Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How to handle the apparently misogynistic passages such as 1 Timothy 2:8-15?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
1 Timothy 2:8-15 (NKJV) reads:

I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

There're many challenging and controversial passages in the bible, this one is at the top of the list as it was written in such strong language against women and thus it had earned a bad reputation for the whole church for being misogunistic. On face value, it bars women from church leadership with no wiggle room, on top of that it also restricts women with a repressive dress code and affirms the traditional gender roles, that men are born as leaders, women are mere "helpers" for house chores and childrearing. The worst part is the reference from Gen. 2 and 3 as a theological reasoning for this instruction, that women are not only physically inferior, as Eve was created second from Adam, but also intelletually inferior, as Eve was gullible and deceived while Adam was not, despite the fact that Adam was held accountable by God for the fall, and today women vastly outnumber men in college, in some places it's as high as two women per man.

This section is not an isolated case, there're many similar instructions in Paul's letters that corroborate this message with a negative image of women that are hurtful to take in:

But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. (1 Cor. 11:3)
Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. (1 Cor. 14:34-35)
And besides they (younger widows, applicable to modern single women) learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not. Therefore I desire that the younger widows marry, bear children, manage the house, give no opportunity to the adversary to speak reproachfully. (1 Tim. 5:13-14)
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Eph. 5:22-24. Timothy was in charge of the Ephesian church at the time).

In the Pauline epistles, he commended Pheobe with whom he entrusted the Romans epistle; he greeted Priscilla and Aquilla who risked their lives for Paul; he addressed one church as "Chloe's household"; and back in Acts he was sponsored by Lydia of Phillipi, a seller of purple. If Paul were an authoritative chauvinist as you think he was judging by these statements, he would've betrayed all of these sisters in Christ.

This makes me wonder if we have a flawed understanding of the principle "Sola Scriptura". It's never supposed to indicate that "the bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it". We need external sources about the the cultural and historic context to get a grip on Paul's true intention with these passages. We need to zoom out to see the bigger picture, to catch the grand narrative of the bible, and critical feature in this grand narrative is POLEMIC - a strong rebuke or refutation against an established idea, practice, opinion or belief. Polemic is very common throughout the whole bible, the creation account, the garden and the flood narrative were all polemics agaisnt Sumerian mythology, the Sermon on the Mount was a polemic against the Pharisees' tradition and teaching at the time, and so were the Pauline epistles. He gave these instructions as a response to specific situations at the time, in my knowledge, such situations include: some women dressed in fancy Roman fashion and caused distraction, hence the dress code; some women spoke out of order and disrupted church service, hence the silence part; some were spreading rumors, hence the critique on gossiping - you shall not bear false witness agaisnt your neighbor! Some thought they'd better go to a nunnery to serve the Lord, this is the exact same impression the disciples got at the teaching about marraige and divorce: "If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry." Paul told them no, don't abandon your prospect of a secular life just it's "secular". Also, the cultural norm in England at the time also played a part in the KJV translation.

In a recent conversation with a member on this forum, I was told to read the bible as God's personal word and divine revelation to me without weaponizing the text for any ulterior motive. That's a sound advice to me, but if this was to a lady, how would she feel when she reads these passages? If she was sexually abused, how would she feel? In a worse case, what about a woman was sexually abused by a church clergyman who uses these passages to justify his abuse?

Is the current view that men and women are identical correct?
Are there gender specific roles?
Should we always subject the bible to interpretation by current ideas?

How should a woman feel about how the bible identifies gender roles?
There is only one answer we all men and women believe and obey the bible, even when it hurts or disadvantages us.

How do we deal with abuse by those in authority?
We all have to confront it.

A man or a woman who rejoices in Jesus' Resurrection Life now on earth, conforming not to the world, but
coming "out of her" to avoid the condemnation of the world,
will not have any issue in truth nor in Jesus with believing Jesus' Word , God Willing.
The issues are raised artificially by the world and all the distractions of the world, and unbelief.

A man or a woman who rejoices in Jesus' Resurrection Life now on earth, conforming not to the world, but
coming "out of her" to avoid the condemnation of the world,
will not have any issue in truth nor in Jesus with believing Jesus' Word , God Willing.
The issues are raised artificially by the world and all the distractions of the world, and unbelief.
This one is raised from the bible, it's not a distraction of the world, and it has cost deep division in the body of Christ over the centuries. If all Scripture is inspired by God, then it has to be dealt with.

1 Timothy 2:8-15 (NKJV) reads:

I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

There're many challenging and controversial passages in the bible, this one is at the top of the list as it was written in such strong language against women and thus it had earned a bad reputation for the whole church for being misogunistic. On face value, it bars women from church leadership with no wiggle room, on top of that it also restricts women with a repressive dress code and affirms the traditional gender roles, that men are born as leaders, women are mere "helpers" for house chores and childrearing. The worst part is the reference from Gen. 2 and 3 as a theological reasoning for this instruction, that women are not only physically inferior, as Eve was created second from Adam, but also intelletually inferior, as Eve was gullible and deceived while Adam was not, despite the fact that Adam was held accountable by God for the fall, and today women vastly outnumber men in college, in some places it's as high as two women per man.

This section is not an isolated case, there're many similar instructions in Paul's letters that corroborate this message with a negative image of women that are hurtful to take in:

But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. (1 Cor. 11:3)
Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. (1 Cor. 14:34-35)
And besides they (younger widows, applicable to modern single women) learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not. Therefore I desire that the younger widows marry, bear children, manage the house, give no opportunity to the adversary to speak reproachfully. (1 Tim. 5:13-14)
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Eph. 5:22-24. Timothy was in charge of the Ephesian church at the time).

In the Pauline epistles, he commended Pheobe with whom he entrusted the Romans epistle; he greeted Priscilla and Aquilla who risked their lives for Paul; he addressed one church as "Chloe's household"; and back in Acts he was sponsored by Lydia of Phillipi, a seller of purple. If Paul were an authoritative chauvinist as you think he was judging by these statements, he would've betrayed all of these sisters in Christ.

This makes me wonder if we have a flawed understanding of the principle "Sola Scriptura". It's never supposed to indicate that "the bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it". We need external sources about the the cultural and historic context to get a grip on Paul's true intention with these passages. We need to zoom out to see the bigger picture, to catch the grand narrative of the bible, and critical feature in this grand narrative is POLEMIC - a strong rebuke or refutation against an established idea, practice, opinion or belief. Polemic is very common throughout the whole bible, the creation account, the garden and the flood narrative were all polemics agaisnt Sumerian mythology, the Sermon on the Mount was a polemic against the Pharisees' tradition and teaching at the time, and so were the Pauline epistles. He gave these instructions as a response to specific situations at the time, in my knowledge, such situations include: some women dressed in fancy Roman fashion and caused distraction, hence the dress code; some women spoke out of order and disrupted church service, hence the silence part; some were spreading rumors, hence the critique on gossiping - you shall not bear false witness agaisnt your neighbor! Some thought they'd better go to a nunnery to serve the Lord, this is the exact same impression the disciples got at the teaching about marraige and divorce: "If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry." Paul told them no, don't abandon your prospect of a secular life just it's "secular". Also, the cultural norm in England at the time also played a part in the KJV translation.

In a recent conversation with a member on this forum, I was told to read the bible as God's personal word and divine revelation to me without weaponizing the text for any ulterior motive. That's a sound advice to me, but if this was to a lady, how would she feel when she reads these passages? If she was sexually abused, how would she feel? In a worse case, what about a woman was sexually abused by a church clergyman who uses these passages to justify his abuse?
Hello Carry-_Your_Name
In marriage Paul is teaching how how men represent Christ, Christ is the head of the man,

the head of every man is Christ. 1Cor.11:3
( Uncover, expose, Christ.)

the head of the woman is the man;
(Do not uncover, expose your impertect husband who represents Christ to riducule.)

Both husband and wife are only symbolic of Christ and his bride before our first Parents transgressed,

This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Eph.5:32

Men and women together are really the church,

Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
1Cor.11:11-12

Nutshell: Christ is One God, men & women one body in him.

Hello Carry-_Your_Name
In marriage Paul is teaching how how men represent Christ, Christ is the head of the man,

the head of every man is Christ. 1Cor.11:3
( Uncover, expose, Christ.)

the head of the woman is the man;
(Do not uncover, expose your impertect husband who represents Christ to riducule.)

Both husband and wife are only symbolic of Christ and his bride before our first Parents transgressed,

This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Eph.5:32

Men and women together are really the church,

Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
1Cor.11:11-12

Nutshell: Christ is One God, men & women one body in him.
I'm not questioning the theology that Christ is the head, and I understand men and women ought to equally rejoice in Christ and partake in his commuion, but these particular instructions in the passages I asked about seem to suggest otherwise. It makes the bible, at least the Pauline epistles, look inconsistent, that in some places men and women are equal as one body in Christ; in other places women ought to be silent in church and submissive to men. In Rom. 16:1-2 sister Pheobe was credited as the deacon of Cenchreae to deliver the Roman letter; then in 1 Tim. 2:12-14, women are prohibited to teach or speak.

A time for everything, as written in the Creator's Word, as He Says, and He Knows Best and Perfectly.

The understanding when given is a gift from Him, and also is perfect as He perfectly knows.

I'm not questioning the theology that Christ is the head, and I understand men and women ought to equally rejoice in Christ and partake in his commuion, but these particular instructions in the passages I asked about seem to suggest otherwise. It makes the bible, at least the Pauline epistles, look inconsistent, that in some places men and women are equal as one body in Christ; in other places women ought to be silent in church and submissive to men. In Rom. 16:1-2 sister Pheobe was credited as the deacon of Cenchreae to deliver the Roman letter; then in 1 Tim. 2:12-14, women are prohibited to teach or speak.
Carry_Your_Name
I hear you. Paul is speaking of Adam (Christ) and Eve (His Church) in ParadiseThey didnt know the law until their eyes were opened. They were "naked and not ashamed" like children are.
When Eve (we the church) was deceived, it was as an innocent child who didn't fully unserstand that any adversary of God is a liar. We transgressed what our Father told us. God told us that we would have greater "pain in child bearing", meaning greater suffering in winning souls for Christ,

Moms role:
My little children, of whomI travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you, Gal.4:19

God commanded them (us ) to be fruitful which isnt possible without faithfulness,

the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, Jn.15:4

Adam tilling the ground with thorns and thistles is the same message except using the ground,

dads role:
ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
Adam was told the same thing with respect to Christ. 1Cor.4:15

Paul means we should all be submissive to Christ. although are for parents truly lived it's a story within a story a parable about the gospel.

Carry_Your_Name
I hear you. Paul is speaking of Adam (Christ) and Eve (His Church) in ParadiseThey didnt know the law until their eyes were opened. They were "naked and not ashamed" like children are.
When Eve (we the church) was deceived, it was as an innocent child who didn't fully unserstand that any adversary of God is a liar. We transgressed what our Father told us. God told us that we would have greater "pain in child bearing", meaning greater suffering in winning souls for Christ,

Moms role:
My little children, of whomI travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you, Gal.4:19

God commanded them (us ) to be fruitful which isnt possible without faithfulness,

the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, Jn.15:4

Adam tilling the ground with thorns and thistles is the same message except using the ground,

dads role:
ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
Adam was told the same thing with respect to Christ. 1Cor.4:15

Paul means we should all be submissive to Christ. although are for parents truly lived it's a story within a story a parable about the gospel.
I agree with this assessment, indeed Christ is the groom and the last Adam, the church is the bride and the last Eve, but I doubt if this fits the context of 1 Tim. 2 - or 1 Cor. 14.

I agree with this assessment, indeed Christ is the groom and the last Adam, the church is the bride and the last Eve, but I doubt if this fits the context of 1 Tim. 2 - or 1 Cor. 14.
They fit perfectly, because you're looking at those passages as I once did.....for decades. I was indoctrinated with heresy and I didn't know it.

In 1 Tim 2, Paul is in saying no women (no Eve, no member of the church) can Usurp authority over Christ ( the man, her husband.)

In Gen.1 ends with the man and woman in paradise living without shame,

And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. Gen.2:25
NKJV

Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. Gen.3:1

Gen.3 continues to shows how God finished his work in Christ,

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Heb.4:4-5

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Gen.2:24
NKJV

Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division. Lk12:51NKJV

He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me.NKJV

Our Lord doesn't mean hate your mom and dad. He saying he came for His church,

and they said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are outside seeking You.” But He answered them, saying, “Who is My mother, or My brothers?” And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! Mk.3::32-34 NKJV

This is how our Father in Heaven ordained it from the beginning,

Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. Gen.2:1

Gen. 3 shows how the first Adam failed, but the second Adam prevailed,

For he (Christ Who is God) hath put all things under his (Adams'feet.) But when he (Christ Who is God ) saith all things are put under him (Adam), it is manifest that he Christt Who is God) is excepted, which did put all things under him. 1Cor.15:27

God put all things under man has a double meaning. One speaks of Adam. One speaks of Christ. The context of first Corinthians 15 is the resurrection, when we are all changed,

And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all inall.

So when we are all glorified, Jesus will be revealed as our God.

Paul was speaking in spiritual terms. He was not to meaning women. He was telling us to live by the symbolic meaning of scripture,

But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God. 1Cor.11:16

Rapidly expanding thread.

Everyone might consider the numerous Greek words for Female. Of which I am ignorant.
Girl
Lady
Woman
Wife
Virgin
Widow
etc.

To lump every female under one name, might not be correct.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

In 1 Tim 2, Paul is in saying no women (no Eve, no member of the church) can Usurp authority over Christ ( the man, her husband.)
If this is the case, then there’s a hidden layer in Gen. 3:16, God’s judgement for Eve where it says that not only will she bear children in pain, but “your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.” This is most likely an inaccurate translation, what it really means is, “you shall be for your husband’s position of leadership and authority,” in other words, rebellion. We’ve seen this fulfilled in modern day feminist movement, but spiritually, the apostate church is usurping Christ’s authority, they’ve made worship all about themselves instead of Christ. But in the end, Christ will return and reign.

If this is the case, then there’s a hidden layer in Gen. 3:16, God’s judgement for Eve where it says that not only will she bear children in pain, but “your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.” This is most likely an inaccurate translation, what it really means is, “you shall be for your husband’s position of leadership and authority,” in other words, rebellion.
Oh my friend it means the exact opposite. God does not mean a human husband ruling over you. He's speaking of our lives in Christ. He saying the church will submit herself to Christ.

I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 2Cor.11:2

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts ishis name Isa.54:5
We’ve seen this fulfilled in modern day feminist movement, but spiritually, the apostate church is usurping Christ’s authority, they’ve made worship all about themselves instead of Christ.
No. The rebellious woman is the harlot, mystery Babylon and we're sitting in the middle of it right now.
But in the end, Christ will return and reign.
Why do people think Jesus wasn't reigning over sinners when He first apoeared on earth? Because the unsaved see "power" only in terms of enforcing judgement against evil doers.
Except for believers who [ b]understand God showing mercy to sinners on this planet[/b] does not mean he isn't reigning over us.
Brother, do you know that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ created mankind?

Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jn.19:10

Pilate had it backwards.

Oh my friend it means the exact opposite. God does not mean a human husband ruling over you. He's speaking of our lives in Christ. He saying the church will submit herself to Christ.
Then why in the end, among the seven churches, only two truly submit to Christ, the other five fail?

Then why in the end, among the seven churches, only two truly submit to Christ, the other five fail?
They don't fail. Every congregation has within it both believers and know who really loves the Lord and who doesn't but he does and for those members who don't he says,

Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the sevengolden candlesticks.....repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
Rev.2:1

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest inmy right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Rev.1:20

He's saying sinners who haven't truly repented, who haven't Him are not members of His church.

Hey bro,
God is speaking to the whole congregation, but He is speaking to all of us individually. This is why Paul instructed the church to handle Bible interpretation by letting members speak. They had church leaders, but anyone was permitted to speak because how well educated someone was was insignificant to them. God speaks to people who love him,
Thou hast a few names even in Sardis
which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white:for they are worthy. Rev.3.4

This is why Paul instructed the church to handle Bible interpretation by letting members speak.
Where does Paul gives this instruction?

They had church leaders, but anyone was permitted to speak because how well educated someone was was insignificant to them.
Where in the NT does it say that anyone was permitted to speak? Is there a certain way in which they were permitted to speak?

Hey bro,
God is speaking to the whole congregation, but He is speaking to all of us individually. This is why Paul instructed the church to handle Bible interpretation by letting members speak. They had church leaders, but anyone was permitted to speak because how well educated someone was was insignificant to them. God speaks to people who love him,
Thou hast a few names even in Sardis
which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white:for they are worthy. Rev.3.4
"This gospel will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come," Matt. 24:14. The bible interprets itself, what members do is bear witness and testify of Christ, that's what makes the word of God alive and active.

Where does Paul gives this instruction?

Where in the NT does it say that anyone was permitted to speak? Is there a certain way in which they were permitted to speak?
Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace as in all churches of the saints. 1Cor.14:29-33

Do you understand that if anyone in church stood up and said "Thus saith the Lord", any church member who differed in opinion could speak in turn, so that the Holy Spirit in them should agree. Yes?

"This gospel will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come," Matt. 24:14. The bible interprets itself, what members do is bear witness and testify of Christ, that's what makes the word of God alive and active.
As long as what you mean is the members are bearing witness to Christ because they're suffering in a way he did I agree,

From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the LordJesus. Gal.6:17

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren Rom.8:29

Yea, for thy sake are we killed all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter. Psa.44:22

Back