Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sin hanged on a pole

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
John 3:14
Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,...

Numbers 21:8
The Lord said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.”

Numbers 21:9
So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.
Snakes were not being crucified.
Jesus was.

1 Peter 2:24 kjv
24. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

eddif

It is amazing to me that symbolism escapes so many. We look at political cartoons all our life, and on some level understand what is going on. The cartoons are a way to discuss issues without fighting in the streets.

The parable of the sower.
Mark 4:13 kjv
13. And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

Are we not able to take a context and compare it to some other totally different context and see parallels?

A seed equals the word of God

Sin on a tree/pole will yield health.

Physical body health is a parallel of spiritual health. The same ? No.

If Jesus could heal physical ailments; could there not be a chance the issue of sin could be healed (by Jesus) as well?

Matthew 9:6 kjv
6. But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Yes but brother that sentence has a parenthesis.
PEMDAS.
The Parenthesis is handled first in Mathematics.
But
No But

Joseph of Egypt in prison:
Was there with two other prisoners. One dies the other given his job back.

Jesus on cross/pole was with one restored sinner and one condemned to hell.

Do we not see (in life) parallels?

One little jot different and we void a discussion.

We have the encouragement to be of one mind.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Learn to read English. John 3:16 says: "Just as"

"Just as" means "just like." As in: Moses hung a serpent on a pole.
YOU ARE BREAKING TOS RULES.
PLEASE FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THE TERMS OF SERVICE.

DO NOT MAKE PERSONAL STATEMENTS.
REPLY TO THE TOPIC AND NOT TO THE INDIVIDUAL.

IF THIS CONTINUES YOU WILL BE REMOVED FROM THIS THREAD.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST IN THIS THREAD.

USE TALK WITH STAFF IF NECESSARY.

Learn to read English. John 3:16 says: "Just as"

"Just as" means "just like." As in: Moses hung a serpent on a pole.
The "just as" is being lifted up. John doesn't mention being lifted up on a pole.
Paul tells us "not to go beyond what is written" (1Cor 4:6)

Hi CherubRam

Perhaps it's worth understanding 'how' crucifixion worked. As I understand it, a pole was set in the earth. Not a cross, but a simple pole of wood. Then the person being crucified was nailed to a wooden beam and then the victim and the wooden beam were lifted onto the 'pole' of wood set in the ground. That lifting up of the crossbeam with the victim nailed to it, is what then makes us call the finished arrangement, a cross. But it starts out with just a simple pole set in the earth.

From biblicalarchaeology.org: Literary sources giving insight into the history of crucifixion indicate that Roman crucifixion methods had the condemned person carry to the execution site only the crossbar. Wood was scarce and the vertical pole was kept stationary and used repeatedly.

So yes, according to this description, Jesus was lifted up on a pole exactly like the snakes in the wilderness.

God bless,
Ted

Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,...

Numbers 21:8
The Lord said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.”

Numbers 21:9
So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.
None of those references were from John 3:16.

None of those references were from John 3:16.
Verse 14, not 16.

New International Version​

14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,...

Hi CherubRam

Perhaps it's worth understanding 'how' crucifixion worked. As I understand it, a pole was set in the earth. Not a cross, but a simple pole of wood. Then the person being crucified was nailed to a wooden beam and then the victim and the wooden beam were lifted onto the 'pole' of wood set in the ground. That lifting up of the crossbeam with the victim nailed to it, is what then makes us call the finished arrangement, a cross. But it starts out with just a simple pole set in the earth.

From biblicalarchaeology.org: Literary sources giving insight into the history of crucifixion indicate that Roman crucifixion methods had the condemned person carry to the execution site only the crossbar. Wood was scarce and the vertical pole was kept stationary and used repeatedly.

So yes, according to this description, Jesus was lifted up on a pole exactly like the snakes in the wilderness.

God bless,
Ted
Cherubram agrees with you.
And, of course, this is how it was done.

Verse 14, not 16.

John 3:14​

New International Version​

14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,...
Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Your post I quoted referenced verse 16.

How is Moses putting a snake on a pole a parable?
For thousands of years it has been commonly known that the serpent is a symbol for sin.

Genesis 2:9
The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (sin)

Genesis 2:17
but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,(sin) for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” (Making evil a part of you)

Genesis 3:4
You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman.

Christ was a sin offering.

For thousands of years it has been commonly known that the serpent is a symbol for sin.

Genesis 2:9
The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (sin)

Genesis 2:17
but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,(sin) for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” (Making evil a part of you)

Genesis 3:4
You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman.

Christ was a sin offering.
You don't mean a parable..
You mean that it's an analogy.

Just as the snake had to be LIFTED UP

So did Jesus have to be LIFTED UP.

John 12;32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

You don't mean a parable..
You mean that it's an analogy.

Just as the snake had to be LIFTED UP

So did Jesus have to be LIFTED UP.

John 12;32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
parable like: metaphor, metaphysics, analogy, simile, allegory…..

If you have a concept or precept?……..

By the time you do: who, when, where, why, how much, how many, therefore……

Liturgy, science, literature, spiritual, literal, social, emotional…..,,

Position can be
Elevation, lateral placement, management, governmental…..

I personally let parable fly.

I don’t need a 250 word essay on each slightly differing detail.

Of course being a redneck all them thar words kind of a run together.

LOL

Mississippi redneck.

parable like: metaphor, metaphysics, analogy, simile, allegory…..

If you have a concept or precept?……..

By the time you do: who, when, where, why, how much, how many, therefore……

Liturgy, science, literature, spiritual, literal, social, emotional…..,,

Position can be
Elevation, lateral placement, management, governmental…..

I personally let parable fly.

I don’t need a 250 word essay on each slightly differing detail.

Of course being a redneck all them thar words kind of a run together.

LOL

Mississippi redneck.
PARABLE:

a short, simple story that teaches or explains an idea, especially a moral or religious idea.

ANALOGY:

a comparison between things that have similar features, often used to help explain a principle or idea:

source: Cambridge University Press

Hi Ediff,
I'm not sure what you're saying above,
but there's a difference between a parable and an analogy.

The sin was on the pole/cross from an OT viewpoint, but forgiveness resulted through the gift we learn of in the NT.

There is a tree planted on either side of the river.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Back