Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God will not convict believers of sin!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I don't see how conviction and condemnation are the same thing, I don't believe their definitions are the same.

Condemnation is the judgement. Conviction is the knowledge God gives us to know we did something wrong, as God reveals it. We're not all of a sudden all knowing that if we say something that offends another, then we know it.

What do you call it when God shows a person they are filled with pride about something? Or arrogant about a situation? Serious question, what does a person call this then?
You did read the article?

Jesse, none of us have to wait for an event referred to as The Judgment, to feel condemnation. We do it to ourselves and others every day. What did you feel just four days (or so) ago, when your generation was put down, right here on this forum? That's CONVICTING someone.

God doesn't treat us that way.

Malachi,
Even though you present many truths, such as this one, I will only read your posts, to me or anyone else, up to the point to where you make remarks such as, "had you taken the time", "which Bible are you reading", "if you really studied the scriptures", etc., etc.,. My suggestion to you is if you want to be taken seriously by me, that you learn to speak to others graciously.
I think that reading the Word of God correctly and not allowing someone to stumble and fall is serious business.

You did read the article?
There's an article?!? :) Seriously, I didn't even see it until now, the OP was written by you or so I thought and then I haven't had time to read what everyone else has written.

In regards to the article because I did just read it, I am troubled when I see in writing how God is always pleased with us because we are the righteousness of Christ. This to me states that no matter what we do, He will always be pleased with us. Even a parent is not always pleased with their child.

Unconditional love doesn't always mean they are always pleased with us.

That's how I see it anyway.

We have sin that we are not aware of. Pride, arrogance, etc, we don't know we have it until God reveals it to us. He is a God of revelation.

That is what God said, Be ye perfect minded, and if we be anything but perfect mined, God will reveal these things to us.

Just when I clean house and If I do, I always make our bed. I also clean the wall behind the trash. Not that I use to but the Lord revealed to me that if I do those things, those are things the wife find important.

There are lots of little things we all need to change that do matter and make big things a lesser big deal.

Heb 12:8 kjva But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Strong's Definition: From G3811; tutorage, that is, education or training ; by implication disciplinary correction: - chastening, chastisement, Instruction, Nuture

2Ti 3:16 kjva All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Eph 4:11-13 kjva 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

There's an article?!? :) Seriously, I didn't even see it until now, the OP was written by you or so I thought and then I haven't had time to read what everyone else has written.

In regards to the article because I did just read it, I am troubled when I see in writing how God is always pleased with us because we are the righteousness of Christ. This to me states that no matter what we do, He will always be pleased with us. Even a parent is not always pleased with their child.

Did you read the section entitled, Identity Crisis?

Mike, what does the reference, PERFECT, mean in the Bible?

Did you read the section entitled, Identity Crisis?
That is what I would call a conviction. God reveals to us what we did wrong and WHO we are conforming to (he did it in this way - he pointed out the anger, and then said who we are to become when he said peace and joy). It is not guilt or shame when God does this, it is actually a blessing, filled with mercy and grace. Like I said in my very first post.

He also doesn't want us to stay there (in an angry or prideful state), He brings us through it, in love, and teaches us along the way so that next time a situation arises - we supernaturally overcome that which caused us to stumble prior. If we continue in the sin, then God disciplines us.

Unconditional kind of means...... uh.... "unconditional". That means no conditions upon His love.
If we're good...... He loves us.
If we're silly........ He loves us.
If we're wrong.... He loves us.
If we're dumb..... He loves us.
If we're bad........ He loves us.

This is not to say He is pleased with everything He sees us doing. Cripes, is there ANYTHING we do that He should be? But, "unconditional" means that there are no requisite conditions of behavior that qualify us for being loved all the time.

Unconditional kind of means...... uh.... "unconditional". That means no conditions upon His love.
If we're good...... He loves us.
If we're silly........ He loves us.
If we're wrong.... He loves us.
If we're dumb..... He loves us.
If we're bad........ He loves us.

This is not to say He is pleased with everything He sees us doing. Cripes, is there ANYTHING we do that He should be? But, "unconditional" means that there are no requisite conditions of behavior that qualify us for being loved all the time.
I agree.

I never saw an article?
Help me understand what your saying Willie T . When we as Christians sin and feel bad that we did it, that feeling comes from within us? Not the Holy Spirit?

(example) I did something wrong once... I gave a kid some pills I had (prescription, not street drug stuff). He got caught with them, and the school nurse talked to me. She explained that, while the pills weren't bad, this kid happened to be suicidal (I didn't know), and he was collecting anything he could get his hands on. She made me realize that I was in a better frame of mind than him, and that it was sort of my responsibility to watch out for him.

She COULD have berated me for the stupidity of what I did, (convicted me of a sinful act), but she didn't. She convinced me of the responsibility I had since I didn't have the emotional problems he was battling. As a result, I sort of became his guardian angel for the rest of the school year.

My wife has done this same thing with troublemakers in her classes. She convinces them of their leadership qualities, gives them responsibilities and encouragement instead of punishment, and very often turns them into model students.
I know this is about connotation, so it's going to be a difficult subject to nail down anyway, so can you now relate this story according to if you knew what you were doing and why, but were doing it anyway, and got caught?

It's sounding like a thread that talks about HOW God convicts us when we do wrong, not that he doesn't convict us. Because when we do wrong—favoritism for example—we are most certainly guilty of doing wrong.

Is this the same Phil Drysdale that says God is not in control of everything?

I know, talk about a controversial title for a blog.

But it’s true.

God is not in control of everything.

And I have irrefutable proof of that.

Were you aware of this Willie?

http://www.phildrysdale.com/

tob

I think that reading the Word of God correctly and not allowing someone to stumble and fall is serious business.
2Ti 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
Jas 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
gentle -
properly affable, that is, mild or kind: - gentle.
appropriate, that is, (by implication) mild: - gentle, moderation, patient.
mercy -
compassion (human or divine, especially active): - (+ tender) mercy.

We can learn a lot by how Paul handled the church at Corinth. It was really up to them how he dealt with them. If they were humble and contrite he would be gentle, but if not then he would come with a rod:

"18 Now some have become arrogant, as though I were not coming to you. 19 But I will come to you soon,if the Lord wills, and I shall find out, not the words of those who are arrogant but their power. 20 For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power. 21 What do you desire? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love and a spirit of gentleness?
1 It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, that someone has his father's wife. 2 You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead"
(1 Corinthians 4:18-21, 5:1-2 NASB)

Here's his advice to the Thessalonians on how to channel conviction of the wrong-doer:

"14 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame." (2 Thessalonians 3:14 NASB)

I see the potential for abuse there, but it's clear that there are factors to be considered in how, and to what extent, we are to let God's conviction work on the wrong-doing saint.

Back