Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sin hanged on a pole

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
PARABLE:

a short, simple story that teaches or explains an idea, especially a moral or religious idea.

ANALOGY:

a comparison between things that have similar features, often used to help explain a principle or idea:

source: Cambridge University Press

Hi Ediff,
I'm not sure what you're saying above,
but there's a difference between a parable and an analogy.
I really think some folks spend hours presenting slightly differing meanings. The main idea is looking at the similarity and not the difference.

Keep this OP oriented. How do we do that? Beats me.

eddif

PARABLE:

a short, simple story that teaches or explains an idea, especially a moral or religious idea.
I don’t think:
Matthew 13
Mark 4
Luke 8
Give that definition of why Jesus spoke in parables.

Seeing they see not. The disciples had to ask so they did not get it either.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

I don’t think:
Matthew 13
Mark 4
Luke 8

Mississippi redneck
eddif
HI eddif

Yes, but that's exactly 'why' Jesus spoke in parables. He told them a story about something and expected them to gain an understanding from it. But people with wicked hearts and without the Holy Spirit's indwelling, didn't understand or make the connection between the story and the point that Jesus was making. Now, whether the story that is told is true or fiction doesn't have any bearing on the purpose of a parable. But a parable is not the same thing as an analogy.

God bless,
Ted

I don’t think:
Matthew 13
Mark 4
Luke 8

Mississippi redneck
eddif
There are threads on why Jesus spoke in parables.
It has to be looked into further than just what Jesus told the Apostles.
There are a few reason.

I'm not going to derail this thread.
If you want to, you could start a thread in Theology.

I don’t think:
Matthew 13
Mark 4
Luke 8

Mississippi redneck
eddif
PS
The Apostles got it alright.
They just wanted to know WHY He spoke in parables.

The only part of Jesus ministry that the Apostles did not fully understand was that He had to die and b e resurrected.
This was too far beyond understanding - until they experienced it.

PS
The Apostles got it alright.
They just wanted to know WHY He spoke in parables.

The only part of Jesus ministry that the Apostles did not fully understand was that He had to die and b e resurrected.
This was too far beyond understanding - until they experienced it.
Why if they understood?:
Did he tell them:
The seed is the Word of God.
The ground is men’s hearts.

The OT prophets did not understand the suffering.

The disciples tripped over being told flat out what would happen.

The understanding of the disciples (yet to become apostles) increased after his resurrection.

John 2:22 kjv
22. When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Seeing the resurrected Jesus must have had an impact on their understanding.

The disciples still needed the Holy Sporit at Pentecost to empower their being the sent ones.

Evidently there are still changes awaiting them and others at the last trump.

We are not yet what we shall be.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

IMHO tradition tells us that parables as used by Jesus taught no facts to the multitudes, but the disciples understood.

The text (still IMHO) shows that they heard the facts from Jesus. Now IMHO Elihu (the whirlwind speaker) is the only one saying man has a spirit that understands.

Matthew 13:18 kjv
18. Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

Tradition about parables wants to give man a lot of credit. The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth. In my case it takes swats and hugs to get me where I need to be, and I am not there yet.

If not for the title of this thread there would be no need for this conversation,

Mississippi redneck
eddif

The book Dual Heritage—The Bible and the British Museum (1986) states: “It may come as a shock to know that there is no word such as ‘cross’ in the Greek of the New Testament. The word translated ‘cross’ is always the Greek word [stau·ros´] meaning a ‘stake’ or ‘upright pale.’ The cross was not originally a Christian symbol; it is derived from Egypt and Constantine.”
Little by little the warp and woof of inaccurate religious teachings might be repaired, oh so slowly, for those seeking Truth. As Yhvh accomplishes in His Own Good Pleasure and Time.

Back