Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Trinity

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Greetings again Free and Fastfredy0,
There isn’t one verse in the entire Bible that clearly or directly states that God is an absolute unity (unitarian; one person).
I consider the following is teaching that God is One:
Deuteronomy 6:4 (KJV): Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Mark 12:28–31 (KJV): 28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Seems to be a contradiction.
Your comment is obscure. I find no contradiction in this passage.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Free and Fastfredy0,

I consider the following is teaching that God is One:
Deuteronomy 6:4 (KJV): Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Mark 12:28–31 (KJV): 28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Kind regards
Trevor
Deut 6:4, and its use and confirmation by Jesus, is a statement of monotheism only. Every anti-Trinitarian conflates the idea of absolute unity with monotheism, but those are two distinct ideas.

Again, there is no verse in the entire Bible that clearly or directly states that God is an absolute unity.

That isn’t a helpful response, as I could tell you to take off your opaque unitarian glasses, and that gets us nowhere.

I do agree they are simple and clear. In Gen 1:26 God is clearly using plural personal pronouns in deciding to make humans, and then verse 27 switches to singular personal pronouns of God when he makes humans. It only states that we are made in God’s image, not angels.

So, while on its own it doesn’t prove the Trinity, a plain reading leaves the door open for a triune God as it strongly implies a plurality within the one God. There isn’t one verse in the entire Bible that clearly or directly states that God is an absolute unity (unitarian; one person).
There are many verses that say Yahwah is the only God, and there is no other.

I guess I will have to spell it out then (didn't think I'd have to)

Premise 1:
I do not believe that the Angels "take on human form"
Premise 2:

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.​

Now, since people interacted with angels and didn't know they were interacting with angels, it is evident that the angels were in human form. Therefore your premise that angel do no take human form is proven wrong.

Greetings again Fastfredy0,
I guess I will have to spell it out then (didn't think I'd have to)
The reason why I questioned your statement is that I was uncertain how you understand what Angels are actually like. Do you view them the same as depicted in art, similar to human form but with very large wings? Or possibly ghost-like spirits with no physical substance?
Now, since people interacted with angels and didn't know they were interacting with angels, it is evident that the angels were in human form. Therefore your premise that angel do no take human form is proven wrong.
What I am suggesting is that Angels were not in human form, but appeared as they actually are, substantial physical beings, but not dependent on air and blood. Man was made in their image, but a little lower in that man is dependent on air and blood. Jesus in his resurrected form was the same body but changed to immortality. The immortal body is naturally glorious in appearance, but it is evident that they can withhold this glory. Moses and Elijah in the Transfiguration appeared in glory with Jesus and this is a vision of what they and all the faithful will be like in the resurrection.

Kind regards
Trevor

Again, you have given nothing in support of that assertion. The only evidence you provided actually supports it. Wikitionary is not support.
2 Peter 1:20
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.

You are accepting an interpretation in place of a translation. "Let us" is a personal interpretation in place of a translation. Scholars have taken liberties in translating the bible do to their own personal beliefs.

2 Peter 1:20
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.

You are accepting an interpretation in place of a translation.
And so are you.

"Let us" is a personal interpretation in place of a translation. Scholars have taken liberties in translating the bible do to their own personal beliefs.
Yet, you have not provided support for your assertion.

Back