstborn, suggesting that if the term relates to Christ it must imply He had a beginning in time. However, both a lexical study of the word as well as a contextual study of the usages provides a different solution to the meaning for firstborn. In its Old Testament culture the predominant emphasis was on the status of the oldest son. He enjoyed the double portion of the inheritance (Deut. 21:17), privileges over other family members (Gen. 27:1–4, 35–37), preferential treatment (Gen. 43:33), and the respect of others (Gen. 37:22). Figuratively, the word denotes priority or supremacy (Ex. 4:22; Jer. 31:9)52 and is so used of Christ. In Colossians 1:18 where Christ is referred to as firstborn the meaning is clear: as firstborn, Christ is head of the church and preeminent in everything.53 In Hebrews 1:6 the supremacy of Christ as the firstborn is seen in that angels worship Him. Only God is worshiped. Psalm 89:27 is perhaps one of the clearest explanations of the term firstborn. This is an example of synthetic poetry in Hebrew in which the second line explains the first. In this messianic Psalm God affirms that Messiah will be the firstborn, that is, the highest of the kings of the earth. Firstborn is explained as ruling over the kings of the entire earth. From both a linguistic and exegetical study it is clear that firstborn draws attention to the preeminent status of Jesus as Messiah.

Meaning of only begotten. The term only begotten (Gk. monogenes) (cf. John 1:14, 18; 3:16; 1 John 4:9) does not suggest a beginning point in time but rather means that Jesus as the only begotten Son of God is “unique,” “the only one of its kind,” “the only example of its category.”54 Only begotten “is used to mark out Jesus uniquely above all earthly and heavenly beings.”55 In Genesis 22:2, 12, 16 it reflects the concept of “only, precious” as Isaac was viewed by his father, Abraham.56 John the apostle describes the glory radiated by the unique Son of God—no one else radiated the glory of the Father (John 1:14); moreover, the Son “explained” the Father—no one but the unique Son could explain the Father. It was the unique Son whom God sent into the world; eternal life was provided only through the unique Son of God (John 3:16). In examining the passages it is evident that only begotten does not suggest a coming into existence, but rather it expresses the uniqueness of the person. Christ was unique as the Son of God, sent by the Father from heaven.[1]

[1] Paul Enns, The Moody Handbook of Theology, ed. Jim Vincent and Allan Sholes, Revised and Expanded. (Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2014), 205–210.

This doctrine is very misunderstood and denied.

What was posted was probably the most concise out of the books that I have.

This doctrine is refuted by many.

In my heart I do not believe anyone can really grasp how the Trinity actually works, we take it by faith.

I can realte to the opening quote....

The term Trinity is not the best one because it emphasizes only the three persons but not the unity within the Trinity. The German word Dreieinigkeit (“three-oneness”) better expresses the concept. A proper definition then must include the distinctness and equality of the three persons within the Trinity as well as the unity within the Trinity. The word Triunity may better express the doctrine.45 A proper definition of the Trinity states: “the Trinity is composed of three united Persons without separate existence—so completely united as to form one God. The divine nature subsists in three distinctions—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”46

45 Charles C. Ryrie, A Survey of Bible Doctrine (Chicago: Moody, 1989), 30.

46 Chafer, Systematic Theology, 1:276.

Thank you for your time in writing all that down, it was very informative. While people will argue and debate pretty much every subject; I do hold a belief in the Trinity. But most people will not like it.

Father (the mind), Son (the heart) and the Holy Spirit (the soul); and they are all "one" in each individual. I believe in Genesis it says to eat of the fruit would give knowledge of god's and goddess'. Our Divine Intelligence has been separated between the "conscious" and "sub-conscious"; but even with that these "scientist" will never understand the mind, or how it actually works.

Thank you for your time in writing all that down, it was very informative. While people will argue and debate pretty much every subject; I do hold a belief in the Trinity. But most people will not like it.

Father (the mind), Son (the heart) and the Holy Spirit (the soul); and they are all "one" in each individual. I believe in Genesis it says to eat of the fruit would give knowledge of god's and goddess'. Our Divine Intelligence has been separated between the "conscious" and "sub-conscious"; but even with that these "scientist" will never understand the mind, or how it actually works.
How did you come up with this?

Do you understand that it is not Biblical?

god's and goddess'?

How did you come up with this?

Do you understand that it is not Biblical?

god's and goddess'?
Genesis 3:5 NKJV

5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

I believe it was a Bible printed back in the 80's where it did say god's and goddess'; but don't quote me on that.

Trinity is not found in the Bible, NKJV; it is not Biblical; it was a doctrine created by men, as you said in your post.

As for where I came up with this; the only thing I can say is it kind of popped up in my head as I was reading your OP. I think I did say it was a belief I had regarding Trinity; I did not claim it to be "absolute truth".

Greetings electedbyhim,
The term God in Genesis 1:1 is Elohim, which is a plural form for God. Even though this does not explicitly teach the Trinity, it certainly allows for it as seen in the plural pronouns “Us” and “Our” in Genesis 1:26.
The "us" and "our" is the One God, Yahweh, God the Father inviting the Angels to participate in the creation of man in God's and the Angels' image and likeness Psalm 8:5.
David implies that Messiah is One greater than an ordinary human king because he refers to Messiah with an ascription of deity, “my Lord.”
David addresses Jesus as "my lord" in Psalm 110:1 as Jesus is superior to David because Jesus is the Son of God, because God the Father was the father of Jesus in the conception, birth process, and he is also the Son of God by character and resurrection. David is speaking concerning Jesus after his resurrection. The word "lord" does not imply "deity".

Kind regards
Trevor

Genesis 3:5 NKJV

5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

I believe it was a Bible printed back in the 80's where it did say god's and goddess'; but don't quote me on that.

Trinity is not found in the Bible, NKJV; it is not Biblical; it was a doctrine created by men, as you said in your post.

As for where I came up with this; the only thing I can say is it kind of popped up in my head as I was reading your OP. I think I did say it was a belief I had regarding Trinity; I did not claim it to be "absolute truth".
Thank you for clarifying.

The Trinity is found in the Bible, just not under that name.

Grace and peace tou you.

Greetings electedbyhim,

The "us" and "our" is the One God, Yahweh, God the Father inviting the Angels to participate in the creation of man in God's and the Angels' image and likeness Psalm 8:5.

David addresses Jesus as "my lord" in Psalm 110:1 as Jesus is superior to David because Jesus is the Son of God, because God the Father was the father of Jesus in the conception, birth process, and he is also the Son of God by character and resurrection. David is speaking concerning Jesus after his resurrection. The word "lord" does not imply "deity".

Kind regards
Trevor
Do you deny that God came as Jesus Christ in the flesh?

In my heart I do not believe anyone can really grasp how the Trinity actually works, we take it by faith.

Great thread E.
Remember to post sources if the words are not yours.

Greetings electedbyhim,

Kind regards
Trevor
Angels cannot participate in creation.
Only God creates.

Greetings Electedbyhim and GodsGrace,
Jesus a human, the Son of God, born of God the Father and Mary, fully reveals the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. There is no mention of God the Son being shrunk into the womb of Mary.
Angels cannot participate in creation.
Only God creates.
The One God, Yahweh, God the Father delegates many aspects of his work to the Angels, and they use His Power and Authority to accomplish His Purpose and Will in the earth. It is quite evident that the Angels were in the Garden with Adam and Eve, and confronted them after they sinned. God the Father was in heaven. A proper understanding of Psalm 8:5 interprets Genesis 1:26-27. The Angels here, "Elohim" in Psalm 8:5 were part of the "us" and "our" of Genesis 1:26-27.

Kind regards
Trevor

Jesus a human, the Son of God, born of God the Father and Mary, fully reveals the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. There is no mention of God the Son being shrunk into the womb of Mary.

The above is almost blasphemous since that is exactly what happened.

I don't read every word of these posts so sorry if I should know this:
Who is God the Son in your last paragraph?
Who was in Mary's womb?

The One God, Yahweh, God the Father delegates many aspects of his work to the Angels, and they use His Power and Authority to accomplish His Purpose and Will in the earth. It is quite evident that the Angels were in the Garden with Adam and Eve, and confronted them after they sinned. God the Father was in heaven. A proper understanding of Psalm 8:5 interprets Genesis 1:26-27. The Angels here, "Elohim" in Psalm 8:5 were part of the "us" and "our" of Genesis 1:26-27.

Kind regards
Trevor
Angels have their work to do,,,but that work does not include creation. If you think they do we'll be needing verses. Again, only God creates.
Theology 101.

Elohim could mean God or gods back in the OT times. It came, eventually, to mean God.

Kind regards
Trevor
TrevorL.

Please confirm with a yes or no answer.

It is quite evident that the Angels were in the Garden with Adam and Eve, and confronted them after they sinned.
Adam and Eve were drove from the garden by God . No confrontation with angels is spoke of , Adam and Eve were gone from the garden then Cherubims were placed east of the garden .

Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
It is quite evident that the Angels were in the Garden with Adam and Eve, and confronted them after they sinned. God the Father was in heaven.
Plainly the bible said , "God walking in the garden " I take that literally , no reason not to .

Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

While there is no definitive or explicit statement in the Old Testament affirming the Trinity, it is fair to say that the Old Testament allows for the Trinity and implies that God is a triune being in a number of passages. In the creation account of Genesis 1 both God the Father and the Holy Spirit are seen in the work of creation. It is stated that God created heaven and earth (Gen. 1:1) while the Holy Spirit hovered over the earth to infuse it with vitality (Gen. 1:2). The term God in Genesis 1:1 is Elohim, which is a plural form for God. Even though this does not explicitly teach the Trinity, it certainly allows for it as seen in the plural pronouns “Us” and “Our” in Genesis 1:26. In Psalm 110:1 David recognized a distinction of persons between “Lord” and “my Lord.” David implies that Messiah is One greater than an ordinary human king because he refers to Messiah with an ascription of deity, “my Lord.” In the prophecy concerning Christ in Isaiah 7:14 the Lord makes it clear that the One born of a virgin will also be Immanuel, “God with us.” It is an attestation to Messiah’s deity. Two additional passages previously mentioned that imply the Trinity are Isaiah 48:16 and 61:1. In both of these passages all three Persons of the Godhead are mentioned and seen as distinct from one another.
Hello electedbyhim, Interesting.

Love, Walter And Debbie

The problem with the Trinity doctrine is that it isn't explained or described in the same way theologians describe it. There is what the Bible says and then there are those who interpret it and call it the Trinity.

If we just take what Jesus taught, for example, he didn't say anything that helps the Trinity.

He said God is one, not three:

Mark 12​
29Jesus replied, “This is the most important: ‘Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One.​

No mention of the Holy Spirit knowing the Father and Son:

Matthew 11​
27All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him.​

Blasphemy against the Son forgivable, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit not, no mention of the Father:

Matthew 12​
32Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come.​

Jesus didn't teach what Trinitarian commentators would have us believe in regards to prayer, fasting, or worship:

Jesus taught praying to the Father:

Matthew 6​
6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.​

The exception to seeing what is done in secret is the Father, no mention of a Son or Holy Spirit seeing what is done in secret:

Matthew 6​
17But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18so that your fasting will not be obvious to men, but only to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.​
Jesus only taught about worshipping the Father:

John 4​
23But a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these to worship Him. 24God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth.”​

The equality with God that Trinitarian theologians insist Jesus has, Jesus actually said otherwise:
John 14​
28...the Father is greater than I.​
Jesus denied being God:

Mark 10​
18“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone.​

So while I understand how it's possible to teach the Trinity using the Bible, there is a lot of the Bible that doesn't help it. I have barely dented the surface, only quoting a few choice verses from the gospels. Personally, I won't believe in it.

Back