Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God will not convict believers of sin!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
talk about a misunderstanding. god deals us as kids, not as bastard and treats us as a father would. did your dad hate you when he punished you and disowned you? no he chastised you, and you hopefully learned. with a sinner he must be convince of sin first to be a Christian. note: this poster isn't a believer in eternal security.

What that verse says is this "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. When a Christian is controlled by "the flesh" there is definitely conviction of sin, and furthermore, if believers do not repent, there are serious consequences. But you need to find this out for yourself from Scripture. Until then do not mislead Christians.
Well, I'm not talking about how you've possibly chosen to "walk"; I'm talking about most Christians, who don't consider ways to get away with things.

I'm guessing this means that if we love God with all our Heart, all our Mind, and all our Power, but (unintentionally) screw up from time to time, He's not going to hold it against us because He knows our hearts are set on him. Do I got it right?
I really can't think of a time I've sinned other than an outburst of anger, or other such work of the flesh I haven't learned to overcome that wasn't intentional, and I'd sure hate to suffer the consequence for every failure of me. For the Christian there is the sin unto death just as Moses was told to go die because of unbelief.
Num 20:12 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.
1 Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Deut 32:50 And die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people:
Deut 32:51 Because ye trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel.

Last edited:
Since you say "maybe" it would be futile to discuss this any further. Had you taken the time to study this incident, you would have noted that this couple was a part of "their own company" (Acts 4:23), that this group of Christians "were all filled with the Holy Ghost" (Acts 4:31), that "they were all of one heart and one soul" (Acts 4:32), and "great grace was upon them all" (Acts 4:33). If in spite of this overwhelming evidence that Ananias and Sapphira were genuine Christians you are prepared to question that the Holy Spirit was within them, then of course we can always manipulate Scripture to mean whatever we wish. And that's what this thread is about anyhow.
Malachi,
Even though you present many truths, such as this one, I will only read your posts, to me or anyone else, up to the point to where you make remarks such as, "had you taken the time", "which Bible are you reading", "if you really studied the scriptures", etc., etc.,. My suggestion to you is if you want to be taken seriously by me, that you learn to speak to others graciously.

OK...

...Baby Christian (2 years in, baby!), so I'm a little confused. I thought unbelievers were convicted of their sins and then got saved, at which point God might discipline the believer (maybe because of sin, maybe because its His will), but sins were forgiven and sanctification began as the believer made gradual progress towards godliness.

In my own life, I don't feel convicted of sin so much as I feel that God is gradually giving me "a heart of flesh, not of stone." But that's just me...

OK...

...Baby Christian (2 years in, baby!), so I'm a little confused. I thought unbelievers were convicted of their sins and then got saved, at which point God might discipline the believer (maybe because of sin, maybe because its His will), but sins were forgiven and sanctification began as the believer made gradual progress towards godliness.

In my own life, I don't feel convicted of sin so much as I feel that God is gradually giving me "a heart of flesh, not of stone." But that's just me...
You've got it exactly right. Guilt and shame are the devil's tools that he wants us to experience, thinking God is convicting (condemning) us.

What that verse says is this "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. When a Christian is controlled by "the flesh" there is definitely conviction of sin, and furthermore, if believers do not repent, there are serious consequences. But you need to find this out for yourself from Scripture. Until then do not mislead Christians.

Conviction as in Feeling Guilty is not the Holy Spirit. There is a whole lot the bible speaks about Conscience though, and your conscience is based on revelation given.
If we violate our conscience, we will condemn ourselves, because it's our "OWN" conscience we violated. Some conscience can eat meat sacrificed to Idols. Idols are nothing, but to some they still had some form of power.

Malachi,
Even though you present many truths, such as this one, I will only read your posts, to me or anyone else, up to the point to where you make remarks such as, "had you taken the time", "which Bible are you reading", "if you really studied the scriptures", etc., etc.,. My suggestion to you is if you want to be taken seriously by me, that you learn to speak to others graciously.

The were believers, and lied to the Holy Spirit. You can't voilate revelation given and expect things to end well. The believers in acts saw the power of God every day and at that level, Satan had a right to kill them once they stepped out in his territory.

talk about a misunderstanding. god deals us as kids, not as bastard and treats us as a father would. did your dad hate you when he punished you and disowned you? no he chastised you, and you hopefully learned. with a sinner he must be convince of sin first to be a Christian. note: this poster isn't a believer in eternal security.

The Word Chastise means to instruct in Word, or instruct in scripture. It's not condemnation or conviction.

Phi 3:15 kjva Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

If you step out in sin, and know it, you violate your own conscience. It's your own conscience that condemns you. God does not convict or condemn you.

If your not perfect minded in something, God will reveal this to you so you can change it. It's not a conviction, but a fact you make adjustments with.

Paul said we are to JUDGE OURSELVES so we don't get judged. That is not God convicting you, that is us taking stock of ourselves and making the changes. If God Reminds us of something, we make the changes right away.

Any unwillful sin is not a heart issue, God gently reminds us and gets information to us to do things better.

Any sin we do and know it's wrong is our own conscience and heart. Our own heart condemns us, not God, Not the Holy Spirit.

I'm not the sharpest tack in this bulletin board, but is the summary of this thread "as believers we are not convicted of sin, we are convinced of sin"?

I'm not the sharpest tack in this bulletin board, but is the summary of this thread "as believers we are not convicted of sin, we are convinced of sin"?
Well, actually, by scripture, we are convinced of righteousness... and thus, our need to try and act like that, rather than being depressed and ashamed that we are not perfect.

Well, actually, by scripture, we are convinced of righteousness... and thus, our need to try and act like that, rather than being depressed and ashamed that we are not perfect.
But what about the sin. Are we convicted about sin, or are we convinced about sin?

You've got it exactly right. Guilt and shame are the devil's tools that he wants us to experience, thinking God is convicting (condemning) us.
I don't feel guilt or shame when God convicts me, He does it in a loving and kind way. He doesn't want us to remain where we are, He wants us to grow and mature. If we are not aware of that which hinders our growth, then how do we grow and mature? He is a loving Father who wants to have a relationship with us and sin separates us and hinders it.

I want God to convict me of my sins so that I can stop doing them. If I am arrogant, I don't want to be that way and who else to tell us than a loving Father.

Conviction also means discipline and God disciplines those He loves.

But what about the sin. Are we convicted about sin, or are we convinced about sin?
(example) I did something wrong once... I gave a kid some pills I had (prescription, not street drug stuff). He got caught with them, and the school nurse talked to me. She explained that, while the pills weren't bad, this kid happened to be suicidal (I didn't know), and he was collecting anything he could get his hands on. She made me realize that I was in a better frame of mind than him, and that it was sort of my responsibility to watch out for him.

She COULD have berated me for the stupidity of what I did, (convicted me of a sinful act), but she didn't. She convinced me of the responsibility I had since I didn't have the emotional problems he was battling. As a result, I sort of became his guardian angel for the rest of the school year.

My wife has done this same thing with troublemakers in her classes. She convinces them of their leadership qualities, gives them responsibilities and encouragement instead of punishment, and very often turns them into model students.

Last edited:

The Holy Spirit does not convict. If your convinced what you did is sin, the According to John it's your own heart that condemns you, not God.

I don't feel guilt or shame when God convicts me, He does it in a loving and kind way. He doesn't want us to remain where we are, He wants us to grow and mature. If we are not aware of that which hinders our growth, then how do we grow and mature? He is a loving Father who wants to have a relationship with us and sin separates us and hinders it.

I want God to convict me of my sins so that I can stop doing them. If I am arrogant, I don't want to be that way and who else to tell us than a loving Father.

Conviction also means discipline and God disciplines those He loves.

If God convicted you of your sins, then you would need to be put to death. You need to seperate carnal feelings of flesh, from Spirit and scripture. Your mixing them up.

If I say Hey you just ruined my engine by putting DEF in my desiel tank. You can't put put that in there. Remember to check first. DEF only goes in the special tank in front. Desiel goes in the two big tanks on the side here.

That is how God would correct, He would just tell you. You probably don't even know what DEF is, and might confuse the two as the pumps are normally next to each other.

Now, if you looked both ways to make sure nobody saw you and you took someone's wallet, then later felt really bad about it........... That is Not God correcting you, that is your own conscience and heart condemning you.

God does not need to correct that. You already knew it was wrong and hence God won't say a thing.

Once again I will repeat myself since nobody reads all the post.

Chastise in the Greek means to instruct in the Word, as a school child, to give instructions.

I will most likely have to repeat that again a few pages from now.

The Holy Spirit does not convict. If your convinced what you did is sin, the According to John it's your own heart that condemns you, not God.

If God convicted you of your sins, then you would need to be put to death. You need to seperate carnal feelings of flesh, from Spirit and scripture. Your mixing them up.

If I say Hey you just ruined my engine by putting DEF in my desiel tank. You can't put put that in there. Remember to check first. DEF only goes in the special tank in front. Desiel goes in the two big tanks on the side here.

That is how God would correct, He would just tell you. You probably don't even know what DEF is, and might confuse the two as the pumps are normally next to each other.

Now, if you looked both ways to make sure nobody saw you and you took someone's wallet, then later felt really bad about it........... That is Not God correcting you, that is your own conscience and heart condemning you.

God does not need to correct that. You already knew it was wrong and hence God won't say a thing.

Once again I will repeat myself since nobody reads all the post.

Chastise in the Greek means to instruct in the Word, as a school child, to give instructions.

I will most likely have to repeat that again a few pages from now.
We have sin that we are not aware of. Pride, arrogance, etc, we don't know we have it until God reveals it to us. He is a God of revelation.

The conviction of sin has, for hundreds of years, been a very important part of the day-to-day life of believers. It might come as a shock to you, therefore, to find out that the Bible has no record of a believer at any point being convicted of sin. There are only two verses that strongly allude to the conviction of sin (John 8:7, Acts 2:37) and two that outright mention it (John 16:8-11, Jude 1:15), however all four verses refer to those who do not believe in Jesus.

I’d like to propose something to you. The Holy Spirit will never convict you (a believer) of your sins!

Just to clarify, when I say never I mean never.
These words begin a very interesting discussion on the subject.
moy bueno

Where did you hear that Willie?

Jesus said the holy spirit will convict us of sin in..

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

If someone is teaching something other than what is written then it is wrong teaching..

tob
Well said tob.You are so right.

Remember how the bible said to encourage one another..... and to restore a brother with love? It doesn't say to beat others down with accusations and proof of their sinfulness.
Jesus operated the same way....."Neither do I condemn (convict) you..."
.......and so does the Holy Spirit.

Remember how the bible said to encourage one another..... and to restore a brother with love? It doesn't say to beat others down with accusations and proof of their sinfulness.
Jesus operated the same way....."Neither do I condemn (convict) you..."
.......and so does the Holy Spirit.
I don't see how conviction and condemnation are the same thing, I don't believe their definitions are the same.

Condemnation is the judgement. Conviction is the knowledge God gives us to know we did something wrong, as God reveals it. We're not all of a sudden all knowing that if we say something that offends another, then we know it.

What do you call it when God shows a person they are filled with pride about something? Or arrogant about a situation? Serious question, what does a person call this then?

Back