Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What will cause men's hearts to fail?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Luke 21:26
"Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken."

What do you suppose will cause people to basically have heart attacks when they see it? What sort of abominations are coming down the pike? And what does it mean that the powers of heaven shall be shaken? Will the sky LITERALLY be falling?? And are we seeing the beginnings of all this now- or is this far off in the future?

I think it comes down to two things: Fear of your life ("pain", or "torture" would be included here), or fear for your reputation (The "Fear of Man" the Bible speaks so much about...... what people think of you.)

BTW "the sky falling" is a natural impossibility. This is the ancient assumption that the Earth was at the center of the universe, and any heavenly body (stars, planets, etc) would HAVE to "fall" toward this planet. This would likely only be the case of our own moon. All the rest would go flying off into space, somewhere, if this is what was meant in Scripture.

What about Isaiah 34:4 and Revelation 6:14 where they both talk about the sky rolling up like a scroll? I know it doesn't mean a literal "falling" but hey, If I were chicken little, I'd certainly be running around saying "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!"

How about the Wrath of the Lamb, during the judgement of the Flood mankind only survived as long as they could tread water, but during the 7 years of the Tribulation we read there will be a time when mankind will want to die, but can't, personally what I think is those that haven't died because of the Judgements God keeps alive to have people living during the Kingdom Reign, or also people that will finally turn to Jesus and of course His chosen people Israel.

Blessings

All I can say is that a person is going to read whatever they want to into Scripture. We always have.

But to depart from typical forum protocol, and remain on one thing for longer than a moment..... What does the Bible say is meant by the Sun and moon and stars etc, in Joseph's dream (just to take one place where it is plainly explained to us in simple language)? That's in Genesis 37, I believe.

Last edited:
All I can say is that a person is going to read whatever they want to into Scripture. We always have.

But to depart from typical forum protocol, and remain on one thing for longer than a moment..... What does the Bible say is meant by the Sun and moon and stars etc, in Joseph's dream (just to take one place where it is plainly explained to us in simple language)? That's in Genesis 37, I believe.
Exactly, the sun, moon, and stars is not always talking about the literal objects in the heavens. We tend to read the scripture with our modern and western imagery rather than that of the meanings as the Jewish people of that time would have understood them.
We forget that most of the leadership of the Christian church had been raised in Judaism and knew what these symbols represented from their old testament scriptures and they would have been the ones explaining their significance to the rest of the church.

Exactly, the sun, moon, and stars is not always talking about the literal objects in the heavens. We tend to read the scripture with our modern and western imagery rather than that of the meanings as the Jewish people of that time would have understood them.
We forget that most of the leadership of the Christian church had been raised in Judaism and knew what these symbols represented from their old testament scriptures and they would have been the ones explaining their significance to the rest of the church.
This is so VERY important... yet we keep on missing it every time we turn a page in the Bible, and find something else we can sensationalize in our "modern" thinking.

Gen 37:9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.
Gen 37:10 And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?

"Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken."

What do you suppose will cause people to basically have heart attacks when they see it? What sort of abominations are coming down the pike? And what does it mean that the powers of heaven shall be shaken? Will the sky LITERALLY be falling?? And are we seeing the beginnings of all this now- or is this far off in the future?

If you are a Preterist, nothing will cause men's heart's to fail, because that language is all just "symbolic".

Jesus said the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven.

What will cause men's hearts to fail is FEAR.

This is coming soon.

JLB

Gen 37:9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.
Gen 37:10 And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?

We know from the scriptures that his dream was symbolic of his family bowing down to him in Egypt.

We also know of a symbolic reference to the stars falling, as a future event.

3 And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. 4 His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to give birth, to devour her Child as soon as it was born. Revelation 12:3-4

The stars represent the angels that are under Satan's authority, who will be cast to the earth.

Presently they are referred to as the powers and spiritual host's of darkness in the HEAVENLY REALMS.

JLB

If you are a Preterist, nothing will cause men's heart's to fail, because that language is all just "symbolic".
Why would you say such a thing?
Men's hearts fail from fear, just as the scripture implies. There is nothing symbolic in that.
Please try to refrain from such rhetoric. Thank you.

Jesus said the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven.

What will cause men's hearts to fail is FEAR.

This is coming soon.

JLB

Luke 21
22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

The people are witnessing and being caught up in the wrath of God.

1lg139tornado1.gif

Then what happened in Romans 1, beginning in verse 18, on until the end of the chapter?

Why would you say such a thing?
Men's hearts fail from fear, just as the scripture implies. There is nothing symbolic in that.
Please try to refrain from such rhetoric. Thank you.

I'll put my two cents in. I think he's just being sarcastic because Preterists see everything or most everything as having happened already, and I too, find that a little irritating when it all seems so plain to me. So, when the scriptures say something like this (failing for fear), it seems the only way around that is to interpret things historically or symbolically. In that case, one can make the bible say anything they want. Understandably, the bible is sometimes symbolic, but the symbolism still portrays a very real event. I, too, think this is all coming yet, namely, the Day of the Lord.

How about the Wrath of the Lamb, during the judgement of the Flood mankind only survived as long as they could tread water, but during the 7 years of the Tribulation we read there will be a time when mankind will want to die, but can't, personally what I think is those that haven't died because of the Judgements God keeps alive to have people living during the Kingdom Reign, or also people that will finally turn to Jesus and of course His chosen people Israel.
Blessings

I thought maybe people wouldn't be able to die because they took the mark of the beast and it messed with their genetic code- so not only are they unable to die, but they are no longer fully human, thus not able to receive God's gift of forgiveness. Plus they may want to die in the first place because if their genetic code is messed with, they may become physical abominations. Like a human-animal hybrid or something like that.

Gary, did you read Romans 1:8, and following? If you did, you know what I mean.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back