Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should women teach in the church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
i certainly do not accept Joyce Myers as a preacher. she is a teacher just like the lady in the wheel chair joni .
I know we tend to use the word 'preacher' loosely in the church today. But, technically, it means one who heralds/proclaims the good news of the Christ. She doesn't do that as her ministry objective. She is a teacher. And I'm not aware of her claiming to have any kind of pastoral authority. And she makes it a point to recognize and stay under the authority of her husband.

its a matter of how we see things. its not my job to change you nor your job to Change me. when the good Lord show us different. we change.
I'm open to God using you to change my mind that women can be evangelists. Right off the top of my head I can't think of a woman evangelist. I know of women who have evangelized, but I really can't think of a woman who holds and walks in an official office of evangelist.

I really don't understand why anyone objects to women teaching in the church (the subject of the OP). If it is because they interpret Paul's writing a new law then they don't understand being led by the Holy Spirit, who was given to lead us into all truth.

The ability to teach depends on a number of factors: being led by God, having genuine faith, understanding His will, understanding Scripture, being able to clearly communicate, etc. It has nothing to do with one's physical gender.

As I have said before, when Paul wrote that he didn't permit women to teach in church society was entirely different. Women were the property of their husbands and, except for very rare instances, were uneducated. The society was entirely dominated by males. Thankfully, times have changed and today's Western society is diametrically different. Many women are highly educated and are leaders in the sciences, technology, business, education, etc. Ergo, there is no valid reason that women cannot teach in the church (or hold any other church position).

Some men use Paul's writings as a sort of law that is applicable to today's society, but IMHO it is just an excuse to continue the unChristian concept women must be dominated: "put in their place". What is important is that those who are called by God to teach, regardless of gender, should teach -- in the church, in universities, in schools, in the home, everywhere.

Both Adam and Eve were created in the image of God. EQUAL.

(27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
(28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (Gen 1:27-28 KJV)

The way I see it, in the beginning of the Church, the Lord focused on primarily the Jews, and the salvation and equipping of the Jews.

Later He would begin to reach out to the Gentiles, through Peter, who was looked up to as the head Apostle. In using Peter for this work to the Gentiles, it would carry the full weight of authority among the Jews as being valid.

Then later the Lord raised up Paul for this work, even though Paul did indeed go after the Jews in the city where he was sent to raise up churches because if he could get a few Jews saved, he would have some people who already were versed in the scriptures, to leave behind as elders and teachers when he moved on.

Likewise when Paul began to teach the Gentile converts, he wanted to establish some boundaries of authority because the Gentiles were unlearned in the scriptures and the ways of the Lord.

So he choose to have the men be established in the work, which only makes sense, since this was the natural progression of authority in which to establish the Church on a firm foundation for years to come.

Paul wanted to see order in the homes, and order in the church as he was not ignorant of the devils devises; having beguiled Eve, then used Eve to persuade her husband.

IOW, Paul established this rule as a matter of strategy and order, not as dogma to be used to prohibit women from never being used by the Lord for the work of the ministry.

We have seen His mighty power working through many awesome women of God n these last days days:

Marie Woodworth Etter
Aimee Semple McPherson
Kathrun Kuhlman

and many more!

JLB
Wow, those woman were nothing but false teachers.

Written by Moses the Jew, some say, but actually written long after his death.
It doesn't matter if Mickey Mouse wrote it. Paul cites it as the reason women are not to usurp pastoral authority that belongs solely to men called to that office. It's not a cultural or racial issue in any way shape or form. It's a foundational truth established at creation.

I really don't understand why anyone objects to women teaching in the church (the subject of the OP).
Read the passage!

1 Timothy 2:14
14 it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who was deceived and fell into transgression.

Women are simply not going to be a reliable source of authoritative pastoral teaching.

Read the passage!

1 Timothy 2:14
14 it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who was deceived and fell into transgression.

Women are simply not going to be a reliable source of authoritative pastoral teaching.
This is absurd! Do you actually think that a woman who has a PhD from a seminary (or other religious school or department) and is called to be a pastor or teacher cannot be a reliable source of authoritative pastoral teaching?

You are just cooking up some false doctrine to justify male dominance.

P.S. One verse is not a passage.

P.S. One verse is not a passage.
11A womanb must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man;c she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, and then Eve. 14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who was deceived and fell into transgression.

Read it and stop insisting that Paul is wrong!

Last edited:
Do you actually think that a woman who has a PhD from a seminary (or other religious school or department) and is called to be a pastor or teacher cannot be a reliable source of authoritative pastoral teaching?
Yes.

If there's one thing the church needs, even among men called to the office of pastoral authority and teaching is Spirit-filled wisdom and insight into the word of God. Rote learning alone is not what effectiveness in pastoral leadership and teaching is all about. Not even close!

Both Adam and Eve were created in the image of God. EQUAL.

(27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
(28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (Gen 1:27-28 KJV)
XXX Wrong!

"the head of the woman is man" 1 Corinthians 11:3

1 Corinthians 11:7-9
"7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. "

How is that equality????
Man and woman are no more equal in this regard than Christ and man are equal.

Yes.

If there's one thing the church needs, even among men called to the office of pastoral authority and teaching is Spirit-filled wisdom and insight into the word of God. Rote learning alone is not what effectiveness in pastoral leadership and teaching is all about. Not even close!
Okay, I'm done. Your mind is closed so there is no pint in continuing your false male superiority.

1 Timothy 2:9-15, " Likewise the women are to dress[o] in suitable apparel, with modesty and self-control. Their adornment must not be with braided hair and gold or pearls or expensive clothing, but with good deeds, as is proper for women who profess reverence for God. A woman must learn quietly with all submissiveness. But I [no mention of God here!] do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man. She must remain quiet. For Adam was formed first and then Eve. And Adam was not deceived [but he was!!! God gave the command to Adam!], but the woman, because she was fully deceived, fell into transgression But she will be delivered through childbearing, if she continues in faith and love and holiness with self-control."

So according to you, Paul was writing LAW: no braids, no gold, no pearls, no expensive clothing, learn quietly with all submissiveness. (Even though he wrote extensively that the law is spiritual death) He wrote I (no mention of God here!) do not permit... Not everything Paul wrote is a command of God. 1 Corinthians 7:10-12, "To the married I give this command—not I, but the Lord—a wife should not divorce a husband (but if she does, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband), and a husband should not divorce his wife. To the rest I say—I, not the Lord—if a brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is happy to live with him, he should not divorce her."

You are twisting Paul's writings to create a new law that subjugates women. I am leaving this discussion by posting one verse (that you clearly do no understand): "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

Perhaps some day God will open your mind to the truth. Perhaps not.

XXX Wrong!

"the head of the woman is man" 1 Corinthians 11:3

1 Corinthians 11:7-9
"7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. "

How is that equality????
Man and woman are no more equal in this regard than Christ and man are equal.
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back