Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Was Judas Iscariot ever 'saved'?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Saved devils!?!?!?!

I've seen this issue before. Have the below verses been considered? What am I missing here? :o

John 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
John 6:71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon:

I wouldn't think a devil could be saved. :-? In fact I firmly believe a devil cannot be saved.

Wow, what a lot of posts from the time I logged on to the time I posted. Let's keep the conversation upon the issues, OK gentlemen and let's encourage and exhort one another from the scriptures.

BTW, the issues of this thread DO NOT include the RCC's veneration of Mary or any other doctrine specific to the RCC. They do include the issues that are raised by the life, walk and death of Judas Iscariot, which are numerous enough for one thread.

thessalonian said:
You might want to try some reading glasses as well.
"spin doctors" != spin doctrine. I said you were a spin doctor but the main essence of my post was the superimposing of OSAS and present forgiveness of future sins. The mistake is yours.

"spin doctors" != spin doctrine"
You might want buy a dictionary. A spin doctor and a spine doctrine are not the same thing.

Again, you make a proposition that I have superimposed OSAS on Galatians 5:6. You do not give an exegesis of the text, you merely state the proposition. Do you know the difference between making a proposition and defending a proposition?

By the way, Christs sacrifice was made once and so salvation occured at the cross, so future sins have already been forgiven.
Heb 10:12 but he, when he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

handy said:
Mondar, I disagree that grace and salvation are the same thing. Grace is the means by which salvation is opened to us. "For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of your own, it is the gift of God; not as a result of any works, that no one should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
Salvation is eternal life with God.

Grace is His purchase and offering to us of that eternal life.

Faith is the means by which we receive the gift.

What is the Faith by which we receive this gift?

handy, the doctrine of Grace and salvation by grace are not the same thing. An unbeliever can understand the doctrine of salvation by grace and not believe it. In that case he understands grace, he knows what grace is, but is not under saving grace. To distinguish between the doctrines of Grace, and saving grace is very important to understand what I am saying in that previous post.

Re: Saved devils!?!?!?!

AVBunyan said:
I've seen this issue before. Have the below verses been considered? What am I missing here? :o

John 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
John 6:71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon:

I wouldn't think a devil could be saved. :-? In fact I firmly believe a devil cannot be saved.

Hi, and welcome to the conversation. Yes, the verses you share have been considered. It is the opinion of at least one here though that, because Judas walked with Christ at least two years prior to His making this statement, that perhaps Judas was saved prior to his betrayal. Which would beg the question, if Judas were saved prior to his betrayal was he still then saved after it?

As you point out though, can a devil be saved?

Well, maybe. Jesus did call Peter, 'Satan'.

I think the answer to whether or not Judas is saved now, as we speak, was answered by Jesus when Jesus said that he was the only who perished and that was in fulfillment of Scripture. John 17:12

But, if Judas was saved prior to his betrayal, then this must be proof positive that OSAS is in error and one can indeed lose salvation. But, is the fact that he was an apostle, walked with Jesus for three years, and did signs and wonders proof that Judas was ever born-again?

mondar said:
handy, the doctrine of Grace and salvation by grace are not the same thing. An unbeliever can understand the doctrine of salvation by grace and not believe it. In that case he understands grace, he knows what grace is, but is not under saving grace. To distinguish between the doctrines of Grace, and saving grace is very important to understand what I am saying in that previous post.

Very well, mondar. Perhaps we're getting bogged down in a morass of semantics, but I think that it's profitable to be clear on the definitions of these words:

Faith and Saving Faith (which I believe I addressed in my previous post)
Grace and Saving Grace

Please, help me understand what you mean regarding distinguishing between the doctrines of Grace and saving grace.

Re: Saved devils!?!?!?!

handy said:
1. As you point out though, can a devil be saved?

2. Well, maybe. Jesus did call Peter, 'Satan'.

3. But, if Judas was saved prior to his betrayal, then this must be proof positive that OSAS is in error and one can indeed lose salvation. But, is the fact that he was an apostle, walked with Jesus for three years, and did signs and wonders proof that Judas was ever born-again?
1. No - devils are not people not just people filled with devils.

2. Because Satan filled this particular devil.

3. There are many counterfeits -
2 Cor 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2 Cor 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Lost people can read their bibles, witness, pray, go to church, chat on forums and still be unregenerate and go to hell

Goodness...Lets take a look at a very popular verse that is a thorn in side of Catholics and those who believe one can loose his salvation....

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Now lets look at this in the context of Paul's letters....

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Folks...Grace is not the same thing as Justification....
Justification is ''Salvation''In the context of Paul's letters he saying that we are made righteous through Jesus...When God sees us, he sees the righteousness of Jesus.....

How are we saved...Through Faith...
Grace is Gods undeserved, un-earned, un-merited Favor upon us...Can one fall from Gods Favor? Yes...There are many examples through out the scriptures of God pulling his favor or Grace from folks...But no place do I read where he took away ones salvation...No place do I read where a person is UN-BORN AGAIN or UN-JUSTIFIED or Reborn again or re-justified again...

Many of you sound like Nicodemus...
John 3:4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?â€Â

Jesus was speaking of Spiritual re-birth...

handy said:
Very well, mondar. Perhaps we're getting bogged down in a morass of semantics, but I think that it's profitable to be clear on the definitions of these words:

Faith and Saving Faith (which I believe I addressed in my previous post)
Grace and Saving Grace

Please, help me understand what you mean regarding distinguishing between the doctrines of Grace and saving grace.

{To Calvinists-----> In this post I will be using the phrase "doctrines of grace." Do not be confused, I am not talking about TULIP, but other doctrines of grace---IE justification by faith alone.}

{Also, I wish to apologize for using the wrong reference in previous posts. The proper text is Galatians 5:4 and not 5:6. No wonder no one knows what I am talking about, no one knows the proper text I am referring to.}

The epistle of Galatians is about the doctrines of Grace such as justification by faith without works. To add the works of the Law, or any works would be another gospel (Galatians 1:9). If you add our own righteousness to Christs righteousness, then we have set aside grace, and Christ died in vain (Gal 2:21). The Galatians may have once believed the gospel of grace (justification by faith without works) when Paul first came to them. Then they forsook the gospel of grace by believing that the something other then faith was neccessary for salvation (currcumcision or the law). In attempting to add too grace, they fell from a proper doctrinal understanding of salvation by grace alone. Galatians 5:4 is talking about this change in the attitudes of the Galatians concerning the doctrines of Grace. The context of Galatians is not a loss of salvation, but a loss of proper doctrine in the Church of Galatia. It was in the doctrinal sense that the Galatians fell from Grace. Paul was simply writing to say that the must return to the proper doctrine of justification by faith without works.

Notice that the phrase "justification" occurs right in the verse (5:4). Justification defined is --- the act of God the judge whereby he bangs his gavel and pronounces the sinner acquited of the charge of sin on the basis of Christs shed blood. God never acquited us because of our own works (no matter if the law or cirrcumcision or any other works), but because of the works of Christ. To take any other doctrinal position on justification is to "fall from Grace" doctrinally.

Notice the doctrinal language in 5:2. If you are circumcised, Christ will not profit you. If taken to refer to salvation, then only female Americans can be saved. If taken to refer to the doctrines that cirrcumcision does not assist in justification, then the verse makes more sense.

In verse 3 Paul is not making an appeal for men to keep the Mosaic Law, but for men to consider a doctrinal truth.

To have grace fall from us, I am referring to the loss of salvation, and not referring to a fall from a proper doctrinal position.

Handy, I hope this helps. If one believes that it is the power of Christ that keeps us saved...
Jude 24 24 Now to Him who is able to keep you[a] from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,

I do not believe anyone is capable of keeping their own salvation. However, the savior that saved me, is able also to keep me saved.

Well, Handy, even if you reject my position, I hope it is more clear.

John 10:26-30 says; "but you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep, as I said to you." " My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. "And I give them eternal life, and they shall NEVER PERISH; neither shall anyone SNATCH them out of my hand. "My father who has given them to me, is greater than all; and NO ONE is able to SNATCH them out of my father's hand. "I and my father are one."

No place do I read where a person is UN-BORN AGAIN or UN-JUSTIFIED or Reborn again or re-justified again...

The reason why is clear from Scripture:

For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain terrifying expectation of judgment, and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnessess. How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as un-clean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? Hebrews 10:26-29

Mind you, the writer is speaking not of those who aren't born-again, but those who were sanctified by the blood of the covenant. As the writer mentioned earlier, "It is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify the Son of God and put Him to open shame." v6:6

So, no, we will not hear of anyone being re-born again or re-justified again. We cannot in good conscience teach that one cannot fail to achieve eternal life, for the warnings are throughout the New Testament. As the writer says, we need to be "diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall through following the same example of disobedience." v4:11

I believe that this is why Paul states, "...in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in oder that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and readching forwared to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goarl for the prize of the upward call of God." Philippians 3:11-14

I want to be clear, I do not think that Jesus will lose one, not even one, who is called by His name. I do believe that all will be able to perservere until that day. Not because we are so good and faithful, but because God is that good and that faithful. But, believing that all will be saved is NOT the same thing as believing that once one is saved one is always saved. Telling someone 'once saved always saved' is not only not Scriptural, it can lull believers into doing exactly what the writer of Hebrews warns against, namely to follow the example of disobedience of the Israelites in the desert and fail to enter His rest. Hebrews 4:11

Handy
I will address your post in more detail a little later, for now I will ask....
''Who'' was the book of Hebrews written to?

mondar said:
{To Calvinists-----> In this post I will be using the phrase "doctrines of grace." Do not be confused, I am not talking about TULIP, but other doctrines of grace---IE justification by faith alone.}

{Also, I wish to apologize for using the wrong reference in previous posts. The proper text is Galatians 5:4 and not 5:6. No wonder no one knows what I am talking about, no one knows the proper text I am referring to.}

The epistle of Galatians is about the doctrines of Grace such as justification by faith without works. To add the works of the Law, or any works would be another gospel (Galatians 1:9). If you add our own righteousness to Christs righteousness, then we have set aside grace, and Christ died in vain (Gal 2:21). The Galatians may have once believed the gospel of grace (justification by faith without works) when Paul first came to them. Then they forsook the gospel of grace by believing that the something other then faith was neccessary for salvation (currcumcision or the law). In attempting to add too grace, they fell from a proper doctrinal understanding of salvation by grace alone. Galatians 5:4 is talking about this change in the attitudes of the Galatians concerning the doctrines of Grace. The context of Galatians is not a loss of salvation, but a loss of proper doctrine in the Church of Galatia. It was in the doctrinal sense that the Galatians fell from Grace. Paul was simply writing to say that the must return to the proper doctrine of justification by faith without works.

Notice that the phrase "justification" occurs right in the verse (5:4). Justification defined is --- the act of God the judge whereby he bangs his gavel and pronounces the sinner acquited of the charge of sin on the basis of Christs shed blood. God never acquited us because of our own works (no matter if the law or cirrcumcision or any other works), but because of the works of Christ. To take any other doctrinal position on justification is to "fall from Grace" doctrinally.

Notice the doctrinal language in 5:2. If you are circumcised, Christ will not profit you. If taken to refer to salvation, then only female Americans can be saved. If taken to refer to the doctrines that cirrcumcision does not assist in justification, then the verse makes more sense.

In verse 3 Paul is not making an appeal for men to keep the Mosaic Law, but for men to consider a doctrinal truth.

To have grace fall from us, I am referring to the loss of salvation, and not referring to a fall from a proper doctrinal position.

Handy, I hope this helps. If one believes that it is the power of Christ that keeps us saved...
Jude 24 24 Now to Him who is able to keep you[a] from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,

I do not believe anyone is capable of keeping their own salvation. However, the savior that saved me, is able also to keep me saved.

Well, Handy, even if you reject my position, I hope it is more clear.

Thank you, mondor, this makes it much more clear. Believe me, you and I do not disagree as much as you might think. But, I do think that the warnings Paul gives are more than just an appeal to doctrinal purity. I believe firmly that those warnings are real and are there to keep us from falling from grace, from following the same example of disobedience that would cause one to turn from God.

I've spent way too much time on this subject today and truly must log off the computer and log-on to some dishes that are piled in my kitchen. I really appreciate the input of everyone taking part in this discussion because I believe we all tend to look at Scriptures from a certain point-of-view and miss things. By everyone jumping in and pointing out different scriptures, I think we can all come to a better understanding of what it means when we are told that He who began a good work will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

jgredline said:
Goodness...Lets take a look at a very popular verse that is a thorn in side of Catholics and those who believe one can loose his salvation....

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
No throne at all. It is completely Catholic theology that we are saved by grace through faith as a gift from God and that we cannot boast of our salvation. You post straw men and bowl them over. Where you will mess up is with regard to missunderstanding what works of the law are and works due to God's grace motivating the believer to do good. See Is 1 for the first and Eph 3:20-21 for the second. Faith must be an active and living faith. Therefore it cannot be alone.

Now lets look at this in the context of Paul's letters....

[quote:eddc7]Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Looking for the word alone here. Not seeing it. Once again you can go to IS 1 and it will let you in on what deeds of the law are.

[quote:eddc7]Folks...Grace is not the same thing as Justification....
Justification is ''Salvation''In the context of Paul's letters he saying that we are made righteous through Jesus...When God sees us, he sees the righteousness of Jesus.....

:roll: Justification and grace go side by side as well as sanctification.

How are we saved...Through Faith...
Grace is Gods undeserved, un-earned, un-merited Favor upon us...Can one fall from Gods Favor? Yes...There are many examples through out the scriptures of God pulling his favor or Grace from folks...But no place do I read where he took away ones salvation...No place do I read where a person is UN-BORN AGAIN or UN-JUSTIFIED or Reborn again or re-justified again...
[/quote:eddc7][/quote:eddc7]

What on earth does by grace through faith mean to you. This is an incredible cluge. Grace is the power of the holy spirit working in us. One who is born again can die. It is a false arguement to say that one can be un-born again or unjustified. One can become dead to sin. Christ has shown that he can raise one from the dead. He can do this spritually after one has been born again as well.

First of all No one is saved because of what he or she does in this Life, nor is a person lost because of the lack of good works done in this life. Salvation is not of works (Epha.2:8-9) A person is saved because he or she trusts in Jesus Christ for forgiveness of sin. The individual is declared righteous before God. We do not have to wait until you die to find out if you will go be with the Lord after Death. Jesus said " Most assuredly I say to you, he who hears my word and believes in him who sent me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but he has passed from Death into life" (John 5:24). This teaches that a believer "has everlasting life" While he lives. The moment a person trust in Jesus Christ, he or she passes from death to life and has eternal life forever. So even a rebellious Christian who might get drunk and kill himself in an automobile accident will go to heaven, because he once trusted in Jesus, and therefore "passed from death into life." The same will be true of a christian who might kill himself by chain smoking, taking illegal drugs, contracting aids through illicit sex, or by any other of a dozen ways to shorten one's life. Some can be turned over to satan for the destruction of the body, that the soul may be saved (1 corn.5:5) this verse seems to imply that that these people lived in sin, or committed a great sin, but went to heaven after they died.

sisterchristian said:
First of all No one is saved because of what he or she does in this Life, nor is a person lost because of the lack of good works done in this life.
I have come to believe that we can indeed become lost. I think that we have turned "saved by faith" into "saved by one-time agreement to proposition that Jesus died for my sins and in Lord". Faith without works is dead - it cannot save. I think we need to be aware of the possibility that we use the word "faith" as if it is equivalent to "belief". I do not think they are the same.

There are just too many texts that suggest that lack of works can indeed put you outside the kingdom.

Romans 2: 6-8

God "will give to each person according to what he has done." To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.

Matthew 25:

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.

This is, in my opinion, a complicated issue. However, I see too many warnings in the Scriptures about the possibility of "falling away" to allow me to believe that a one-time act of assent to the proposition that I am a sinner and Jesus is Lord is really constitutive of saving faith.

Drew, I too, have come to the conclusion that we can indeed lose faith, there are just too many warnings in the Scriptures that speak to this.

I said something earlier today that I want to repeat, mainly because this thread really moved right along, and now it's two pages back and I'd like to consider it a bit further.

Our faith is not a simple belief, go to church, recite the Apostle's Creed and mean it and you're in. Our faith is a much more active thing and the evidence that we hold this kind of faith is by our works. Jesus said that the nature of one can be known by the fruit they bear. Matthew 7:16 We also are known by our fruit and we bear fruit in every good work that we do. Colossians 1:10

I also said somewhere along the line that I believe that we must approach Scripture as a whole and be able to reconcile James 2 with Philippians 2 and Ephesians 2. James and Paul are not in disagreement with each other and James 2 does not cancel out Ephesians 2, nor does Ephesians 2 trump James 2.

I've studied these texts for many years. Let me lay out the key texts in a certain way that I believe will retain the meanings in the orginal contexts, yet show this issue in a clearer light. Let's see if we can come to agreement with each other as to their meaning:

For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of any works that no man should boast. Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand. Someone may well say, "You have faith, and I have works, show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works." So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

(The texts above are Ephsians 2:8-10; Philippians 2:12-13 and James 2:17-18)

I think that if Paul and James had ever sat down with each other to hold a class on the issue of faith/works, this is most likely what they would have come up with. Again, these texts blend together beautifully because they are not in conflict with each other at all, the Holy Spirit inspired both writers. Faith is what saves, but saving faith is a faith that bears fruit via works. Works alone do not save, but if there is no works, that is evidence that there is no faith.

At any rate, enough for tonight. I'm going to try to hit the sack a little earlier than I have lately. If y'all want to, you can rejoice with me. We had a cow who was having a very difficult pregnacy and she required a lot of watching over. Since I don't have a job that takes me away from home, I've done the night watches. This evening, she gave birth to a perfectly healthy little heifer that is as cute as can be. It was tricky, because we needed to take some stitches out of the cow at just the right time. God blessed us in that I was able to see her from my kitchen window, as I was doing dishes, and noticed that the time was at hand. We got the stitches out, and the calf was delivered without any problems. I've helped delivered 15 calves now, and I never cease to be in awe of the miracle of life.

Sorry Thess...But there in lies one of the many problems with the catholic church...

Grace, justification, sanctification and have you heard of glorification????
The catholic church has these very simple to understand terms and has put them into a blender....

Since catholics believe that the pope can make scripture, I pray that one day there will be a pope who is born again and will abolish all the heresy that has been taught by the catholic church for hundreds of years and many will come to have a saving faith in Jesus Christ....

jgredline said:
Sorry Thess...But there in lies one of the many problems with the catholic church...

Grace, justification, sanctification and have you heard of glorification????
The catholic church has these very simple to understand terms and has put them into a blender....

From the outside looking in I can see where you might think that. The definitions however make alot of sense. Sanctification is neccessary because of sin. Therefore it is a part of justification and fully neccessary for glorification.

From the outside looking in some might have thought there was an oragy going on when people were hearded in to a shower and gassed during the holocaust I suppose.

Since catholics believe that the pope can make scripture, I pray that one day there will be a pope who is born again and will abolish all the heresy that has been taught by the catholic church for hundreds of years and many will come to have a saving faith in Jesus Christ....

You twist. Popes do not make scripture but interpret it infallibly at critical times. A lesser charism than making scripture, which noone has. Since you are unable to discern different gifts of the Holy Spirit of which we know there are many, there must be a problem with your holy spirit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back