Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Being Against Tatoos the Law?

Should Christians Have Tatoos?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pontius Pilate (I wash my hands)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It's not the Baptist thing to do!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church of the Enlightened Path does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
farouk, nothing new. I see them too in my city , I saw just a few Thursday and Friday. im on the barrier island till Tuesday of next week reading. you wouldn't want to see these elderly women In the nude with that tats. some are young but most of those look like biker chicks that won the lotto and still ride the hog too.

jasoncran: Yes well my comment was in relation to your lady acquaintance about whom you said she wants to stay young. If I have time I might dig up the quote I referred to.

Blessings.

Last edited:
uhm, that wasn't a compliment about her. I will be blunt. she is 43, she dates a man who was younger then I was when I met my wife. im not nor was I against dating older women. I would be a hypocrite if I did. the context I said twas that she was living the old worldly life of partying, she doesn't drink anymore as she told me that. she was a drunkard. she has children and divorced, while I do talk to her. she would be most dislike by my wife. my wife would see that she is a marriage destroyer. some women know a man is married and just don't care and will cheat anyway. she comes across to me as that. its sublte enough that even I as a man can see that, if I can see that my wife surely would. trust me on this I know I have had women flirt with me and my wife tell me about it. I wasn't being rude nor instigating a flirt with them. but she says women will flirt back if they see the chance even not iniated.its kinda how I met my wife.

uhm, that wasn't a compliment about her. I will be blunt. she is 43, she dates a man who was younger then I was when I met my wife. im not nor was I against dating older women. I would be a hypocrite if I did. the context I said twas that she was living the old worldly life of partying, she doesn't drink anymore as she told me that. she was a drunkard. she has children and divorced, while I do talk to her. she would be most dislike by my wife. my wife would see that she is a marriage destroyer. some women know a man is married and just don't care and will cheat anyway. she comes across to me as that. its sublte enough that even I as a man can see that, if I can see that my wife surely would. trust me on this I know I have had women flirt with me and my wife tell me about it. I wasn't being rude nor instigating a flirt with them. but she says women will flirt back if they see the chance even not iniated.its kinda how I met my wife.

Yes, well I guess the circumstances you describe are a far cry indeed from the earnest Christian women (and men, too) who might feel they want to have a Christian fish sign tattooed on their wrists, etc., for witness purposes. I guess there is a huge range of folk out there, and a huge range of categories of tattoos...

Blessings.

most of those look like biker chicks that won the lotto and still ride the hog too.

jasoncran: Interesting...

Actually ladies riding bikes these days: when a group of leathered women on Harleys arrive at an Interstate Cracker Barrel, it's possibly a group of pastors' and deacons' wives out for a ladies' getway (and some of these, too, probably have tattoos.)

Blessings.

Hey, I don't think she's been on in awhile. I give her the news, tell funny things like people having face tattoo nightmares. I think she's thought about it, let me ask. Well, that took awhile, she thought about it again and she said, maybe.

Hey, I don't think she's been on in awhile. I give her the news, tell funny things like people having face tattoo nightmares. I think she's thought about it, let me ask. Well, that took awhile, she thought about it again and she said, maybe.

Deborah13: Well, say hi to Lexy.

So she's maybe planning a tattoo?

Blessings.

I don't think she's planning any. She had to think about it again, if she'd even get one, when I asked her. Besides she doesn't have money to spend on that kind of thing right now.
If Jake keeps growing the way he does it will be a long while maybe before she does.

Last edited:
I don't think she's planning any. She had to think about it again, if she'd even get one, when I asked her. Besides she doesn't have money to spend on that kind of thing right now.

Hmm, sounds like mom may have tried to dissuade her... :)

Blessings.

Fact is, in some families the practice of getting tattoos has become so firmly established. Some parents even think that for their children eventually not to get them would almost be rebelling against the norm!

Jessica Elston said:
I’m a tattooed mom, and my husband is a tattooed dad. .. I sometimes joke that our children will rebel against us by being totally straight-edge and going to medical school!

Yvonne V Wagner said:
50 years old mother of 3 grandmother of 4, pierced and tattooed and plan on getting more
icon_smile.gif

source: babble dot com

I'm not saying, go get a tattoo. But when Christian young people and others talk about getting faith based tattoos, it's good just to remember just how well established and widespread the practice is, as a background to their wish.

Blessings.

This thread seems to be focusing on the poll rather than the OP.
The question here is if Christians are against tatoos because it is the Law, then is it legalism or legitimate NT practice?
I think this question was answered way back when and it was never discussed very much in detail.
For that matter, I think the answers to the OP are still out there.

The question here is if Christians are against tatoos because it is the Law, then is it legalism or legitimate NT practice?
I think this question was answered way back when and it was never discussed very much in detail.

Hi allenwynne; could you clarify your point a bit, please?

Blessings.

I love tattoos and I am getting one soon. And just because I do it will not keep me out of heaven. And if that were the case me shaving which I do' would keep me out of heaven too.

Jethro:
What I think you're almost demanding that I say, is that no one should.

Blessings.

Very perceptive of you. But I've not heard this from you, or even a hint of it. Instead what I hear is a staunch defense of the practice.

Several members have spoken (Jethro included) to address the larger issues. Perhaps there should be a walk through of BOTH SIDES of the issue. Something that attempts to report in an unbiased (non-persuasive) manner. It could start by one side (proponent or opponent) saying, "What I hear you saying is..." followed by a summary statement of the other side of the issue. OWL (Online Writing Lab) from Purdue University gives free lessons: Quoting, Paraphrasing & Summarizing. We are entering into a much larger conversation here and it's perfectly acceptable to offer occasional well written summary statements.

That would be something of note, especially if it was done in a humble spirit, right?

Cordially,
Sparrowhawke

Thanks, allenwynne. I'd like to see the thread get back to it's original intent too. This is Post #432, right? It's posted in General Talk though, what can we do?

Cordially,
Sparrowhawke

My response to the general question about this practice considers the concept of avoiding even the appearance of evil. Now, before there is objection regarding the word 'evil' --and the associated concept of evil-doers-- let me assure you; it's a valid thought:

Paraphrase: "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more so shall your Heavenly Father give bread (and not a stone) to His children?"

Cordially yours,
Sparrowhawke

I love tattoos and I am getting one soon. And just because I do it will not keep me out of heaven. And if that were the case me shaving which I do' would keep me out of heaven too.
Please, for the sake of the kingdom, do not get a 'Christian' tattoo.

Do not bring Christ and the faith down into the worldliness of arrogance, image, and sensuality that tattooing still represents in the world today.

That's the bottom line about all this for me. Tattooing is a worldly practice done for worldly reasons. Please don't identify Christ and his people and his kingdom with this ungodly practice. Turn on M-TV and see that we are supposed to be everything that tattooing does NOT represent.

And in regard to the shaving...

Whatever it was among the pagans about hair cutting that God did not want the Isrealites identifying themselves with and bringing into their worship of the true God has been lost to history. IOW, the intent served by the prohibition against whatever cutting of the hair Moses was talking about is unknown and unrecognizable and unpracticed in the world today. Therefore, it's impossible that doing that somehow serves the agenda of a false god and brings reproach on the people and kingdom of God, or risks polluting it with the worship of pagan ideas that are incompatible with the worship of God. But until tattooing becomes like the cutting of the hair prohibited in the law (in a fashion and for a purpose no one knows what Moses was talking about anymore), tattooing should be 'taboo' for the faithful servant of God. But if you must do it, please don't do it in a way that connects it with Christ and the kingdom.

This is tricky because most people don't understand what 'legalism' is.

Obedience is not legalism. The reason you obey God is what determines if your obedience is 'legalistic' or not.

'Do not murder' is in the law. Am I categorically and without exception a legalist for wanting to uphold that command? Of course not. You have to know my motivation and reasoning for not wanting to murder to know if my dedication to that command is legalism or not.

I've shared my motivation and reasoning for believing that tattooing is forbidden for the servant of God. And it has little to do with the fact that, in and of itself, the law says to not do it. It has everything to do with why the law says not to it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back