Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who is God obeying?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
R

Ruben

Ever wondered why God needs something to die because of sin? Is it in order to keep some universal balance correct or does God simply demand retribution?

Is there a law that commands God to punish and/or destroy anything defective and if this law does exist then who establish it?

If God has to destroy life because of sin then who is God obeying? I should think God being God He could do everything, even repair the sinners.

There's a couple dead animals in Eden to cover the nakedness of Adam and Eve after the fall. In this manner blood was shed for the sin they committed.
I'm sure others will help you with your question in greater detail. :wink:

Ruben said:
Ever wondered why God needs something to die because of sin? Is it in order to keep some universal balance correct or does God simply demand retribution?

Is there a law that commands God to punish and/or destroy anything defective and if this law does exist then who establish it?

If God has to destroy life because of sin then who is God obeying? I should think God being God He could do everything, even repair the sinners.

The wages of sin is death. We were all born with a sinful nature in our flesh so the flesh has to die so the Spirit can live. John 12:24. It's that simple. :)

Okay, that's all fine and good. Now would one of you take the time to explain why God has to have something die? Please spare me the 'cus it says so' and give me your own understanding of why something must die.

Ruben said:
Okay, that's all fine and good. Now would one of you take the time to explain why God has to have something die? Please spare me the 'cus it says so' and give me your own understanding of why something must die.

This is the beauty of the Gospel message, that God provided all that is needed to statsify His justice - rathering that expecting us to pay the price, God sent His Son Jesus Christ to pay it for us! Through the willing sacrifice of Himself, Jesus Christ, paid the price for you and me.

God is Holy - completely pure - as such He requires all that is around Him to be pure. Sin cannot enter Heaven. Yet, God loves us and wanted us to be in commune with Him - therefore, we are need to be made perfect. The OT rituals of sacrifice pointed to the time when a once and for all sacrifice would be offered - Jesus Christ.

When we come belief in Jesus Christ - God sees His righteousness, not our sinful behavior. He has redeemed us through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

aLoneVoice said:
This is the beauty of the Gospel message, that God provided all that is needed to statsify His justice - rathering that expecting us to pay the price, God sent His Son Jesus Christ to pay it for us! Through the willing sacrifice of Himself, Jesus Christ, paid the price for you and me.

God is Holy - completely pure - as such He requires all that is around Him to be pure. Sin cannot enter Heaven. Yet, God loves us and wanted us to be in commune with Him - therefore, we are need to be made perfect. The OT rituals of sacrifice pointed to the time when a once and for all sacrifice would be offered - Jesus Christ.

When we come belief in Jesus Christ - God sees His righteousness, not our sinful behavior. He has redeemed us through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Very, very good !!!!!!! :)

Ruben said:

we need to think of death as a stage in life. thats all it is. God being all Pure and all Holy can not have anything in His presence that is not clean so we must die to have our easter

Potluck said:
There's a couple dead animals in Eden to cover the nakedness of Adam and Eve after the fall. In this manner blood was shed for the sin they committed.
I'm sure others will help you with your question in greater detail. :wink:
It doesn't get much simpler than that. They tried to cover their shame (sin) with fig leaves, but that wasn't sufficient enough for God. So, HE had to sacrifice animals for their skins in order to sufficiently cover them. The problem was, that was only a temporal bandaid. It isn't good enough to cover for an eternity, hence the need for the Sacrficial Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world. Key word there is "take", as opposed to "cover".

I think you are all avoiding (perhaps not intentionally) the basic question of the OP: Why does anything at all have to die in order for sin to be forgiven?

For once :lol: , I do not have anything to say on this question.....

Well, Adam didn't need to die. He was suppose to live forever. Satan's rebellion caused God to issue a sentence of death to his soul. This wont be carried out until all things that caused the first sin to happen are past. Satan wants us to receive the same punishment he deserves. Adam though innocent in many ways, was disobedient, and the conseqeunces were that man became flesh or mortal, and was seperated from God, because God's unchangeably perfect and without fault. Which is why he had to die, a sacrifice be made and an acknowledgement of the sin. To God this is treason or adultery, helping the enemy if you will. But because he was tricked and was innocent. God made sure he had a chance to redeem himself.

For a millenium Jews waited on a messiah to deliver them. But he wasn't there national messiah they were hoping for. God has a plan, its all for his Glory, to show he is God, and that you must trust him and his word not others.

Doppleganger,
Thanks but this still does not answer the question of why does God demand something to die because of disobedience?

Your post opened another question. Why did God condemn Adam and Eve for falling prey to the master of deceptions? It seems to me that if I trick or deceive someone the fault rests on the deceiver not the deceived.

Ruben - if you do not mind me asking - what do you suggest?

What would you do instead?

I don't think I can help much, but my understanding of it came from a sermon on God's wrath.

God has the power to wipe the slate clean, and rid us of our sins with no sacrifice. As said earlier, He made the rules after all. However He can't do this because of how much He hates sin. He hates sin soo much that it can't just be removed without punishment.

When Jesus died on the cross it wasn't directly for us, we, as this post outlines, don't see the need for a sacrifice in this way like that. Jesus ultimately died for God, to satisfy His wrath and hate of sin.

Sorry that I'm not very good at explaining, hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Here is my point of confusion:

If God demands satisfaction and retribution for His hate and wrath and Jesus came to earth to live and die to abate the Father's anger then how can it be that Jesus said many time to 'see the Father look at Me'?

There is a contradiction in that Jesus demonstrated love toward humanity while God seems intent on venting His anger to the point of killing.

I don't get it, how can the two be married into the same cause when the Son is demonstrating love and the Father is portrayed as being so angry?

Reuben, there are times that my children do things that I do not like - when I punish them - does that mean I 'hate' them?

If I expect them to pay a consequence for their actions, does that mean I 'hate' them?

LoneVoice,
No the 'hate' idea is not mine. A lot of other people though have expressed belief in God's burning wrath.

Again, the Bible portrays God as fierce and angry while Jesus was portrayed as being meek in character. Jesus was slow and specific about what angered Him.

How can I look to the life of Jesus and study His perfect nature and then turn right around and read where God is so filled with rage against man that He can hardly hold Himself back?

Still, why does God need for something to die?

God hates the sin, He love the sinner. He hates sin for what it does to those He loves.

Have you looked at it from a justice point of view?

dancing queen,
Explain what you mean by 'justice point of view'?

Ruben - why are you seperating the two: God and Jesus - Jesus is the earthly manifestation of God - God clothed in human flesh. Jesus is God.

Therefore, Jesus is Love and God is Love. We only know what love is because God first loved us. 1 John 4:7-19

Back